SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#392098 - 08/22/14 11:10 AM Polish wedding songs
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
… spent the last 20 years or so playing Italian restaurants, Italian weddings and Festas. So, I get asked to play a Polish wedding, pre-ceremony, ceremony and cocktails – 4 hours total. The pre-c while the bride and bride’s maids dress, then out to the garden for incidental music, then the ceremony. Need suggestions, the procession and recession are pretty much a given I think. Anyone have experience with Polish weddings? At what point do you do ‘Sto Lat’?
Ciao,
Jerry

#392100 - 08/22/14 11:30 AM Re: Polish wedding songs [Re: Jerry T]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sto Lat is primarily a birthday song.

Gary

Edited by travlin'easy (08/22/14 11:31 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#392103 - 08/22/14 12:28 PM Re: Polish wedding songs [Re: Jerry T]
Dnj Offline

I'd say your in a jam...get some polish mp3s asap

#392118 - 08/23/14 08:40 AM Re: Polish wedding songs [Re: Jerry T]
travlin'easy Offline

Go to this you tube link, then use the Youtube to MP3 conversion program and you should have all you need. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=polish+folk+songs+%26+dances

Good luck,

Gary cool

#392130 - 08/23/14 08:58 PM Re: Polish wedding songs [Re: Jerry T]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've done plenty of ethnic parties, and you don't need to OD on the music of the motherland. Except for the only Orthodox Jewish wedding I ever played (which will be my first AND last!) I have found that most parties respond to a nice mix. I'd suggest having maybe 1 or 2 polkas ready and maybe a few specialty numbers if you are aware of any, but they hired a well rounded, variety entertainer, not a specialty act ... make a nice playlist for break-time and ask the client for any special requests well in advance of the affair. Good luck!

#392132 - 08/24/14 05:22 AM Re: Polish wedding songs [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

I've done Polish affairs you better be ready to Polka, Waltz and Oberek all night!!

Edited by Dnj (08/24/14 05:27 AM)

#392142 - 08/24/14 10:13 AM Re: Polish wedding songs [Re: Jerry T]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
If you can come up with 9-10 Polish songs, you'll be the hit of the night. I must caution that once you start - if you are good - they'll want more, so split your stuff into two strings of 4-5 songs; that'll tire them out. You should always couple a polka with an oberek and/or a waltz. No Sto lat needed. If they're old Polish they might want the Chicken Dance and the Hokey Pokey. Heaven forbid they want a grand march; You can get by with When the Saints Go Marching In. There are a couple songs that are very traditional for the bridal dance, the veil and the bride dancing with her father. If it's that Polish, do a Google and you'll find all the old stuff out there. There used to be a thin book called 'Polish Wedding Songs' but it's now out of print and I've lost mine. I do have a good collection of Polish music if you need notes. Email me.

#392146 - 08/24/14 11:47 AM Re: Polish wedding songs [Re: Jerry T]
Dnj Offline

I love playing the "Grand March" it's so cool!!

#392152 - 08/24/14 04:35 PM Re: Polish wedding songs [Re: Jerry T]
travlin'easy Offline

I talked with my Polish friend about this today. He said first and foremost, you were hired for what you normally play - not to play Polish songs. He added that all you need is some upbeat songs, a few polkas, and the ability to read the crowd. If you can do that, you should not have a problem.

So the question is, how did they get your name? If someone heard you playing and liked what you played, then that's why they hired you. If it was a recommendation from someone else, then you need to communicate with the folks that hired you.

Good luck,

Gary cool

#392157 - 08/24/14 07:57 PM Re: Polish wedding songs [Re: Jerry T]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I would contact the bride, or whoever hired the band and ask if there are any special requests, or songs that will be required.

When I played polish weddings, I played the polish Wedding March on the accordion as the bride left the house.

There may be a special song for the Father Bride to dance, and the Mother and groom to dance.

There are special songs for the unveiling of the bride. There are about 10 verses that are handed out to the attendees to sing along during the unveiling. "Oczepiny” The unveiling of the bride is one of the oldest and the most important of Polish wedding customs. The song was Unveiling Of The Bride ( Spandla Zwiszni) followed by Beloved Mother (Serdeczna Matko.
)
"Sto lat" which literally translated means "one hundred years". Sto Lat, usually is sung by the guests that signifies 100 years of good health for the bride and groom.

They may ask for a dollar dance (The men line up and pay a dollar to dance with the bride.

If you are prepared ahead of time, and carry off all the requests you will probably get a good tip.

Here are some previews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00129RYVQ/ref=mu_dm_alb_dp

Regards,

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (08/24/14 08:10 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online