SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39894 - 11/11/02 07:10 AM Problem With SD Writer
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
I've gone through the old messages where people had SD problems and don't find one like mine.

I bought a SanDisk 128 meg SD card, I then bought a sanDisk reader/writer. I can not get it to write to my SD card. I can make a back up with it fine. (at least I see the file on the HD and it appears to be ok.) I can NOT restore however. It goes through the motions and blinks it's light like it's writing. When I'm done nothing is there. It also deletes the files that are put on the SD card when I format it in the KN7000. The SD card appears to be ok since I was able to do the Restore from Song Manager via USB....the slow way. When I tell Song Manager to do the Restore with the Reader/Writer is when I have the problem.

I'm running Win98SE. I did find an upgrade at Microsoft for USB problems in SE. I also found newer drivers at San Disk for the reader/writer...same results.

Am I doing something wrong? or is it computer malfunction? Hardware? Software?

The computer I have hooked to the KN7000 is my old computer, it's an AMD K6-2 400. I have nothing running on that computer that should be interferring. I only use that computer for keeping music files and things for my keyboards. NO modem involved, no antivirus, no anything! HELP!!

Marilyn

I guess I could try installing it on this computer to see if the results are the same.

[This message has been edited by Marilyn Boissoneault (edited 11-11-2002).]

#39895 - 11/11/02 10:17 AM Re: Problem With SD Writer
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Marilyn
If it's any help to you, the USB reader/writer included with the KN7000 in the UK is:-
"the Panasonic SZ-CB7 SD Audio PC writing kit for Technics SX-KN7000" which also includes the SD-Jukebox V2.4 for recording audio files.
It sounds as though your SD card is OK, but I've got a feeling (and I hope I'm wrong) that your USB reader/writer may not be compatible with the KN7000. It could be be that it is reading/writing but the KN7000 cannot see the files. You could try formatting the SD card; taking note afterwards of the space in Kbytes left on the SD card and then using restore and then checking if the remaining space has changed.
John

#39896 - 11/11/02 11:09 AM Re: Problem With SD Writer
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Hi Marilyn,

I’m not sure that I totally understand what you are trying to accomplish. When you are using the card reader, it should appear to your computer as just another disk drive. To do a backup using the reader, you should make a folder on your computer hard drive and give it a name like “SD Card Backup”. Then with the SD card in the reader and using Windows Explorer, click on the drive name associated with your reader and you should see a folder named Private. Copy the Private folder from your SD card (while it is in the reader) to the folder that you have created for your backup. This puts the contents of the SD card into the “SD Card Backup” folder of your hard drive. If, for some reason, you want to restore the data that is on your hard drive to the SD card (or another card), just copy the files in the opposite direction. That is, copy the Private folder from the "SD Card Backup" folder of the hard disk of your computer to the SD card while it is in the card reader. None of this involves the KN7000. The Song Manager would not be used to restore data to the SD card via USB while the SD card is in a reader. The Song Manager expects to see the SD card in the KN7000.

Any time you format the SD card you will erase any data that was on the card as a part of the format process. I have used three different SD cards with my KN7000 and haven’t used the format process yet. It only needs to be used if somehow you have received an unformatted card, where you have a corrupted card, or as a means of complete card erasure.

#39897 - 11/12/02 06:23 AM Re: Problem With SD Writer

John, I kind of suspect you're right on the imcompatibility. I've wondered if that was it.At least it will read the SD card. I'll look around for that Panasonic one.

Bob, I've tried to write to the SD in the card reader using song manager and I get nothing. I also tried doing what you suggested, but that didn't work either. It won't let me write, gives me an error, I can't remember the exact message now. But either way it will write nothing on it. If I put it in the KN7000 I can save to it, I can also copy to it via the usb cable. I can not write to it via the SanDisk reader/writer. I was hoping someone here had oneof those Reader/writers and could tell me if their's works.

Thanks for the replies.

Marilyn

[This message has been edited by Marilyn Boissoneault (edited 11-12-2002).]

#39898 - 11/12/02 06:43 AM Re: Problem With SD Writer
technicsplayer Offline

Bob is also quite wrong again about song manager. The backup/restore to card reader is far superior to just copying the card in explorer with huge advantages in comparison. I've tried two readers - both panasonic, one usb the other pcmcia, both work ok...

#39899 - 11/12/02 08:36 AM Re: Problem With SD Writer
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Marilyn,
I had the same problem when I first tried to use the Song Manager and the SD card or with the KN7000. For some unknown reason I had to reinstall the the Sandisk Cruzer driver software and that solved the problem. Mine works fine now.
Walt

#39900 - 11/12/02 12:17 PM Re: Problem With SD Writer
Bob Hendershot Offline

My apologies to you Marilyn and to the rest of the forum. I had so much trouble trying to make the Song Manager work that I obviously gave up on the Song Manager too soon. Alec is quite right. It would have been better to say nothing until I was certain that I had the complete and correct facts. I have been totally successful for myself just making copies of the SD card at the computer and copying that data to a second card. It is quick, and it has worked fine for me. But it is not necessarily the best way. The backup and restore process with the Song Manager assures that a precise copy is made at the restore location. It also makes it possible to merge backups into a single larger SD card.

Thank you Alec. You mentioned huge advantages of using the backup and restore at the Song Manager. Could you be more specific about the advantages? This is obviously a subject that needs much clarification since so many people seem to be having trouble making the software work

#39901 - 11/12/02 03:04 PM Re: Problem With SD Writer

No Apologies needed Bob. When I ran into problems using the Restore in Song Manager I tried doing it the way you do it. I copied the 8 meg card to my Hard Drive and then tried to copy that to the SD card it wouldn't do that either. It will read it fine, Song Manager will do a back up. The backup is fine since I was able to restore it to the card via the usb cable. So far I have not been able to Write to the card if it's in the Reader/writer. If others can do it with the Sandisk reader, it must be a problem here. The model I have is SanDisk SecureMate USB for Secure Digital and MultiMediaCard. The number is SDDR33.

I have done reinstalls and so far that hasn't helped one bit. I'm out of ideas for now.

Thanks for all the help.
Marilyn

[This message has been edited by Marilyn Boissoneault (edited 11-12-2002).]

#39902 - 11/12/02 05:29 PM Re: Problem With SD Writer
Bob Hendershot Offline

Thanks Marilyn,
I am not familiar with the SanDisk reader that you have. I am using the little SanDisk Cruzer that is sold primarily as a portable USB drive. It comes with a removable SD card already in it and comes in various card sizes. And for some reason sells for less than the price of the card alone. It works fine for me. But your problem may be unrelated to the reader that you are using. You mentioned in your first post that you might try the reader and its' driver in a different computer. Did you try that and if so did it make any difference? I have a Smart Media reader here that refuses to read or write in one of my computers with Win98 Second Edition. It works with everything else. I use the little Cruzer reader in a Windows ME laptop. The fact that yours reads and doesn't write is baffling and makes you think that the reader is the problem.

#39903 - 11/12/02 06:06 PM Re: Problem With SD Writer
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Marilyn, Another thought. I don't recall if you ever said that your writer will write and read ordinary files, like a hard drive.
If your device is working, you should see it listed as a disk drive when you open Windows Explorer (only if there is an SD card in the reader). If it is there, try dragging any file from your hard drive to the Sandisk drive to see if will copy to the SD card. If so, you should then be able to drag that file from the SD card to any other place on your hard drive. If all this works then the problem is not with the Sandisk reader but probably with compatibility. You can always delete any files that you have copied during the experiment.
Walt

#39904 - 11/12/02 08:56 PM Re: Problem With SD Writer
Bob Hendershot Offline

That's a good point, Walt.

Another thought came to mind. If the little write protect switch on the side of the card is in the "lock" position you will be unable to write to the card. Is it possible that the switch has been accidently moved to the locked position?

#39905 - 11/13/02 02:18 AM Re: Problem With SD Writer
technicsplayer Offline

Well Bob, maybe its time for an SD tutorial then, to explain the way it should be done. But then you will have been doing it that way all along again, but strangely never mentioning it before my posts, always after...

#39906 - 11/13/02 05:59 AM Re: Problem With SD Writer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Marilyn,

I have the Scan Disk SDDR 73 Reader/Writer.
It works well. With the kind help of Alec and Bob Herdershot I am up and rolling.

Fran in Florida

#39907 - 11/13/02 06:22 AM Re: Problem With SD Writer

Where did you get your Reader/Writer? I might like to try that version.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran in Florida:
Marilyn,

I have the Scan Disk SDDR 73 Reader/Writer.
It works well. With the kind help of Alec and Bob Herdershot I am up and rolling.

Fran in Florida

#39908 - 11/13/02 06:38 AM Re: Problem With SD Writer

OK I had checked already and the lock is not on, so that wasn't it.

Yes it is listed as another drive. I have a digital camera so am familar with that 'extra drive'. But it won't let me write to that card in explorer either.

It goes through the motions and blinks the lights like it's writing, but nothing shows up. It does delete anything that is on the card though, but what it writes is not seen by either my computer or the KN7000. In fact the KN7000 wants me to format the card after my reader/writer does it's 'write".

Crazy. I'm suspecting the reader/writer......but last night just for kicks I tried Restoring to the 8 meg card, it could write to that one.

So is it my 128 msg SD card that I can't write to with the reader/writer....I can write to it via usb and I can write to it in the machine fine.

Mystery!

Marilyn

#39909 - 11/13/02 07:33 AM Re: Problem With SD Writer
Bob Hendershot Offline

Thank you Alec. We are all looking forward to your tutorial on use of the Song Manager and the SD card. I am certain that it will be well received by everyone. By the way, I didn't use the same procedure as you described with the loading of old files to the SD card in the reader. The only thing we did that was similar was to edit the string names in the kn7000mn.inf file. And, I got the original idea from you. Many thanks. This is mostly OBE now because of the KeySoft hard disk backup transfer software available now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online