SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#361771 - 02/19/13 10:24 AM Ode to Magnetic Tape a poem
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Ode to Magnetic tape

Oh magnetic tape! You changed the sound of history. You brought, music to the masses, and found an audience with me. Your easy to manipulate, and changed the world you see. Backwards and forwards, and looping with ease. You’re able to record multiple tracks, and make music to please.

#361820 - 02/19/13 11:08 PM Re: Ode to Magnetic Tape a poem [Re: analogcontrolfreak]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
And there are still many professional artists that still use magnetic tape even if it is later transferred to a digital format. It has a saturation and warmth that is still very desirable. It is also the reason tubes are still used as they provide a sound that can only be approximated digitally.

There isn't an electric guitarist I know of that doesn't prefer to use a tube amplifier.

#361849 - 02/20/13 08:27 AM Re: Ode to Magnetic Tape a poem [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Nigel, some jazz purists actually prefer amps like the Polytones and Jazz Choruses, which are transistor all the way.

I now prefer the JazzKat PhatKat. It's transistor, with a tube pre-amp. Pretty cool.

In fact, I just sold one of my 73 Super reverbs, and may sell more of my tube amps to raise money for a charity.

But, you can be sure that I'll keep a couple of old tube units and "crank em up" occasionally, for old time's sake.

And, of course, there's a special little 84 Super Champ I'm hanging onto for a special friend.

Russ
(man, that little Super Champ sounds GOOD!)

Edited by captain Russ (02/20/13 08:27 AM)

#361910 - 02/21/13 01:51 AM Re: Ode to Magnetic Tape a poem [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I am well aware of the Polytones and Jazz Choruses and they are great amps. But not for guitarists that are after some transient distortion ... then tubes can't be beat.

I am also using a Traynor K4 for keys onstage which is transistorized with an AX7 tube preamp and can double for guitar amplification. Very flexible.

That Paul Rivera really knows how to design tube amps doesn't he.

#398684 - 01/25/15 06:39 PM Re: Ode to Magnetic Tape a poem [Re: Nigel]
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online