SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#40108 - 04/27/05 06:19 PM Internet Telephone has finally come of Age: Checkout Skype !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Technics Synthzone members & friends. I recently discovered Skype:
http://skype.com/

an internet telephone software which allows you to voice chat (UNLIMITED & totally FREE) online (PC to PC) to anyone anywhere around the world that has a PC as well. A couple of years back, I had used "Dialpad" for free internet telephone voice chatting, but the poor signal quality (voice delay, echo, static & drop outs), and limited talk time before calls got automatically dropped, soon became annoying.

With "Skype", a fast DSL/Cable speed PC internet connection, and a 'headset w/mic', those annoyances are now a thing of the past. With Skype, you can talk (unlimited talk time & FREE) to anyone anywhere in the world who also has a PC with a DSL/Cable speed connection, and a headset w/mic. The voice sound quality & clarity rivals a regular telephone connection and with no echo or delay to boot. In fact, I recently had an enjoyable free internet telephone conversation with an arranger keyboard buddy who lives in Belgium and it sounded like he was right next door to me here in California. There was no noticeable audible delay or any echo. By adding a Webcam, you can take the internet telephone experience a step further and not only hear the person on the other end play their arranger KB, but WATCH them (on LIVE video webcam) playing their KB as well. What a great way to demonstrate & share playing tips & techniques, etc with fellow SZ arranger keyboard enthusiasts anywhere around the world. Interested in internet telephone chatting with me? Email me. - Scott

PS: Here's more on the same topic posted on the SZ General arranger forum: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/010599.html

#40109 - 04/27/05 06:25 PM Re: Internet Telephone has finally come of Age: Checkout Skype !
Scottyee Offline

"East Meets West" or is it: "West Meets East ?"

Here in the comfort of my home music studio in California (San Francisco Bay Area), I just experienced a tremendous musically rewarding hour (or so) playing keyboards, singing, & jamming together live, with fellow synthzone member-musician Rich Childs (RichUK) performing in his music studio, in Portsmouth, England. It was a terrific first session and I'm anxious to share this experience with my Technics arranger kb friends here.

First of all, prior to our scheduled across the ocean (Atlantic) + across the North American Continent SKYPE internet phone chat session (8 hour time zone difference), we both connected our vocal mics into our respective keyboards: Rich-PSR3000, and myself-Tyros. We then connected the audio outs (L/R) of our keyboards to the 'line in' on our computer's soundcard. After configuring Skpe to receive audio via the 'Line In' of our soundcards, and after donning headphone monitors, we were good to go. We could now speak to each other thru our mics into our keyboards (with talk button on to eliminate reverb), as well as play our keyboard & sing, and simultaneously hear each other play & sing as well. Rich entertained me with his terrific vocal/arranger keyboard rendition of "Blue Moon" as well as a rousing rendition of: El Cumbachero. I in turn played the latin-jazz tune: Route66, and Sway & the "Poor Side Of Town". We were both blown away with how impressive our performances sounded: impressively clear, and possibly equal to the quality of a hi-quality mono MP3. Rich even commented that it was like hearing a LIVE performance of the MP3's we have posted on our websites. We both felt like we were literally in the same room performing together. The only thing missing was it was mono, not stereo. We next decided to try playing & sing a song together. Upon me providing live piano accompaniment for the "Girl From Ipanema" , Rich's vocals appeared to keep coming in a bit (I thought) ahead of the beat. After several unsuccesful attempts at counting in when to come in, it was finally noticed that there indeed is a slight audio signal delay which made it difficult to hit the groove together on that tune. We followed that with "A Nightengale Sang In Berkley (Berkeley) Square" though, and for whatever reason (perhaps the internet tranmission finally improved) everything fell into place on that tune, with Rich singing it first in rubuta tempo with me supplying piano accompaniment (with the arranger off), and then going into tempo at the bridge. I took over the vocals on the second time around, and we then traded off taking nstrumental solos. What a blast, and I must admit, I really wished we had recorded that because we both felt it was a keeper for sure. After trading off on several more tunes from: Poor Side Of Town to Spanish Eyes, we decided it was time for a get down Blues jam session . That was perhaps the most fun , trading off solos and having just a rousing good time jamming (as the Brits might say). I played the B3 hammond sound while Rich deftly handled the piano parts playing terrific manual left hand bass lines with right hand solos. The musical exchanges back and forth we had sounded 'right in' the groove (pocket), if you know what I mean. We had so much fun that we've both promised to meet and play together at least once a week. We plan to record some songs together & I of course will post them on my website . Rich is both an accomplished vocalist & competant keyboard musician who I enjoy making music with. It was truly rewarding and I look forward to our next session. Let's see, is this 'East meets West' or 'West meets East'?

For those interested, here's a link to Rich Child's Website: http://richmusic.co.uk/ as well as my website: http://scottyee.com . I just re-listened to our website MP3 song demos and was amazed how similar the sound quality & performance heard during our LIVE Skype internet telephone connection session today sounded to our MP3s. This technology never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks for listening.

Scott

#40110 - 04/28/05 07:55 AM Re: Internet Telephone has finally come of Age: Checkout Skype !
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Scott/Rich,
This is absolutely awesome and for many of us old timers would be a dream come true. I will briefly remind you why.
In the old days we only had workstations and midi. We accomplished what you did by emailing the song from one performer to another until it would get back to me with all instruments recorded and i would edit it and then share it around the world. There were people that excelled with Drums, Brass, Reeds, etc and they would lay thier midi tracks on top of my piano track.In those days we were using mostly commodore 64 and the Atari computers.
We all dreamed of the day when we could do something like you have just accomplished. Isn't progresss a wonderful thing to witness by us OLD DUDES
I wonder if I can break into my Wife's home office DSL and bring it into the studio? Maybe I could use it when she is at her uptown office Would she ever know?
Thanks for sharing Scott.
Bebop

#40111 - 04/28/05 09:19 AM Re: Internet Telephone has finally come of Age: Checkout Skype !
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
SCOTT....WOW! Both you & Rich are WONDERFUL! Your joint efforts are to be enthusiastically & loudly applauded! What an opportunity you have opened for so much creative work to develop between you! You have opened a huge door that will encourage many to follow your lead!

Can hardly wait to be able to download the duets you & Rich will do! I want to be able to play & sing along with you on my AWESOME Technics KN7000!

Thank you so much! Keep up the great work! Enjoy all you do!

ELIZABETH

#40112 - 04/28/05 11:08 AM Re: Internet Telephone has finally come of Age: Checkout Skype !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by etwo4788:
I want to be able to play & sing along with you on my AWESOME Technics KN7000!ELIZABETH

Hi Elizabeth, Skype supports up to 4 people connected at once, so you're MORE than WELCOME to join us sometime on Skype to listen & JOIN in (on your KN7000). You'll of course need to download & sign onto Skype and add Rich & my Skype names to your Skype contact list. Other interested Technics kb listeners and/or participants here are invited as well.

Scott

#40113 - 04/28/05 11:09 AM Re: Internet Telephone has finally come of Age: Checkout Skype !
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Hi Scott, Bebop and Elizabeth,

I've ventured here after reading the wonderful message Elizabeth left in my guestbook, thank you...

I posted a reply to Scott's second message on this thread over in the General Arranger Forum http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/010624.html but just wanted to say if anyone's interested in becoming a Skype jamming buddy let us know! Up to 4 people can be in 'the room' at once.

Bebop, that's really interesting. The closest I've done along similar lines is jamming with an internet based program called 'Res Rocket' a number of years ago. All good stuff.

Cheerio for now,
Rich

#40114 - 05/03/05 05:55 AM Re: Internet Telephone has finally come of Age: Checkout Skype !
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Hi Scott,

Sounds like the beginning of a Virtual Jam. LOL

Another thing you can do it to each get web cams and using software like Eyeball Chat you can not only talk and hear each other but you can see each other as well.

Each Thurday night I have a video chat with a friend in Cincinnati. It's free an works pretty well.

Bebop,

All you need is a router and a USB wireless network card. Plug the router into the DSL then your wife's computer into the router. Configure them following the directions that come with the router.

Then use the USB network card on your computer and you are connected to the DSL.

It not as difficult as it seems. She would know but it's no big deal.

------------------
Heather- Leesburg, FL PR54

#40115 - 05/03/05 02:16 PM Re: Internet Telephone has finally come of Age: Checkout Skype !
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Scott Yee and I have just tried our first jam session. I downloaded Skype and in a short time was in business.It is very easy and free. We did find some latency due to my 56k dial up when sending full accomp through kn7000.

I need to upgrade to DSL,or broadband of some kind,and I know nothing about what to get. Some help please.

It was like East Coast Jam all over again. We should follow Scott,Rich,Elizabeth,and whomever, and get something going. I know I am.

Bernie

#40116 - 05/03/05 06:02 PM Re: Internet Telephone has finally come of Age: Checkout Skype !
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
After several challenging attempts to converse with Scott today via SKYPE & a couple of email's....it appears my system needs some tweaking before success will occur & we can be up & running smoothly!

I can hardly wait for that success! My thanks to Scott for his great patience in dealing with this computer "newbie"....I am a TECHNIC ky not a Computer Techie... ELIZABETH

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online