SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#389399 - 05/31/14 07:54 AM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: Dnj]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
So in essence, b9ths, #9ths are out, and of course a Dm7b5, which is in the bridge of "Give Me A Kiss To build A Dream On," and there's one in "Give Me The Simple Life," when played in the key of Eb. I assume with one finger mode, it would be wise to use a midi on such tunes. I have maybe 20 midi files that I use. That doesn't bother me and they sound just like the original recording. So 11ths, 13ths etc. are out too! What about a sus4?

#389408 - 05/31/14 05:54 PM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: brickboo]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I'm sorry Brickboo but you're mistaken. The whole point of my post is that other chord types, including those you mentioned ARE playable in the "one-finger" modes.

I just tried on both my Roland and Korg. Flatted and sharp ninths can be played by pressing four notes (which is what you would have to do in any case.) Minor 7ths with flatted fifths also require pressing four notes, but are no problem. The arranger recognizes these chords and adjusts the accompaniment pattern as you would expect (for example, lowering the fifth by a half step.)

Elevenths are no problem, just add the 11th and you can hear the tension added to the pattern. Suspended fourths are easy: On Roland you just play the chord [1,4,5]. On Korg you can get away with only the root and the suspended fourth.

I had a really hard time figuring out 13ths, the machines kept defaulting to a 6th chord. However, by adding the 7th AND the 13th note, the Korg was able to play a 13th chord in Fingered 1. It's a reach of course, but the machine does recognize the chord. Sometimes there isn't any difference in playback of the style pattern between C11 and C13.

As I said above, there are a few limitations to one finger mode, but a lack of chord variety isn't one of them. Try it, you might be pleasantly surprised! -Ted

#389410 - 05/31/14 06:53 PM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: TedS]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... perhaps I am missing something here, but I would think that people using 'one finger chord mode' are only looking to play the most basic chords they can, perhaps due to the lack of knowledge of how to construct more complicated chords ... that being said, I would expect a MOTL or especially a TOTL keyboard to recognize whatever I am playing in the left hand below the 'split' location and play the appropriate chord - REGARDLESS of whether I am playing in 'one finger', 'multi-finger', or 'five fingers and two toes' mode ... grin
I do realize, however, that there are going to be some limitations ...
I guess people might use 'one finger' (I had somebody use that on me while driving the other day - I'm sure it wasn't anything 'minor' he was thinking about wink ) to easily play a Major chord just by playing the root, even though they may be constructing chords using 4 or 5 fingers like Ted ...

#389417 - 05/31/14 07:36 PM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony, some of the older keyboard didn't recognize the various fingered modes. Of course, I'm going back to the days of the PSR-5700 and earlier models of other brands.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#389423 - 06/01/14 10:52 AM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... yes Gary, and I was talking about today's boards ... although my technics kn1000 circa 1990ish had three fingering modes ...

#389424 - 06/01/14 11:11 AM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

One of my first arrangers in 1983....and it was one of the first made the KORG SAS-20 Personal KB that I used for a while didn't have all the fancy chord recognition's features of today either.
The cartridge was kool gave you a few more styles.....

http://www.korgpa.com/support/discontinued-products/korg-sas-20.html

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online