SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#381322 - 01/13/14 11:29 AM Tekkie help requested - HD / cable question
justforfun000 Offline

Loc: Canada

(Also posted in Ketron. Wanting to make sure I have the widest audience in case you might be able to comment on this)

As I mentioned on another post, I was unsuccessful at hooking up the SD1 hard drive directly to a computer. It can't "see" it properly in order to open up and see the files.

However I still have the cable to connect from the SD1 to computer and I can use the Ketron FT utility program. All good. Just one small hiccup. I need to use an adaptor cable to change the serial port end to a USB.

So will this work automatically? Do I need to change anything within the XP control panels regarding the ports? Is it possible the FT program will naturally do this? I know very little about the nuts and bolts of these things. It's my last chance to get this working short of looking for a very old computer with a male serial port it could be plugged into, but then I don't even know if one that old would also have a USB port so I can save them on a thumb drive.

Would greatly appreciate any help!

#381338 - 01/13/14 02:16 PM Re: Tekkie help requested - HD / cable question [Re: justforfun000]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: justforfun000

(Also posted in Ketron. Wanting to make sure I have the widest audience in case you might be able to comment on this)

As I mentioned on another post, I was unsuccessful at hooking up the SD1 hard drive directly to a computer. It can't "see" it properly in order to open up and see the files.

However I still have the cable to connect from the SD1 to computer and I can use the Ketron FT utility program. All good. Just one small hiccup. I need to use an adaptor cable to change the serial port end to a USB.

So will this work automatically? Do I need to change anything within the XP control panels regarding the ports? Is it possible the FT program will naturally do this? I know very little about the nuts and bolts of these things. It's my last chance to get this working short of looking for a very old computer with a male serial port it could be plugged into, but then I don't even know if one that old would also have a USB port so I can save them on a thumb drive.

Would greatly appreciate any help!

There are many USB to serial port adaptors available, (Just do a quick Google search) and when plugged in, the computer will just see it as a serial port. (Make sure XP is connected to the internet as it may need to download a driver from the Windows Update site, or you can do a search for a driver)
NOTE: You will also need to purchase a serial cable.

The Ketron software you mention should find the serial port with no problem, however make sure the adaptor is plugged in and working before loading the Ketron software.

Hope this helps

Bill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online