SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#373488 - 10/25/13 08:00 AM Has BK-9 lost its thunder to Tyros 5........
Dnj Offline

Seems like the BK9 just cam out and now it's mute in conversation lately,......for that matter so is everything else compared to T5.....I have asked my self what can the T5 possibly do that I can't do on my S950 or any of the other great arrangers on the market already, like BK9, Pa3x, Pa900, Audya, etc, ?.....if it's not "miles ahead" of the T4 I'm not interested....but if it's Lighter, Smaller, then previous, and has some Professional Features that are really impressive I could see myself looking more into it, otherwise same old .. cool2

#373497 - 10/25/13 09:19 AM Re: Has BK-9 lost its thunder to Tyros 5........ [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For starters, the T5 will be at least double the price of a BK-9. So any comparison to a BK-9 will be like putting a Camry up against a Ferrari!

Secondly, there isn't enough information out about the T5 to make an informed comparison. Of course, this won't stop the usual breathless speculation and Christmas-like anticipation, even from those probably already aware that will never afford one of these overpriced arrangers...

At it's price, it had BETTER be miles ahead of anything else! TBH, at the moment, compared to a PA3X, I don't see what it has that makes it so much more expensive. Other than the might of Yamaha's marketing behind it, and the somewhat blind partisanship of many of its players. Watch them line up in the next few weeks to praise something they haven't yet laid eyes on!

#373504 - 10/25/13 10:01 AM Re: Has BK-9 lost its thunder to Tyros 5........ [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Seems like the BK9 just cam out and now it's mute in conversation lately,......

I didn't feel the BK-9 had a whole lot of thunder to begin with, Donny...it was a very nice effort on Roland's part, but certainly doesn't perpetuate the legacy of the earlier G-series. The keybed has no aftertouch, a pretty serious omission considering it is now as far up Roland's arranger ladder as you can climb...easily reached, even by those with severe acrophobia. smirk

If it didn't have 76-keys, I'm pretty sure sales would have been very dismal indeed.

Strange Fran hasn't mentioned much about it either...last I heard, he was waiting to play one before deciding if it's worth adding to his kit.

Ian

#373506 - 10/25/13 10:16 AM Re: Has BK-9 lost its thunder to Tyros 5........ [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I guess the BK series units fill a nitch of soughts & price point for those who like it,.....but as Diki said above it would
"be like putting a Camry up against a Ferrari!" Too bad Roland didnt go full force into the TOTL arranger market again.

#373508 - 10/25/13 10:56 AM Re: Has BK-9 lost its thunder to Tyros 5........ [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj
I guess the BK series units fill a nitch of soughts & price point for those who like it,..... Too bad Roland didnt go full force into the TOTL arranger market again.

The BK-9 definitely fills a niche...as I said, it's a great effort by Roland.

It certainly is reasonably cheap, and the SuperNatural sounds and relatively livelier than most styles (which I feel are better than G-70) certainly make it an attractive package for those looking for decent bang for their buck.

I also believe, from what was posted on SZ, that dedicated Roland users were really hoping for another iteration of the G-70 (the G-90?) and I think more than a few were disappointed when Roland didn't deliver.

Maybe they do have a TOTL in the works...time will tell.

Ian

#373510 - 10/25/13 11:28 AM Re: Has BK-9 lost its thunder to Tyros 5........ [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Yamaha does have a way bringing everyone out of the woodwork when it comes to a new arranger release!! wave

#373516 - 10/25/13 01:24 PM Re: Has BK-9 lost its thunder to Tyros 5........ [Re: Dnj]
rosetree
Unregistered

As I've been a Roland fan for many years (more regarding the SRX expansion board library though) I really hoped they would be successful with the BK-9. To me, a lot depends on the BK sound collections: will they include a lot of SRX sounds etc. Unfortunately, some of the youtube videos about the BK-9 do not promote it very well, and there are a lot of Roland haters leaving questionable comments. The double display was a marketing flaw, it immediately suggests that Roland wanted to cut costs on this model, and stupidly, many people are more impressed by large displays than by good sounds.

#373543 - 10/25/13 10:29 PM Re: Has BK-9 lost its thunder to Tyros 5........ [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
As far as I am concerned, having a BK-9 and two G70's...

Other than the lack of a touch screen (and the iPad apps can return that functionality, mostly) and the 2 UPR/1 LWR 1MBASS rather than 3 UPR/2LWR/1MBASS, as far as I care everything else is BETTER on the BK-9, at least when it comes to sound.

Drums and bass are a massive improvement, B3 sim is a massive improvement, guitars are a massive improvement (SN guitars are to die for!), percussion is a massive improvement. Just about every element in the G70's soundset has been matched or bettered.

Insert effects is massively improved... G70 had 1 MFX (2 if you used some cables and some fancy programming), BK-9 has 5. With parameters you can assign to sliders. Big improvement!

Yes, sadly, the touch screen went, along with the TOTL action, aftertouch, and the 3 UPR parts (and the harmonizer, which I don't use). But in return, we got the return of the chord sequencer (hurray!) and easily sync-able audio loops, triggered either by keys or by footswitches. A worthy trade off, IMO.

We also got a drop of more than HALF the G70's weight (to less than 21 lbs for a good feeling 76!) and still a nice crisp action, albeit no aftertouch (which again I didn't use a lot on the G70). And, the icing on the cake, it came in under $1000 less than the G70, street price.

I'll say that again... $1000!

That, IMO puts it more in comparison with an E60, which it quite destroys... All in all (and you know how big a G70 fan I am!), I have no regrets about getting the BK-9. As far as I am concerned, Roland do not yet make an arranger comparable to the G70 for it's build and keybed, touch screen and superb action (and extra UPR/LRW Parts). But if they took the BK-9 and merely grafted on those things alone, it would easily beat out the G70 (and cost as much!).

Screen issues aside (and the iPad apps fix that problem, mostly), the BK-9 is destined to be my main axe, soon... If you are worried about sound issues, don't be. Don't let wanky demonstrators sour you on this arranger. Listen to the GOOD ones. I recommend these: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaPietradelParagone/videos as they are all live arranger playing. This is what a BK-9 CAN do. If you are good..!

#373560 - 10/26/13 06:04 AM Re: Has BK-9 lost its thunder to Tyros 5........ [Re: Dnj]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
DNJ. Your catching the Keyboard Flu , I see you in a T 5 like all of us.

#373562 - 10/26/13 06:39 AM Re: Has BK-9 lost its thunder to Tyros 5........ [Re: musicforyourday]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: musicforyourday
DNJ. Your catching the Keyboard Flu , I see you in a T 5 like all of us.

I've had Tyros units in the past.....just too much real estate for my needs,...glad I got my flu shot wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online