SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#40192 - 09/16/04 03:18 AM Samum
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi all
Does anyone have the sheet music for Samum by C. Robrecht? It was a request at a recent gig and for once I had to confess to not knowing it. I'd like to rectify that before I play at the same gig next time.
John

#40193 - 09/16/04 07:23 AM Re: Samum
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi John, I've had a good look around the internet - several mentions of Samum but no sheet music It's apparently a Brass Band piece since there were several references to Brighouse & Rastrick and Grimethorpe Colliery bands - CD recordings.
I've checked all the Sheet music sites in my 'Favourites' folder but ....Maybe if you can get hold of a CD, you could 'Lug It'
Hope you are keeping well and busy..

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#40194 - 09/16/04 10:35 AM Re: Samum
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Bill
I know it was played by several Brass Bands, but it was also played on the Wurlitzer by Reginald Dixon and Arnold Loxam. It could be one of those pieces that I'll know as soon as I hear it.
I'm still gigging 3-4 nights a week and I've now acquired a KN2600 (off ebay) which I take with a small amplifier to some of my afternoon spots. At least now with the demise of Technics, I've got a backup if anything goes wrong
John

#40195 - 09/16/04 11:33 AM Re: Samum
Anonymous
Unregistered

John.I played this in brass bands when younger.Try, www.grimethorpecolliery.com.Or any other Brass Band of note.
Ask if they have a spare conductors copy.
Yhe conductors copy gives the full score of all the instruments in the band plus a complete melody line.the peice is easy to play, but on reaching the middle eight, it is a very testing challenge to play.
I have seem the copy and played it in dance bands.But again it is part of an orc.I will ask around. Sincerely.Joe Baron

#40196 - 09/16/04 11:42 AM Re: Samum
Anonymous
Unregistered

John.this may be of use to you, Joe
Floral Dance - Brighouse and Rastrick Band
(Reference #21145)

76 Trombones, Beautiful Dreamer, Conquest of Paradise, Cornet Carillon, Coronation Street, Entry of the Gladiators, Erin Shore, The Floral Dance, Gaelforce, Hoedown, Magnificent Seven, Pomp and Circumstance No. 1, Rusalka's Song To The Moon, Samum, Shepherd's Song, Silver Threads Among the Gold.

Price: £11.95

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online