SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#370977 - 08/23/13 08:28 AM Re: My New Toy!! [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Maybe Roland should "INCLUDE the Ipad" with the purchase of the BK9....or should have designed instead of the dual screens a Docking mount for it on deck,....seems weird to me to have to buy an optional Ipad for a new KB, but hey thats just me,..IMO they had their chance for real greatness with the BK9 by adding just a few more necessities people were asking for which I'm sure they wouldn't mind paying for included,..,eg: a good VH,
BIG Touch screen, etc. That said its still a good arranger KB.

#370981 - 08/23/13 08:55 AM Re: My New Toy!! [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I might be interested in one if it accepted the foot FS7.
DonM

#370982 - 08/23/13 09:41 AM Re: My New Toy!! [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Don,
I am so new to this OS I am not sure yet what I can and can't do. It is not intuitive.
Right now I am going through the manual page by page and following all the instructions to see what I can learn. Good thing I have a lot of time on my hands this week.

The Ipad app works really great. But that is just another piece of gear to drag around plus a stand.

Deane

#370983 - 08/23/13 09:46 AM Re: My New Toy!! [Re: hammer]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: hammer
Don,
I am so new to this OS I am not sure yet what I can and can't do. It is not intuitive.
Right now I am going through the manual page by page and following all the instructions to see what I can learn. Good thing I have a lot of time on my hands this week.

The Ipad app works really great. But that is just another piece of gear to drag around plus a stand.

Deane
Originally Posted By: hammer
Don,

Deane

Can you compare the styles and their usability ?are they busy or over orchestrated compared to Yamaha or Roland.I know Dikki has one but he is not OMB/arranger player ,if I'm not mistaken.

#370984 - 08/23/13 11:09 AM Re: My New Toy!! [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Jamman,
Let me know which styles you want to hear. I'll put some simple sample up on a share site. I don't have time to do it now but will look at it next week after I learn how to use the keyboard.

Deane

#370985 - 08/23/13 11:35 AM Re: My New Toy!! [Re: hammer]
rb293 Offline

Loc: Binghamton, NY USA
I just ordered a new Korg Kronos 73 and it should be here Monday... Thought it would be a nice addition with my T4.... Sure hope I like it... You can layer up to 16 sounds which should be fun... Hope you enjoy your Bk9... I think they are all good keyboards but it is just personal taste. Now the learning curve... SHould only take me a couple of years...!!!! Keeps the mind sharp... Ron

#370990 - 08/23/13 12:50 PM Re: My New Toy!! [Re: hammer]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Bottom line about the iPad apps is, they don't do ANYTHING that the BK-9 can't... they simply speed up the ability to do them.

And, if you are the kind of player that sets up a Songbook, you don't really need to get to that sort of stuff on the gig... you've worked it all out and set it up beforehand (although I'd say an FC-7 is a necessity, and the connector is on the BK-9, DonM!).

However, if you are the kind of player that sort of muddles through, or just does stuff off the top of your head, the iPad apps can save you considerable grief scrolling around like a madman. I agree that Roland chose poorly, dropping the superb touch screen OS from the G/E series, but this may very well have been a cost issue, as Roland came out with the MUCH less expensive BK3/5/7m first, and they somewhat dictated how the line would go. Would have probably taken a major redesign to include a touch screen when the code was already well tested and established for the BK-5/3/7m's non-touch ones.

Hammer, have you got the BK-9 Performance Editor yet? That's the one I'm the most interested in, as it does seem to be the missing screen we all want. The Partner app doesn't really do hardly anything you can't from the front panel. But the Performance Editor seems to be the app that saves you from scrolling and pressing with the data wheel altogether.

Not much mention has yet been made about Roland's Numeric and Favorites data access. Took me a while to get used to it (it's brand new), but basically, when looking for Performances, or sounds, etc, the ten buttons for sound access turn into eight buttons to select things, and 0 and 9 turn into page up and page down buttons. It's actually quite quick to run through stuff and select with these.

And, while my main work at the moment is live bands, I do do solo and duo gigs. Admittedly, I used little arranger mode doing these, as, being a full two handed keyboard player, tying one up to repeat the same damn chords over and over strikes me as ridiculous. But I am having enormous fun at home with the BK-9 in arranger mode, now that the Chord Sequencer is back. I have no doubt, once I get it all prepped up, I will be using that a LOT more than I used to.

It really is a great successor to the G70. I have no doubt this will be my go-to keyboard fairly shortly.

#370991 - 08/23/13 01:30 PM Re: My New Toy!! [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Diki,
The Performance Editor App won't run on my ipad. I still have the old one.

Deane

#370992 - 08/23/13 01:31 PM Re: My New Toy!! [Re: hammer]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I'm wondering how practical the iPad is... Where do you position it? Does it need a stand? What if you're already using an iPad for lead sheet display?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#370993 - 08/23/13 02:20 PM Re: My New Toy!! [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Paul,
you got it right. I already put mine away. The BK Partner App allows you to select
variations and a few other things but nothing that cant' be done live once you get a feel for the keyboard. I thought it was a must have item but have changed my mind. Now, I did not use the Performance Editor and that might be different.

Deane

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online