SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#365911 - 05/02/13 11:00 AM Re: trying to write a software PC based arranger [Re: stephen.hazel]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Stephen those high notes are probably drum or percussion parts for a proprietary drum map...what is the base style (brand) you are using?

Also get hold of an app called Midi-Ox (free) as it is brilliant for capturing all midi and sysex data.

AS a rul Bass tracks follow the root, however there can also be slash chords ("On Bass") variations and the user can also set the bas to lowest note of the chord being entered..They sound similar, but are really quite different.

And for anything arranger based they are mandatory imo. Phrase tracks follow the chordal progressions using the same harmony rules mentioned earlier.

It is sounding like you are making good progress...have you had a chance to investigate a CS further? I agree with Diki in that this would be an ideal app to start off with, and it would prove to be quite popular I feel...

Dennis

#365912 - 05/02/13 11:01 AM Re: trying to write a software PC based arranger [Re: stephen.hazel]
miden Offline

rotfl oh and apology accepted!!!

#365914 - 05/02/13 11:49 AM Re: trying to write a software PC based arranger [Re: stephen.hazel]
stephen.hazel Offline

Loc: WA, USA
Well I've found the C9 note - it's not in a drum channel, it's in a chord one. I've almost got it tracked down I think. Maybe it's just in this one .STY file and I'll just strip it out. We'll see.
If it's not an obvious thing, don't worry about it.

I do have some details to work out with how slash chords are arranged. Unless it's easy to explain, I think that'll happen a bit later.

As for ReChord, it's only in the "think it through" phase at the moment. But seems like it won't be too tough. I'll probably rip out the code in my MidiConfiger program that echoes midi events so you can tell if an input midi device is responding ok.

I'll make it dump whatever raw midi events it finds into a file and one of you folks can run it and send me that file. (As I don't have an arranger keyboard). Then once I can figure out the midi events to collect, respond to and send, I'll be good to go.

#365917 - 05/02/13 12:31 PM Re: trying to write a software PC based arranger [Re: stephen.hazel]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A CS has no need to respond to anything other than simple MIDI notes, on the channel designated by the arranger as the NTA. It needs to clock TO the arranger (otherwise it will override your Performance tempo settings and any rits or accels you make) but other than doing that, the CS is nothing more than a simple MIDI looper.

You don't need 'Chord Events' or any of that malarkey. All you are doing is recording the MIDI notes played in the Chord Reception area of the arranger, and looping them back into the arranger unchanged.

Pretty simple, really....

#365921 - 05/02/13 01:26 PM Re: trying to write a software PC based arranger [Re: stephen.hazel]
stephen.hazel Offline

but in order to sync to the arranger keyboard's clock, I need to listen for those midi clock events. I haven't messed with those in the past. PianoCheetah has never cared about them before.

So ReChord will need to do that correctly. So I'll kind of need a midi recording of, say, 3 chord changes.

#365923 - 05/02/13 01:50 PM Re: trying to write a software PC based arranger [Re: stephen.hazel]
miden Offline

Just thinking some more about this...I am not sure it is as easy as it sounds..

afaik, when the CS is engaged on the keyboards that use it, it does record the notes played, but then when you select play, the CS then automatically drops you out of having the keybed control the chord input to the CS controlling chord input, and the reverse when stopping the CS.

Now as I see it, if an external CS (which is as Diki said - essentially just a midi note recorder and playback app) is used, where is the command, (which I suspect is sysex), to perform this same function.

Seems to me when using an external CS one would also need to tap the chord recognition zone tabs to off so the user can use the full keyboard without it generating chord data to the arranger engine.....although I guess it may not really be a biggie as most of the arrangers have a button of this sort on the panel and it is a easy and quick task to do.

Dennis

#365967 - 05/03/13 07:03 PM Re: trying to write a software PC based arranger [Re: stephen.hazel]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Actually the Roland system would still respond to played input... At least I seem to remember that. Basically, to be able to use the LWR area to play on while the CS played uninterrupted, all you need to do is go from LWR1 to LWR2 and the MIDI channel should change, avoiding the chord recognition, or set the arranger to respond to NTA only.

TBH, most of the time you use the CS, it's for doing far more expressive lead sounds with a lot of bender use, or another instrument or keyboard, so confusing your arranger with unwanted notes isn't a huge issue.

#365972 - 05/03/13 10:03 PM Re: trying to write a software PC based arranger [Re: stephen.hazel]
miden Offline

I used it almost exclusively for playing piano solos and comping - I don't really get into playing other instrument solos...

I stick with piano EP and organ...there is just something odd about a sax or a trumpet or a flute....or whatever!!...coming out of a keyboard.

BUT....I do NOT criticise anyone who does choose to do them...so please don't read it the wrong way....only saying my preference

#365974 - 05/04/13 12:08 AM Re: trying to write a software PC based arranger [Re: stephen.hazel]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Stephen,
the high notes you're hearing could be mega voices if it's
a Tyros or newer psr style?
How are you actually studying the Yamaha styles?

I used to do my Yamaha to korg style conversions, by changing the .sty extension to .mid. Good way of studying the style structure.

There's already at least 3 Yamaha style players around.
Dan's VArranger, which plays Ketron, Yamaha & Roland styles.
There's Live styler and One Man Band, though not sure if Jos is still supporting & doing upgrades??

I'm getting a tad rusty on Yammies as I've mainly been editing & converting styles across to my korg's for the last 3 to 4 years.

The style structure is different between the brands.

Originally Posted By: stephen.hazel
Well I've found the C9 note - it's not in a drum channel, it's in a chord one. I've almost got it tracked down I think. Maybe it's just in this one .STY file and I'll just strip it out. We'll see.
If it's not an obvious thing, don't worry about it.

I do have some details to work out with how slash chords are arranged. Unless it's easy to explain, I think that'll happen a bit later.

As for ReChord, it's only in the "think it through" phase at the moment. But seems like it won't be too tough. I'll probably rip out the code in my MidiConfiger program that echoes midi events so you can tell if an input midi device is responding ok.

I'll make it dump whatever raw midi events it finds into a file and one of you folks can run it and send me that file. (As I don't have an arranger keyboard). Then once I can figure out the midi events to collect, respond to and send, I'll be good to go.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#365975 - 05/04/13 07:36 AM Re: trying to write a software PC based arranger [Re: rikkisbears]
stephen.hazel Offline

Hi RickisBears,

Ok, regardless of what those C9 notes are they sound terrible, so I put in some logic to strip notes outside the standard 88.

I'm now on track to have a band-in-a-box-ISH style arranger next weekend (bare bones text lead sheet+.STY=>.MID). But it won't arrange chords EXACTLY as yamaha does. It will keep all .sty notes within the chord and follow the CASM, etc.

Regardless of whether it's actually done, I plan on starting a chord sequencer-ish program next weekend. We'll see how that goes.

So I think I'm good with my questions for now. I'll come back and bug everybody if I come across some more.

thanks !

...Steve

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online