SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#377111 - 12/04/13 12:06 PM Technical expertise or musicianship?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
We talk a lot about design improvements and features; particularly when new boards (like the T5) are introduced.

Yet, some of the best players here and elsewhere are content with, say 10 style settings and a descent selection of tones.

Uncle Dave is one here who puts musicianship above technical programming expertise.

Likewise, here and elsewhere, some of the least talented players are the biggest gear heads.

Same is true on the film/photography and graphics fields. While it is necessary to know enough to get the job done, it looks to me, for instance, that the dude who knows every nuance of a lens is rarely more than an adequate, usually uninspired, photographer.

The only gear head I know who is also a superior practitioner is our man Diki.

What do you think?

Russ (can't change a battery in a flashlight) Lay

#377114 - 12/04/13 12:31 PM Re: Technical expertise or musicianship? [Re: captain Russ]
Bachus Offline

Well, i am an electronics engineer and ICT man in real life.. which reflects on my hobby i guess, making music with computers and synths and arrangers. making music makes me relax.

Have to admit that my technical skills are on the other opposite of the spectrum as my musical skills, and i dont aspire to be a Jordan rudess, as long as i can make the synths do what i want them to do, and make my arrangers sax sound as close to a real sax, i am happy..

As a technician however i am very much interested how sound is created and how it can be controlled and even programmed. I am as far from a performing musician as you can probably get on these boards. Yet making music is fun and like said many times before, it makes me unstress after a long days of work.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#377125 - 12/04/13 03:14 PM Re: Technical expertise or musicianship? [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bachus has described himself as a serious hobbyist and that's great. That means that he is much more likely to push the technical envelope than your average pro musician who is probably leaning much more towards the (purely) musical side of things. So if the question were "who is more likely to push manufacturers for newer and more spectacular features, the musician or the technophile, I'd say the technophile. Whether or not they would be the RIGHT features to make a true musician a better player is up for question. The musician wants a Stradivarius, the technophile wants a lightweight plastic replica with a built in sampler and an off/on switch.....and oh yeah, it should also have good brass and guitars.

As to the original question, musicianship or technical expertise, I would have to say musicianship; for the simple reason that one can be taught (learned), the other, not so much.

JMO,

chas

#377126 - 12/04/13 03:52 PM Re: Technical expertise or musicianship? [Re: captain Russ]
Tostie Offline

Being a hobbyist myself, I don't care at all about programming registrations and utilizing all the options an arranger keyboard gives me.

I can become technical (I think I tried most of the Tyros' functions once), but for me, playing is the pleasure, not hours of programming, even if it makes life easier.

I fully agree with the last sentence of chas.

Edited by Tostie (12/04/13 03:53 PM)

#377127 - 12/04/13 04:01 PM Re: Technical expertise or musicianship? [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think I'm neither a gearhead or a superior practitioner, so I'd better not comment.
So here's my comment. We are playing arrangers (name of forum). They are computers with keys and buttons for control. It's o.k. to want the one that seems to be best suited for our needs. One would think that the newer models are more advanced so a lot of us want one.
Uncle Dave may not be a gearhead, but he sure tries everything that comes along that may advance his proficiency at what he does, entertain. Boards that I remember he had include X1 and several other Ketrons, several Yamahas, a few Rolands and several Korgs. He makes 'em all sound great, by the way.
I forget the point of the thread now, but at least it isn't about the latest T5 demo. smile

#377128 - 12/04/13 04:27 PM Re: Technical expertise or musicianship? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I guess I'm not a gearhead - I just use the best tools at my disposal to get the job done efficiently and effectively. Yeah, I know the innards of my personal equipment, but that's as far as it goes. I'm not nearly as talented as most of the folks on this forum and freely admit to this flaw in my musical skills. But, I do manage to get the jobs done, and my calendar is always filled to capacity so I must be doing something right. Like DonM I've even made hundreds of dollars doing this. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#377129 - 12/04/13 04:41 PM Re: Technical expertise or musicianship? [Re: captain Russ]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Gary, I still have the same gear I started with since I rejoined the music world and I too now can claim that I've also made hundreds of dollars, so I know that I'm not a techie.

#377130 - 12/04/13 04:54 PM Re: Technical expertise or musicianship? [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
For my work as a clinician/demonstrator, I had to know the instrument's features/functions very well (technical knowledge), and have the musicianship to present the instrument properly.

I tend to treat keyboards as musical tools, and spend time learning to operate them effectively, but, I also spend a good deal of time every day to keep my chops up.

I need both skills, but if I was to choose the more important one to me...it would be musicianship.

Ian

#377131 - 12/04/13 05:32 PM Re: Technical expertise or musicianship? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boo, we're both too poor to be techies - that takes more money than we've made. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#377151 - 12/04/13 11:11 PM Re: Technical expertise or musicianship? [Re: captain Russ]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Truth be told few people have raw natural talent that sets them apart from the masses. Sure there are exceptions, but natural talent that borders on virtuoso or prodigy isn't as common as one might think.

In my experience you either have innate talent or you don't. Anyone can learn to play and instrument but few are born masters of their instrument. Those I've met who were taught how to play usually lack that certain something that sets them apart from the pack. Again there are exceptions but rare ones at that.

I could learn to play guitar but I'd never play like Chet Atkins or Eddie Van Halen no matter how much I practiced. Same goes for Piano. Just because I can strike the keys doesn't make me Mozart, far from it.

The biggest thing I've learned from being in the music business for so long is true talent is rare and mediocrity is the norm. I'm always amazed when I see live talent just how bad the majority of it is. The problem is too many people coddle those near them, praise them even though they lack talent, and propagate the sea of mediocrity in the music world. I don't profess to be a great musician but I do have the common sense to know my abilities or lack thereof. I've been fortunate enough to do well playing music, composing music, recording music, and helping others. I play music for myself and if others like it, great. If not that's fine too.

The one reality most people don't want to face is reality. Lack of talent is exactly that and few people can take criticism well be it constructive or otherwise.

As for gear... I'm no technofile but I make it a point to learn my equipment to use it to its full potential. No amount of gear can make up for lack of ability no matter how much money you spend. It would be pointless for me to know the inner workings of my gear if I couldn't play it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online