SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#408720 - 09/22/15 02:57 PM A small but meaningful gesture....
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
There's a college restaurant near the University of Kentucky that's open 24 hours called the Tolly Ho. It's been there since the 70's. Nothing fancy. Breakfast, which includes 2 eggs, 4 strips of good bacon, toast and coffee is about $5.00.00. Burger's are called Ho burger's and have generous portions of fries, etc. I go there often, when I got to UK.

There's a homeless man who lives across the street, under some trees, in a vacant lot. His possessions seem to be a rusty bike with a gas engine....don't know if it runs, and a guitar in a bag, plus a shopping basket of clothes and miscellaneous stuff.

The Tolly Ho let's him use the facilities to clean up. Several years ago, anonymously, I started giving the cashier, whom I think is related to the owner, a $20.00 bill on Mondays to dole out when needed. He is just told that a friend is buying him his meal. He orders either a biscuit and gravy and coffee or a small burger and coke. If he's told that someone is buying, he adds to or changes his order. I don't want to embarrass him, so we've never talked.

One day, I noticed a middle aged lady, who went to the cashier, made a transaction and left without ordering. The order taker ( you place your order and wait for your name to be called to pick-up and pay) said that she started coming in once a week after she saw what I was doing. Several other people also make anonymous contributions on a regular basis.

And, since breakfast for two is about $10,00, instead of a place down the street that charges $20.00 plus, the trip to my old college hang out is relaxing, fun (probably not that good for you), and probably tastes better!

I strongly suspect that, given the kind hearts of the staff (several people with handicaps work there), if the money gets "light?" the food will always be there.

We see the guy all the time, and just smile at each other. For some reason, we never talk about him or the effort to help out a little.

Several miles down the road is a strip mall with a BW-3, the upscale breakfast and lunch place, a Gumbo place and a Penn Station. An older African American fellow has been living nearby for 4 years and has access to the bathrooms...probably gets a little help in the food department too.

It doesn't take much in terms of assets to do something helpful. Last year, during a really cold cold time, three of us moved our guy into a motel for a week...took my truck and moved his (UGH) belongings into a storage building of mine.

A little gesture daily makes the world a better place.

Sadly, a young girl who works for the Tolly Ho and her fiancee and his two kids were broadsided recently. I immediately went to take a $100.00 donation to the place, terrified that it was one of my "girls". It wasn't, but she is still in ICU, and her fiancee and two kids were killed. When I gave the check to the cashier, she cried and would not take payment for our breakfast (that money went into the collection jar when she wasn't looking). She took out her phone and, tears streaming down, showed me photos of the injured friend.

The help and customers are planning fundraisers...one is a car show (I'm entering my recently restored 85 Riviera).

We're not making a video, but it's pretty neat to have 5 people who don't really know each other share a common goal to do something helpful for one in need.

Sorry for the rant...

Russ

#408727 - 09/22/15 05:01 PM Re: A small but meaningful gesture.... [Re: captain Russ]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Russ, I wouldn't expect any less from you.

Still, I do not understand this world; I feel like an alien. All these religions, all that talk about loving and caring for each other, and then who passes the homeless looking the other way?

This is the 21st century and we're still living in the Dark Ages. Nothing has changed...

Taike

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online