SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#401187 - 04/07/15 07:22 AM New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
For all you guys who are going Nano or Bose this new amp is really getting a lot of attention. Cheaper than the Nano or Bose and only 40 lbs. No stand needed as its reccomended to place it on the floor. The CPS Spacestaion V.3. Its an upgraded version of the Groovetubes Spacestation. The only place to order one is Sweetwater so far. They are swamped with backorders. Guys over at the Keyboard Corner forum are raving about it, 70+ pages of the thread so far and the few who have been able to get one love it. Not just for small gigs as there are guys in rock bands doing their Hammond, Piano and Synth keys with it. Throws stereo sound around a room like a Leslie does. Supposedly good for anything you put into it and no, don't use two, the stereo effect is best with just one. The FAQ section states that if you do want to use two use each one for a different feed IE: One for keyboard the other for vocals. It does have a sub out to beef it up if needed.
If nothing else its good reading for a rainy day.

Edited by Bill Lewis (04/07/15 07:26 AM)

#401188 - 04/07/15 07:33 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

#401189 - 04/07/15 08:16 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Sorry, memories the second thing to go.

Since I got my JBL's topics about amps didn't interest me but this one keeps popping up on Keyboard Corner so I gave it a look.

Edited by Bill Lewis (04/07/15 08:19 AM)

#401193 - 04/07/15 10:58 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bachus Offline

Just watch this video, it explains why...

Seems the technollogy indeed is very prommising for small live gigs...

But at home in my studio, i am allways in the sweetspot of my KrK's...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#401200 - 04/07/15 02:00 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Very interesting, and if it wasn't nearly double the weight of my Bose L1 Compact, I might consider this system. I wonder what the coverage area and drop-off characteristics are?

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#401202 - 04/07/15 03:03 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Gary and everyone

Again sorry for the repost of a discussed topic. I do remember this subject on the Forum but just glanced at it. The fact that it keeps coming up on the Keyboard Corner Forum is what got me to read more. No offense to anyone here but the guys over there are doing things that would require more from a system then most here. Cover bands, rock groups, etc. As I said guys are using this amp in bands and being heard clearly and saying it gives a great sound on leslie effects or phased Rhodes .
I'm a skeptic as anything this small can push that much sound but they swear by it. I'm sure you would need a small sub with it for an Arranger. The only thing I'm almost sure it won't do is push out vocals clearly being set on the floor as recommeded by the designer. Love to see/hear one in person. 40 lbs in a very compact box shape isn't too bad to move

#401205 - 04/07/15 05:59 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Bill, one of the guys on the PSR-Tutorial forum recently purchased one and raves about the system. Hope to see one here sometime in the very near future.

Thanks,

Gary cool

#401207 - 04/07/15 07:40 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Bill,

By coincidence, I was reading the review on this amp in Keyboard mag the other day. They gave it a "thumbs-up" also.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/may2015

Conclusion by reviewer as printed from the mag:

There are two distinctively striking things about the SSV3 for me that separate it from the pack. The first is that even though the unit was positioned behind me, the sound came from all around me and enveloped me. I've been trying to achieve something like that for years-setting cabinets in a V-shape behind me, putting one behind me and one in front of me, putting one next to me and one on the other side of the stage-but nothing else has come dose to delivering what I get out of the SSV3. The second, which I really like, is that because of the way that it processes and projects the sound, I can actually play at a stage volume that allows me to be heard in the audience, yet doesn't blow my ears out or make my band members angry at me. While I do not believe there is such a thing as a "Holy Grail" amp, as every one's tastes and situations are different, the SSV3 is as dose as I can recall getting to one, and certainly does stereo better than any single-cabinet solution I've ever used. I have a strong feeling there's a credit card charge I'm going to have to explain to my wife very shortly. -

$899 list
$749 street

centerpointstereo.com

Edited by Mark79100 (04/07/15 08:38 PM)

#401210 - 04/08/15 01:38 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Mark79100]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I've been following reviews on this amp as well and had an email exchange with Aspen Pittman.

The amp has only recently been available due to back orders.

Also, folks I've visited with that use the amp recommend a sub with it and it seems to me that a sub unit is used in the videos as well.

It appears a sub speaker is used with the V.3 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTQA0XE5yuc

smile

Edited by guitpic1 (04/08/15 01:43 AM)

#401213 - 04/08/15 05:05 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Thanks for the link, didn't see that video. still leaves me with the question on vocal projection. I really have no need for anything new now but I'm definitely going to watch for more reviews from working musians.

#401217 - 04/08/15 08:02 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

This amp might work well in your living room but in no way would I use something like this on stage as a Omb or DJ scenario,.. unless possibly a kb player in a band situation with this amp miced.

#401219 - 04/08/15 08:26 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
This amp might work well in your living room but in no way would I use something like this on stage as a Omb or DJ scenario,.. unless possibly a kb player in a band situation with this amp miced.

Donny
I'm skeptical like you. My questions would be vocal projection and also doing a DJ thing with it. Micing it wouldn't work because the whole premise of this amp is that it reflects sound around the room from different speakers in different directions and then the sound magically arrives at the listener in perfect stereo. Thats also the reason it not reccomended to use two. They would cancel each other out. Maybe along with the amp you get a free bag of magic fairy dust because its way beyond me as to how it works. Might be nice for a studio practice setup to fill the room and get even sound wherever you are
I'm really intrigued to see how the hype progresses. My initial reaction is it will do a very good job on par with the Bose systems.

Edited by Bill Lewis (04/08/15 08:31 AM)

#401220 - 04/08/15 08:34 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hello everyone. I was the original poster that brought this special amp to the Synthzone forums attention. I own one now and I can honestly say it does all that the manufacturer says it would and more. There is no question here, this is a great amp and provides 3-D sound throughout any auditorium for up to 300 patrons. I have done this in church every week since I owned the amp and fellow musicians keep asking me where the sound is coming from and I point to this little box that is only about a 1.5 foot tall and they are amazed.

My only criticism is that the 8 inch main front speaker means that you're not going to get heavy bass in the lower register of your keyboard. However I don't play club music and I don't DJ. I play music for people to actually listen to and there is no question this and handles everything I have thrown at it. And it gets very loud without hurting your ears

Edited by spalding1968 (04/08/15 08:35 AM)

#401223 - 04/08/15 08:49 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: spalding1968]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: spalding1968
Hello everyone. I was the original poster that brought this special amp to the Synthzone forums attention. I own one now and I can honestly say it does all that the manufacturer says it would and more. There is no question here, this is a great amp and provides 3-D sound throughout any auditorium for up to 300 patrons. I have done this in church every week since I owned the amp and fellow musicians keep asking me where the sound is coming from and I point to this little box that is only about a 1.5 foot tall and they are amazed.

My only criticism is that the 8 inch main front speaker means that you're not going to get heavy bass in the lower register of your keyboard. However I don't play club music and I don't DJ. I play music for people to actually listen to and there is no question this and handles everything I have thrown at it. And it gets very loud without hurting your ears
thats why they advise a subwoofer..

#401224 - 04/08/15 09:15 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

thats why they advise a subwoofer..

Makes perfectly good sense to me.

Bill, My main concern would be falloff, since it is a conventional sound system. For that reason, I don't believe it will project the same as the Bose line array systems, but I could be wrong.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (04/08/15 09:17 AM)

#401230 - 04/08/15 11:58 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
spalding1968 Offline

It projects pretty well . My church seats 500 to 550 when full . The church building is about 70ft wide by 80ft long in a sort of elongated hexagonal shape . With the volume dial at 2 o'clock in the amp and the keyboard volume slider at 1/3rd of the way up and no other amplification ,you can hear my keyboard more clearly than the fully mic'd steinway grand piano going through the very expensive front of house system we have .

You just can't compare this amp to a conventional amp because the sound blooms as you get further away from the amp . And because it's sounds full everywhere in the room you simply don't need the volume that you would ordinarily push through conventional speakers

#401231 - 04/08/15 12:19 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Neat! Thanks for the info.

I would like to hear one of these in person somewhere in my part of the world.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (04/08/15 12:21 PM)

#401232 - 04/08/15 01:55 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Any difference in playing mono or stereo samples ? I am wondering if there would be any cancellation or aliasing in feeding a stereo sample to the amp which separates it again.

Edited by Bernie9 (04/08/15 01:56 PM)

#401233 - 04/08/15 02:07 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Bernie

I know somewhere in all I read its suggested that its designed to work best with a stereo signal feed into it. Then the amp does its magic with that.
I also read the sub output is not a true crossed over sub output but a full bandwidth line out. A few guys are using the GK12 bass amp with it and rolling off the mids/highs with the amp's tone controls. I believe thats what the inventor has the amp sitting on in the YouTube demos.

#401239 - 04/09/15 02:22 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bernie9]
spalding1968 Offline

Hi Bernie.

The amp is designed specifically to deal with stereo sound . This app can handle any stereo sound whether that is vocals guitars you name it. I have a couple of mono piano samples on my korg and have played these through the amp . In my experiments only the front facing speaker is activated. In other words it becomes a conventional single keyboard speaker. But by adding a smidgen of reverb the amp is somehow able to detect left and right signals and converts the mono sample into a stereo sounding sample. In other words both the front facing and side facing speakers are activated.also just as a general tip the amp is sensitive to reverb and therefore you need less reverb generally in all your mixes then you would do if you were using a conventional keyboard amp.

#401240 - 04/09/15 04:01 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Offline

Thanks guys

It is getting more interesting all the time. I sometimes use one of my keyboards on top and a Nord Electro 2 on the bottom with a Neo Ventilator for my band work.

I could readily see the Hammond organ sounds being greatly enhanced over my monaural Bose Compact, but was doubtful of piano type sounds. I was thinking you might have to turn the width off for piano, but now see it automatically adjusts,

Edited by Bernie9 (04/09/15 04:02 AM)

#401258 - 04/09/15 08:32 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Beakybird Offline

If one were to add a subwoofer to this machine, is there anything that's not super heavy? Stage subwoofers typically weigh 75lbs and more.

For many years, I've been using 2 FBT Maxx 2A's. When they came out, they were the best 10" live speaker around. I very rarely get volume complaints, and I never get complaints about sound quality or clarity. But this Spacestation looks neat.

Edited by Beakybird (04/09/15 08:34 PM)

#401260 - 04/09/15 10:00 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I wish Bose would offer a new, light-weight compact, or something similar, in true stereo. Maybe other manufacturers will emulate the Spacestation v. 3 and start a trend.

#401261 - 04/09/15 10:47 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
spalding1968 Offline

The space station technology is patented so it's unlikely that there will be anything similar to this coming out anytime soon .

And a sub is not absolutely necessary. It's really only needed if you want to play in a balls out full rock band at ear bleed levels . 99 percent of the work I do will never need that kind of muscle (thank God ). And if you ever need that any basic sub will do .

#401264 - 04/10/15 06:13 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Beakybird]
Bill Lewis Offline

Originally Posted By: Beakybird
If one were to add a subwoofer to this machine, is there anything that's not super heavy? Stage subwoofers typically weigh 75lbs and more.

For many years, I've been using 2 FBT Maxx 2A's. When they came out, they were the best 10" live speaker around. I very rarely get volume complaints, and I never get complaints about sound quality or clarity. But this Spacestation looks neat.

Look up the EV ZX Sub or the Gallen Kruger 12" bass amp. cardinal so has a line of Micro Bass amps that are very good.

Edited by Bill Lewis (04/10/15 06:13 AM)

#401266 - 04/10/15 07:28 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: spalding1968]
Bachus Offline

The space station technology is patented so it's unlikely that there will be anything similar to this coming out anytime soon .

And a sub is not absolutely necessary. It's really only needed if you want to play in a balls out full rock band at ear bleed levels . 99 percent of the work I do will never need that kind of muscle (thank God ). And if you ever need that any basic sub will do .

a) the space station technollogy is very similar to what bose does, very similar, and the idea behind it is exactly the same..

b) I think a subwoofer is more about getting those very very low bass sounds then it is about the volume of the bass notes..

#401271 - 04/10/15 08:02 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Adding a sub would add lots of unwanted things to my setup, more gear and more wires, neither of which is currently needed with the Bose L1 Compact. While the concept behind the Spacestation really sounds interesting to me, the added weight, especially in my current physical situation, would put it out of the realm of possibility. The heaviest item in my entire setup is the keyboard, which with the added weight of the case, puts it at 33 pounds. Yesterday, that keyboard felt like it weighed 133 pounds because of my bad back. A very attractive, well-endowed young lady offered to help me load my gear, but being a macho kinda guy I turned her down. Now I wish I would have accepted her offer. (sitting in my office with a heating pad on my lower back.) Oh well, maybe next time.

For the naysayers, when Bose came out with the line array of tiny speakers with it's L1 PAS system, you were the folks that claimed you couldn't project sound across a large venue without moving lots of air, and that could only be done with big speakers. WRONG! Then there those who said their big, conventional speakers were the only things that REAL bands would ever use. WRONG! Then there were those that said the linear array was just a fad and would soon go away. WRONG! Now everyone is trying to emulate Bose with their line arrays.

Just want to hear one live and in person,

Gary cool

#401272 - 04/10/15 08:14 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Beakybird]
Bill Lewis Offline

Sorry about the messed up reply before. I'm never going to try to do a post from my IPAD again.
Anyway there are some moderatly light solutions out there. My choice would be the EV ZX sub or the Carvin MB15 bass amp.

#401273 - 04/10/15 08:39 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Offline

I wonder if my L1 sub would work ?mmmmmmm-

#401274 - 04/10/15 08:50 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

No, it's not a powered sub, Bernie.

Gary cool

#401275 - 04/10/15 10:15 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bachus]
spalding1968 Offline

I don't think you have understood the space station technology Bacchus . It's not like the Bose line array system . The Bose can only produce mono sound even if you bought two of them !

Line array technology has been around since the 1930,s . Aspen has literally written books in sound amplification technology. That's why he owns the patent on the space station technology and has been able to successfully produce a stereo speaker of this size and effectiveness . Aspen says it best :

• CPS special electronics inhales stereo Left and Right signals and exhales Front and Side signals for reproduction by the special (spacial?) CPS speaker configuration of a Front facing and Side facing speaker.

• The Front speaker contains and reproduces ONLY those signals that are the "same" in the L&R signals (or mono).

• The Side speaker contains and reproduces ONLY those signals that are unique in the L&R...or the Left and Right "stereo" parts of the two signals.

• Because the special (spatial?) Front and Side speakers are positioned at a right angle to each other - or technically "out of phase" - they do not combine as do conventional stereo signals; instead, they repel each other and do not mix, enhancing their dispersion (CPS dispersion is 300 degrees - nearly a full circle - unlike most stereo speakers, which have a 30x90 degree dispersion pattern.

• Furthermore, because they emanate from a "center" point, they travel and arrive at the exact same time at your ear, your band mates ears, or your audience's ears where they are reassembled to provide a unique, realistic and almost 3D stereo image, unlike a conventional stereo image

Edited by spalding1968 (04/10/15 10:24 AM)

#401276 - 04/10/15 10:23 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: travlin'easy]
Bernie9 Offline

Oh, that's right.

#401277 - 04/10/15 10:30 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: travlin'easy]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Adding a sub would add lots of unwanted Yesterday, that keyboard felt like it weighed 133 pounds because of my bad back. A very attractive, well-endowed young lady offered to help me load my gear, but being a macho kinda guy I turned her down.
Gary cool

Well-endowed..... You mean she had a large endowment, or plenty of money???

Jerry

#401278 - 04/10/15 10:42 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

smile You shoulda been there, Jerry - made me wish I were young and single again. wink

Gary cool

#401285 - 04/10/15 01:54 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
smile You shoulda been there, Jerry - made me wish I were young and single again. wink
Gary cool

OH, CAROL ...!!!

#401288 - 04/10/15 06:24 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Shhhhhhhhh, Tony, she might hear you. wink

Gary cool

#401315 - 04/13/15 03:46 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: travlin'easy]
Bernie9 Offline

[quote=travlin'easy]No, it's not a powered sub, Bernie.

Gary cool [/qu

How about my sub from my old Logitech Z2100 ? if I could interface it.

#401329 - 04/13/15 10:17 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Yes, that would work - it's a powered sub.

Gary

#401333 - 04/13/15 11:26 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Gary I spoke to the guy who invented the unit i am prob going tp go and see him to try it out i will keep you guys posted

200 wt not going to cut it for the places I play but it worth a try .

Ron

#401334 - 04/13/15 03:52 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Ron, I appreciate that.

Gary cool

#401340 - 04/14/15 05:39 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: musicforyourday]
Bill Lewis Offline

Looking forward to your review, especially how it handles vocals. Please ask what sub he re commends.

Thanks

#401343 - 04/14/15 09:08 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: spalding1968]
Dnj Offline

oh boy these magic stereo amps again confused1

how soon we forget...?

http://www.motionsoundamps.com/product.php?name=kp-200s

Edited by Dnj (04/14/15 09:21 AM)

#401349 - 04/14/15 12:44 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Offline

I ordered one today. I imagine it will be several weeks, as my Sweetwater guy spoke to them today and they expect a large shipment within two weeks. I am in no hurry anyway as long as I have my Bose Compact.

#401351 - 04/14/15 01:20 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bernie9]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Bernie9
I ordered one today. I imagine it will be several weeks, as my Sweetwater guy spoke to them today and they expect a large shipment within two weeks. I am in no hurry anyway as long as I have my Bose Compact.

Like cocaine, it's God's way of telling you that you've got too much money smile smile smile.

Just kidding, Bernie, enjoy.

chas

#401352 - 04/14/15 01:25 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Donny
I said I was skeptical but with the great reviews from those that have one I'm curious. We now have two SZ members who can give us some real world info . I really believe without ever hearing it you will need a decent sub but if this thing can throw the mids and highs around and you get good punch from the sub who knows.
Looking forward to the reviews

Edited by Bill Lewis (04/14/15 01:26 PM)

#401353 - 04/14/15 01:37 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles

Like cocaine, it's God's way of telling you that you've got too much money smile smile smile.

Just kidding, Bernie, enjoy.

chas

Hi Chas

Too much money; too many toys; NO WAY LOL

#401362 - 04/14/15 05:54 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Ah yes, the Motion Sound KP-100 - What a piece of $hit!

Gary cool

#401366 - 04/14/15 07:49 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
This amp appears like it would work real nice with a clonewheel. Most mono amps don't do Leslie sims any justice.

Ian

#401368 - 04/14/15 08:06 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

I have a MotionSound Pro 145 - also a POS.

chas

#401389 - 04/15/15 06:02 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: cgiles]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: cgiles
I have a MotionSound Pro 145 - also a POS.

chas

I used a Fender Vibratone, back in the 70's. I used it in combination with my Cordovox. People couldn't believe the full sound I was able to produce with that setup.

It's still have it. (gathering dust in my basement.)

Regards,

Jerryghr

Attachments
images[4].jpg

#401517 - 04/18/15 06:49 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Uh- oh first chink in the SS armor. Guy on the Keyboard Corner sales Forum is selling his. $700 and near me in NJ too but I'm not interested in anything right now. Big move in the works for us.
He said he prefers his K10. Interesting.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads...est#Post2680889

Edited by Bill Lewis (04/18/15 06:51 AM)

#401527 - 04/18/15 12:10 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
spalding1968 Offline

He said that he wanted more volume . That's why he is selling the amp . God knows what kind of volume he is after . The amp is loud !!!!

#401529 - 04/18/15 01:29 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Offline

That is what I was thinking. Volume is such a subjective and relative term. If he is into ear splitting metal or the like, no wonder.

Since I am in the Bose Compact set, it should be fine for me with perhaps a small sub, but I doubt it.

Edited by Bernie9 (04/18/15 01:30 PM)

#401531 - 04/18/15 01:56 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
spalding1968 Offline

This is just one of the very many testimonials raving about this new amp. This testimony was posted on the musicians forum today and it was by one of the newest converts to the SSV3. It encompasses everything that I love about this instrument amplification system and experience I myself have had ,when playing my keyboard through this amp.

"I wrote a post on the other stereo amp thread, and I think it's the best articulation I've written about my experience with the SS3. Forgive the duplication if you're reading both threads:

At the outdoor gig I mentioned, I went back and forth between playing my SK1 and SS3 combo; and a recent-Roland weighted keyboard through a KB500 which then ran the FOH (all the other keyboardists were curious about my setup, so when they were sitting in I always offered to play the Roland).

We can discuss these things academically of course, but on an emotional level it felt like someone had thrown a wet blanket over my soul when I tried to dig into the Roland/KB500 setup. A month earlier and I would have been mildly grateful that it was loud and barky enough to cut through the rest of the players. I would have registered that the sound wasn't exactly pleasing to the others or myself but I wouldn't have cared because what were my alternatives?

But going back to my setup, I felt like I was providing a naturally atmospheric-- as opposed to directional--sound that wrapped itself around the band AND the audience. It is VERY different in that way, and it takes a little getting used to--I used to think of 'being loud enough' as simply being heard "well enough" as opposed to being enjoyable to hear.

I used to use a personal stereo P.A. which was better-sounding than the Roland, Yamaha and motion Sound (2 models) I tested in my home. This got me through 10 years of gigs. Next up was to order a pair of powered monitors even though positioning was going to be a problem--who was going to hear the coolest sounds possible from my rig? Me? The band? Or the audience? In some settings, I would have had to choose. Having done that a little, I usually chose best for me, so I would play better and inspire the band, which hopefully inspired the audience.

But since I've been playing with the SS3, I barely think about stuff like that. I know the other band members are stunned by how well they can hear the keys, even when I'm not playing loudly. I know from walking around the dance floor or the audience that the further away you are, the more impressive the clear and present sound is, so far true up to about 200 feet in fact.

I've simply stopped looking (brooding) about keyboard amplification systems. Now I feel like I'm making music.

The day may come when I feel the need to add a sub, but it's hard to imagine--I don't really enjoy playing so loud onstage that it hurts. It seems to me that the volume of even the r and b/blues projects I'm involved with right now is plenty loud. I don't play left hand bass, but when I play New Orleans-flavored funky piano, I of course have an active left hand at times (other times, I look like I've only got a right hand in videos!). Regardless, so far I've never felt there was anything lacking but a little more talent."

#401533 - 04/18/15 02:49 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Nice review. My question is for us OMB Arranger Players how would it be with the drums and bass thrown in and especially the vocals. I'm sure a sub wold be needed in that situation. I'm really tempted to throw the guy near me in NJ an offer but everything is on hold for awhile. BTW I looked it up on Sweetwaters site and this guys asking price of $700 is way out of line, even if he did only use it for 3 gigs . Wink Wink

Can't wait for our friends here to fire one up.

#401838 - 04/27/15 07:43 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Offline

I just got mine Saturday and it is everything Spalding reported and more.

Bear in mind that I haven't rigged up for stereo in over forty years, and the Bose Compact and L1 have been my speakers. I too have done due diligence on this puppy.

The first thing I tried was my BK-9 direct into the amp in stereo. the sound was absolutely stunning with the Leslie sim edging out my vent. The same with a whole bunch of styles. The next thing was vocals and piano-great. I also ran my ipad with MP3 with fine results.

I read about the possible need for a sub and connected the sub from my old Logitech Z33. It works with out a problem, but I don't see myself needing it. When you plug in the sub the CSS passes off the lows to the sub. That might be a good thing, but I don't need anything below 100hz, but it's there if you need it.

I am out the door to my band and will tell you how she does under fire.

Edited by Bernie9 (04/27/15 07:45 AM)

#401847 - 04/27/15 12:34 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
spalding1968 Offline

I did tell you !!!

Aspen is going to have to increase production on this amp many times over and he absolutely owns the patent and so there is zero competition . Even if you carried the best conventional stereo amps in the business and positioned them in the optimum position possible , it could not cover the room in 3D stereo like this amp .

Genuinely I have not come across a single keyboard amp that produced even clean 3D sound like this .

#402393 - 05/13/15 01:34 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: spalding1968]
guitpic1 Offline

These are in stock again. Anybody going to jump?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Spacestation3

#402406 - 05/13/15 11:17 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: guitpic1]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
I reviewed the reviews and the designer's explanation. Can't resist the temptation, I ordered one this morning. My 2 L1 Compacts might be on sale soon.

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#402409 - 05/14/15 12:46 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: synerjim]
guitpic1 Offline

Originally Posted By: synerjim
I reviewed the reviews and the designer's explanation. Can't resist the temptation, I ordered one this morning. My 2 L1 Compacts might be on sale soon.

Hope to hear your review.

#402410 - 05/14/15 04:08 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Offline

I have now taken my CSS to all of my regular gigs. They include:

20 pc band with about 75 people in 40x80 room
OMB set up for 150 people, 50x100 room
Karaoke and keyboard with vocals, 50 people,30x30 room
200 person dinner, 100x100-keyboard and vocals

All venues have given rave revues on the sound(compared to Bose Contact) and vocal clarity using a Behringer B1200D sub.

The sub is not always needed, but especially with Karaoke disks, I like added bass for the people.

This thing is amazing, having stereo with one cab and no sweet spot.

#402411 - 05/14/15 05:02 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Lewis Offline

This is getting very interesting. Planning a big move soon so I'm not buying anything for awhile but the SS3 really intrigues me. small gigs bring one box in and lean it against a wall, bigger gig set it on a small sub Simple , just the way I like it.
Reading the last posts on KC the discussion is about using two. aspen recommend not splitting them but stacking them with the top one upside down.
Hope I can hear one soon.

#402413 - 05/14/15 05:57 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Offline

Two is an overkill IMO for all but the loudest bands, especially since the sub takes the load off the CSS below 100hz, or higher if you desire. I never have the volume past 12:00, but advance the keyboard and mixer to 1:00. I have plenty of headroom, and it is loud with my pedal at 2/3.

#402414 - 05/14/15 06:05 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Through the KC endless thread the discussion of using two came up from those still thinking in the older "two speakers = stereo mindset" and then came the
'louder" thinking. Since Aspen has said he has no immediate plans to build a smaller or bigger version in the near future it seems two stacked on a sub is the optimal setup for super loud rigs. Aspen also said "save your money" and use just one. If on a big gig with a band run a line out to the FOH system and use your SSE for an onstage monitor that the whole band can hear clearly.
It seems from the reviews that one is sufficent, especially with a sub.

#402427 - 05/14/15 10:45 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: guitpic1]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
will do folks

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#402428 - 05/14/15 12:56 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: synerjim]
guitpic1 Offline

Timing to buy isn't the best for me right now.

Here's a thread from the PSR forum. Don't know if anyone has seen it but the V.3 is discussed in detail from the point of an owner.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,28532.0.html

#402430 - 05/14/15 02:16 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Am I the only one that noticed in the demo videos there's never a drummer?
drums

#402431 - 05/14/15 03:15 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Not even a drum machine! wink

Gary cool

#402433 - 05/14/15 03:59 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
spalding1968 Offline

What's the point you are making ?

When was the last time you saw a keyboard amp demoed with a drummer ....

Go on the musicians forum and you will read very many testimonies of musicians who have used the amp with live drummers guitarists and vocalist and they are more than happy with the sound .

#402436 - 05/14/15 05:11 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

I think they're referring to the fact that no digital drums are going thru the amp. But according to Bernie it does a fine job with his BK9. I'm skeptical too, Even with a sub its seems too small but the idea is with the full surround sound it supposedly provides you don't need the killer volume. Much better for all involved to hear clearly without sonic bombardment. Heard a duo the other night and actually had to leave our seats at the bar and go to a far table. I'm getting older but these guys were out of control. And no one was dancing so you couldn't blame it on the heat of the moment. Couldn't talk to my wife next to me without yelling. Amazed no one complained.
I've never heard a Bose Compact either but some here say they can do dance music for young crowds and cover the gig. I just can't imagine doing Fireball or BLurred lines with an 8" woofer. Who knows, gotta hear it for myself.

#402437 - 05/14/15 05:40 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Bill, a pair of compact will really do a great job for the younger, larger crowds. A single Compact worked quite well for me in the Florida Keys, even for the spring breakers. As many are aware, Bose does some incredible things with smaller speakers. smile

Gary cool

#402449 - 05/15/15 04:46 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Gary
I respect opinions from guys who are out there preforming on a regular basis. Guys on this forum and over at KC provide a lot of real world insight and some interesting reading. Like I've said I'm just skeptical . Bose created a whole new technology for live sound and now I think Aspen has done the same.
I've heard Bose Systems but never in a situation where they were really pushed and they did do a fine job at clarity and coverage.
With all the "noise" ( bad pun. ) about the SS3 I've got to hear it
BTW Loved your pictures of your last outing on your boat. maybe in my new place I'll make the mistake of getting into boating. I already did the motorcycle thing and still struggle with golf so why not.

#402462 - 05/15/15 09:59 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
BOAT - Break Out Another Thousand! smile

#402480 - 05/16/15 04:55 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Good one Don.
I know all boaters have heard this one. BOAT = a big hole in the water you keep trying to fill up with money.
Or the two best days of a boaters life. The day he bought it and the day he sold it.

Same as a motorcycle. Bolt for home project $!.49 same bolt for a bike $9.99
of course it may be chromed !

#402484 - 05/16/15 09:42 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Don, that's why $1,000 is referred to as a Boat Buck.

Gary cool

#402485 - 05/16/15 09:44 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

if it makes you happy go for it...Life is to F##@#g Short! party

#402486 - 05/16/15 10:30 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
if it makes you happy go for it...Life is to F##@#g Short! party

If life is short, why do the payments for my toys go on forever?

grin

#402488 - 05/16/15 10:46 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The more you owe when you die, the farther ahead you are!

#402491 - 05/16/15 12:01 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
ianmcnll Offline

Over the past few years, and since retiring, I'm actually getting rid of excess stuff...keeping things simple.

Just the Tyros4, a pair of 25 year old powered monitors and a 33 year old analog mono synth (Yamaha CS-01) that I run through the T4's microphone input.

I could easily buy more gear, but I like the challenge of making the most of what I have.

Sold my big old house, got a beautiful maintenance free apartment, and I'm free to travel at a moments notice if I so wish....ahhh...freedom!

The most important thing to me is keeping good health...all the money and toys in the world aren't worth a vole's colon if you aren't well enough to enjoy them.

Ian

#402492 - 05/16/15 12:45 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Offline

I couldn't agree with you more Ian. That is why the wife and I go to the "Y" before I load my CP Spacestation and head for a gig.

I am really afraid you can't compare this with Bose of anything else.

#402495 - 05/16/15 01:14 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: ianmcnll]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
The most important thing to me is keeping good health...all the money and toys in the world aren't worth a vole's colon if you aren't well enough to enjoy them.

I'm on the fence....I think I'd rather be a tiny bit sick but really rich. Why not? Chances are if you live long enough, you're going to be a tiny bit sick anyway.

smile

chas

#402496 - 05/16/15 01:21 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Damned Chas, we do thing a lot a like. As my dear, departed daddy always said, "there's only one thing that money can't buy - POVERTY!" Dad was pretty damned smart. wink

Gary cool

#402497 - 05/16/15 01:25 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

so lets get back to the original topic...Is this CPS Spacestaion V.3 better then using two Bose Compacts live on stage?

#402498 - 05/16/15 01:34 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bernie9]
ianmcnll Offline

I couldn't agree with you more Ian. That is why the wife and I go to the "Y" before I load my CP Spacestation and head for a gig.

I am really afraid you can't compare this with Bose of anything else.

If I was to go back gigging regularly, I'd seriously consider the SpaceStation...much more simple than having to set up two powered speakers in stereo.

I played through a single Bose L1 and the experience was less than satisfying, especially due to the fact the Tyros4 doesn't collapse well into mono, and having two Bose to set up wasn't what I'd call ideal, although, I must admit, the sound of them was pretty awesome...then again, so was the price! frown

And you are right...you just can't compare the SpaceStation with Bose.

I trust your reviews Bernie, and, I've seen a lot of other positive comments on this great new system, so I suspect I'd have to have one if the conditions were there.

Ian

#402500 - 05/16/15 01:53 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Offline

Donny,

Not necessarily better in all venues. Though the CPSS is loud and can be coupled with a sub like I do, it might not reach as far as the two Bose.

The fact remains that you have great stereo anywhere in the sound field with one unit.

#402505 - 05/16/15 03:50 PM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Bernie, have you had the opportunity to try the rig with a large outdoors job? If so, I would really be interested in hearing the results, though I think my buying days may be over.

Gary cool

#402510 - 05/17/15 02:18 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: travlin'easy]
Bernie9 Offline

Gary,
No I haven't.

I have merely read reports of it doing fine, but no specifics.

#402512 - 05/17/15 03:22 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

When posting, I always try and remain objective in my subjectivity. It is quite obvious that I am thrilled by SS. The question I had to ask myself was why.

First of all, I am hearing stereo for the first time in many years of playing. Many of you have always used a stereo rig, even if those outside the "Sweet Spot" can't hear it as such.

Secondly, I am hearing nuances and downright more sounds with all of my keyboards. This was partially explained by Ian, in Yamaha's case, as Yamaha doing much better in stereo; true. However, in addition, I am hearing spacious dynamic mids.

My opinion of Bose L1.L2, and Compact always has been very positive, and still is for several reasons, however, I wonder if the oft purported weakness in mid range is partly responsible in any underachievement compared to the Spacestation.

I don't think it necessarily would be the answer to everyone's needs, but it sure is for me.

Bernie

#402517 - 05/17/15 06:51 AM Re: New Amp with rave reviews. CPS Spacestaion V.3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Well the thread on KC for the SS3 has hit 100 pages. Most of what I've read is on topic and informative and not derailed to other subjects like boats ( sorry about that ) . I haven't read the bulk of it but the latest is a pretty good review by a guy who seems to have the $$$ to try everything in amps and keyboards and from the review it looks like he has. He's another SS3 convert. Enjoy

http://chucksblog.typepad.com/late_bloomer/2015/05/revisiting-my-thoughts-on-amplification.html

Edited by Bill Lewis (05/17/15 06:53 AM)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online