SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#399203 - 02/06/15 04:34 PM DSF Symphonic Strings for Motif & MoxF - great!
rosetree
Unregistered

I installed these on my Yamaha MoXF flash board. 400 Megabytes just for a few string samples - and you hear it. These are the highest quality strings I have had on a hardware instrument so far. A few bars of Bach's "Jesus bleibe meine Freude". (The trumpet is not ideal, it is from the Garritan GPO Lite library. But the harpsichord is very good, also from the Garritan GPO).

https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/dsf-sy...e-freude-jsbach

#399208 - 02/06/15 06:03 PM Re: DSF Symphonic Strings for Motif & MoxF - great! [Re: ]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
rosetree,
Great strings..I would love to here this with French Horn or even English Horn instead of the trumpets.
Lee

#399209 - 02/06/15 06:12 PM Re: DSF Symphonic Strings for Motif & MoxF - great! [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

I'll redo it with an Integra classical trumpet or Flugelhorn. French Horn is not typical for this composition, so I won 't take it. English horn is a woodwind instrument like oboe, would be unusual too. But this trumpet, although it is not a bad trumpet sample, is a bit too acute for the tune, with the Integra options it will be more suitable.

#399220 - 02/07/15 03:37 AM Re: DSF Symphonic Strings for Motif & MoxF - great! [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Nice one, sounds really good..

Which makes me wonder again, why would anyone want to buy a Motif if they can get an MOxF for under €1000?

And another sad thing, why cant we run these Moitf libraries on our Tyros 5?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#399222 - 02/07/15 06:05 AM Re: DSF Symphonic Strings for Motif & MoxF - great! [Re: ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Exceptionally good strings, Rosetree, but, again, I must reinforce the fact that it's your playing skills that bring out the realism. Knowing how to phrase properly and play within the range of a string orchestra makes all the difference, in my opinion, and you have it down very well, indeed.

Ian

#399250 - 02/08/15 06:38 AM Re: DSF Symphonic Strings for Motif & MoxF - great! [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thank you. I agree phrasing is quite important, and I think I learned it in my church organ lessons besides developing a feeling for the instrument you are emulating (in this regard I'm better in brass as I used to play the trombone), but on the other hand the sample has to be really good, too, you can't turn a bad strings sample into a realistic one by the way of playing.
Regarding Tyros, I heard you could import such a library into the Tyros flash by multiple painstaking steps through the voice editor via computer, but not virtually out of the box like you can with the Motif/MoXF. (With the MoXF I had to process it through the J.Melas waveform editor, but that was a simple .x0 import and .x3 export.)

#399275 - 02/08/15 04:22 PM Re: DSF Symphonic Strings for Motif & MoxF - great! [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

The strings are even more realistic now: this time I chose the small ensemble samples consisting of only 5 violins/violas instead of 15/10. The trumpet is from the Roland Integra now, the Expansion SuperNatural Classical trumpet with increased cutoff so that it is particularly soft.

https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/demo-2...-a-trumpet-bach

#399277 - 02/08/15 06:54 PM Re: DSF Symphonic Strings for Motif & MoxF - great! [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Well done, Rosetree. I love Bach and I love listening to talented musicians like you playing Bach on keyboards. More, please!

#399299 - 02/09/15 08:47 AM Re: DSF Symphonic Strings for Motif & MoxF - great! [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thank you. The strings are so realistic now, I fear the Integra trumpet is beginning to sound slightly synthetic in the direct comparison :0

#399321 - 02/09/15 01:13 PM Re: DSF Symphonic Strings for Motif & MoxF - great! [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

However, judge for yourself, IMO these Roland SRX 04 strings from my Integra are also quite top notch, nearly comparable to the DSF ones, even if their sample size is much smaller, which causes shorter loops:

http://youtu.be/J0kCNVzCIqs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online