SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#39273 - 08/28/03 04:02 PM Codovox Sound Help
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
To my fellow Techies

If anyone is old to remember the Cordovox Accordian & Keyboard, you will remember it had a mello, tremelo, rather low pitch sound.

Some say the sound was ... let's just say... either you liked it or not

However, a friend of mine liked that sound and I was tring to duplicate it on the KN7000 for him, however, I can't seem to find the right tone. So if anyone is ambitious and has a little time on their schedule to edit a Sound that could pass for a Cordovox, I would be most grateful.

On second thought, members here are not old enough to remember the Cordovox, are they ?

Thank You My Friends,
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#39274 - 08/28/03 05:39 PM Re: Codovox Sound Help
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I played in bands where a Cordovox was used. All it really was was different organ sounds where the player did not have to pump the "squeeze box", regular accordian sounds where they had to pump it or the FAMOUS(?) Cordovox sound mixing an organ sound with the accordian. That was the "biggie"

Scott

#39275 - 08/28/03 08:44 PM Re: Codovox Sound Help
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Scott,
I think your right, it was the mixing of an accordian sound with an organ sound. I remember it being a tremelo, whirly sound. And yes, the accordian Cordovax, needed no squeezing, correct ?

My facts might not be correct, but I believe Moog bought out Cordovox in the '70's and made a Cordovox Keyboard.

Maybe others know more, but that's the sound I'm trying to edit on the 7000.

Thanks
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#39276 - 08/29/03 06:06 AM Re: Codovox Sound Help
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Larry,
I don't know for sure, but the only thing that I can think of would be that when playing the Cordovox with the accordian and organ sounds combined, one is generated by reeds and one by electronics. The point being that they would hardly ever be in exact tune and would generate a low beat that would result in an amplitude tremolo.
You might try setting up an accordian voice on Rt-1 and a drawbar voice on Rt-2. Then experiment with detuning one or the other (or both in opposite directions). Then try adding some LFO modulation (Ampltude on page 4 of the LFO settings)to compound the effect on the accordian voice.
I haven't tried this myself but it is what comes to mind.
Good luck and Regards,
Walt

#39277 - 08/29/03 07:38 AM Re: Codovox Sound Help
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
The first cordovox had the treble (right hand) keyboard lying side by side with the bass (left hand) keyboard.... I do not believe there was a 'reed' accordion sound...
A later model (which I played for a number of years) was made like an accordion with multiple sets of reeds, and all the electronic sounds as well ... along with the organ sounds it also had a very usable mandolin sound... especially when playing those wonderful Italian weddings in NYC...
t.

#39278 - 08/29/03 10:11 AM Re: Codovox Sound Help
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I think one good combination would be using Musette(French Accordian), I presume the 7000 has that. And mix with a mellow drawbar setting using the even numbered footages like 16,8,4 maybe 2. Try different combinations of those drawbars. If my memory servers me correctly the organ sound was more or less a straight tone with no leslie, tremolo or vibrato effect. Maybe vibrato, but then I don't know if you can put vibrato on an organ sound on your keyboard.

Scott

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online