SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#388104 - 04/19/14 07:26 AM Re: Powered speakers - wow [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Thanks for the reply
Yesterday I did that and looked at reviews on these posted by all the major stores. I'd say it seems like very few negative posts. I even called two stores and asked about reliability. Seems to be a big seller and really no negatives. Only one post mentions your problem. Of course there's always the odd bad one in the bunch. Did both of your speakers give you a problem? Did you send them back and try a different set to see if it was just a bad speaker or a design problem ?
I figured these were Chinese made but I don't think that always means something is bad. Just made with cheap labor. I think even Apple does it.

Bill...

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/speakers/active_speakers/dxr/?mode=series#tab=feature

check them out then call Frank.. wink

PS you comin to the jam July 20th...not too far from cape may wink

Edited by Dnj (04/19/14 07:28 AM)

#388105 - 04/19/14 07:35 AM Re: Powered speakers - wow [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Donny
Love the Yamaha stuff but its price and weight of the 12" or 15" that bother me. With a set of 10" I'd need to hold onto my Crate keyboard amps for bigger situations. With the JBL's I could cover most anything with two 32 lb speakers. Small jobs use just one. I've been messing around with my bass pedals on my BK9 and it looks like the JBL's could handle that too.
I know, I know no stereo image using one but compromise is always there. I would keep my small PA which is stereo.

Love to make the JAM but I've been beating the bushes for some Summer work, not all music related, so I don't know my schedule yet.

Edited by Bill Lewis (04/19/14 07:38 AM)

#388106 - 04/19/14 07:47 AM Re: Powered speakers - wow [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Donny
Love the Yamaha stuff but its price and weight of the 12" or 15" that bother me. With a set of 10" I'd need to hold onto my Crate keyboard amps for bigger situations. With the JBL's I could cover most anything with two 32 lb speakers. Small jobs use just one. I've been messing around with my bass pedals on my BK9 and it looks like the JBL's could handle that too.
I know, I know no stereo image using one but compromise is always there. I would keep my small PA which is stereo.

Love to make the JAM but I've been beating the bushes for some Summer work, not all music related, so I don't know my schedule yet.

The DXR8's will blow your mind...seriously headphone

#388108 - 04/19/14 08:48 AM Re: Powered speakers - wow [Re: Bill Lewis]
dtrue Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
It seems as though finding the right speakers for gigs usually comes down to weight vs sound quality. That seems to be narrowing down with new technology so that good sound quality and manageable weight can both be had in new speaker designs. 20 years ago lugging around big speakers didn't seem to bother me but I am at an end of gigging now that I am over 78. My last set of speakers were great sound but still pretty heavy. They are the Barbetta Sona SE-41's. I once played at an outdoor function with about 600 people and they worked great. Now they sit by my Tyros 4 unconnected!

Dick

#388110 - 04/19/14 09:25 AM Re: Powered speakers - wow [Re: zuki]
zuki Offline

So far, so good with the 10s. I can't imagine them rattling, as I'm playing every instrument under the sun with pure clarity. I cranked them to 3/4 too! Next would be breaking windows, so I suppose the job will tell the story smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

#388116 - 04/19/14 01:36 PM Re: Powered speakers - wow [Re: zuki]
Kytrinh Offline

Loc: Australia
I should also have added that i have a pair of JBL 510s as well, and one of them rattles really badly, took them in for service and they use glue to fix the some internal problem. Still rattles so i cut back on bass boost which helps.
Whilst the 515xt were relatively new i traded them for the HK Elements. Different price range so i cant compare.
Like Donny also suggest the Yamaha DXR series is worth considering too, the price is still not as good as the special on the JBLs, but the full range sound, power and built quality is unbelievable. Ive just added a DXS12 sub to go with the pair of DXR10s and.. Very nice..
I understand there are always bad apples but since ive experienced both same problems on different size JBLs, i can only give feedback, as others have done to help me with most of my purchases.
Btw, if only the price back then were the same as the ones you spotted Bill, then ill probably wont have much to complain about, its just that hitting one or two lower piano keys and hearing them rattle is rather annoying.. But do audition them first if you have have chance. This review is just a hint to what to look out for and yes the price is very good.
Regards
Ky

Edited by Kytrinh (04/19/14 02:03 PM)

#388117 - 04/19/14 02:10 PM Re: Powered speakers - wow [Re: zuki]
Bill Lewis Offline

Kytrinh

Thanks for the info, now I'm hesitant. Read all the online reviews and only one mentions this rattle problem. GC has a set and I'm going next week to see/hear.
Your Yamaha setup is really what I want but the price size and weight ( the sub is 70lbs) puts me off. I move my stuff in a Ford Edge. Pretty good size but not a van. Also with the way the work has been coming, or not coming, I can't justify dropping big bucks on a new system I really don't need. I have GAS (gear addiction syndrome) and I just want them because of the discount and the chance to downsize some of my PA stuff.

#388118 - 04/19/14 02:36 PM Re: Powered speakers - wow [Re: Bill Lewis]
Kytrinh Offline

Loc: Australia
Bill,
The price you suggested is fantastic, i only happen to find a small misfortune on my purchase and they do sound great when all is well. However do audition them, just pay a little attention to the lower notes and if all is well then you really cant go wrong for that price, they are light and looks nice as well, i love the fine touch of the lit up JBL logo..
Good Luck Bill!
Ky

#388185 - 04/21/14 03:00 PM Re: Powered speakers - wow [Re: zuki]
Bill Lewis Offline

Thanks Ky.
Going to GC this week to see the JBL's. Gonna beat one up with a keyboard to see if I can get it to rattle, LOL. Hopefully they'll give me a decent trade on my Crate KX220 keyboard amps. These amps are amazing and I used them with their stereo link function on my XK3 w/bass pedals. Plus boosting my DJ rig. Killer sound.
The JBL's will be more versatile for me and its just time to buy something !

#388289 - 04/23/14 04:05 PM Re: Powered speakers - wow [Re: zuki]
Bill Lewis Offline

JBL 515XT update. Went up to Guitar Center today to audition the JBL's. Thought it would be a nice quiet time at the store so I could really try them out. Store was pretty busy but I hooked up the salesmen I talked to on the phone.
Pros-- Extremly lightweight and easy to handle for a 15" cabinet. More like a lightweight 12" Nice rubber moulded handles and did I say LIGHT !
Great pro look. Black is always in style. Decent mixer with EQ onboard. Speaker was whisper quiet when turned on
It was busy in the store so all I got to hear was the salemens Ipod jacked in. Cranked it up and they are loud. Sound was so so but I attribute that to the lousy recording on the Ipod. Return policy if I hate them is 30 days so I would relly need to get them home and try out my stuff.
Cons -- brought ny keyboard amps for a trade. One of the salesmen and his friend are both Gospel musicians and they came right over when I wheeled the amps in. Hooked up a DP and the friend started jammin a funky gospel riff. The salesmen went over to a synth and started adding lines. A kid in the store was playing with a drum pad and joined in. They had the joint rockin -Praise the Lord, Can I Get a Witness !?
Bad news-- my amps sounded tremendous and are in mint condition, the church guys were very interested, both play Hammond and Piano, but GC wouldn't even come close to a decent trade price. Hopefully one of the church guys will call me soon and I can move forward. For now I'm "Stuck In the Middle Again"
If anyone is interested in a good deal thes JBL's are it. Originally lised for $899 now $399.

Edited by Bill Lewis (04/23/14 04:08 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online