SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#41909 - 08/05/02 01:39 PM Re: ABOUT DELETING POSTS etc.
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
........ Whilst this may sound like censorship, I don't believe it will be seen as such. It is just a suggestion - for what it is worth.

Exactly my point Bill and Fran, because then
everybody will be treated in the same way as
the rest of the SZ Forums members, "The Nigel
Way"
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#41910 - 08/05/02 05:52 PM Re: ABOUT DELETING POSTS etc.
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
I also agree. It's Nigel's board and it should be his decision. If someone wants to delete his or her post or thread, they can ask Nigel for permission and let him decide which course of action to carry out. And, to Chuck Piper, I hope this site can continue to be a learning place, but with banter and asides, we learn a little more about each other and sometimes actually make friends that way. All work and no play.....

#41911 - 08/05/02 06:06 PM Re: ABOUT DELETING POSTS etc.
Derek Ladkin Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
My thoughts too Bud.

If Music be the.............Let's Play on.
Derek

#41912 - 08/05/02 06:40 PM Re: ABOUT DELETING POSTS etc.
peter castanos Offline

Loc: sydney australia
I don't know if this has been mentioned previously but I know of some other forums where apart from the moderator who can delete any post or thread at any time, an individual member can delete or amend his or her own post but must do so within a certain time limit, say 2 hours. So that gives the poster time to reconsider his/her post and change or delete something that perhaps shouldn't have been said.

That system seems to work very well where I've seen it used.

#41913 - 08/05/02 11:21 PM Re: ABOUT DELETING POSTS etc.
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Peter, while changing to different software may allow this it would certainly mean losing the past 4 years of messages under the current software. There is no BBS standard that allows updating UBBS forums to completely different software. The main reason I haven't even updated this software 5.4 to the latest 6.1 version is that the current version doesn't support importing V5.xx forums. In my opinion the postings are more valuable than new software features. I will always look at alternative options but it would take this current system breaking down before I would consider changing systems.

But if you know what software the BBS systems you mention are running I will certainly investigate them as possible future options.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-06-2002).]

#41914 - 08/06/02 08:41 AM Re: ABOUT DELETING POSTS etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
..... In my opinion the postings are more valuable than new software features. I will always look at alternative options....

Again, I agree fully in your reply here Nigel, and that is also
a very good reason to prevent such as the frequently deleting that
we've seen here at this part of the SZ board.
What we've seen is not software-related at all as far as I can see
it, but more a question about how many there is to have the power to
do this sort of actions.
I'm wondering a bit about if we still are going to see the kind of
"partisan censorship" on this forum as we have seen it been done up
to now?
next time it happens, would it then be worth a try to run this forum
with one "Chief in charge" instead of two as it is now?
Hopeful regards,
GJ

#41915 - 08/06/02 12:12 PM Re: ABOUT DELETING POSTS etc.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If you have something really important to say - start a new post, and then YOU will be in control of the direction it takes. Like it or not - some quidelines of censorship are needed and very present in everyday life, as well as here on the BBS.
Mark me down for one vote to "leave it alone"

#41916 - 08/06/02 09:29 PM Re: ABOUT DELETING POSTS etc.
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Ithink Uncle Dave has hit the nail on the head! It seems to me (since I seem to be the one who initiated this discussion in the first place, I think), if there is a specific NEW point being made, a NEW post would be in order. In that way, only the person who initiates the thread can delete it and comments cannot be lost within the context of another post and its subsequent threads. If one has a complaint about an individual or his/her message(s), why not contact that person via e-mail and not make a public vendetta here on the Forum?! To some degree, I do concur with Bill Norrie that perhaps Nigel should be the only one to delete offensive or unsavory messages. And it would be great if we who write the posts could edit and perhaps delete the part(s) of the thread that we disagree with, but I suppose that would also be considered censorship. So, as I see it, the whole disussion is a moot one! I echo my original sentiments again: let's get back to the real business of the Forum, namely exchange of Technics keyboard fun and information sharing! Wouldn't that be grand!

Ted Rose

#41917 - 08/07/02 08:32 AM Re: ABOUT DELETING POSTS etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
If you have something really important to say - start a new post, and then YOU will be in control of the direction it takes....

Sorry UD, that is simply not true here at the Technics part of SZ.
If you've been watching the things going on here, you would have
seen that it is not only Nigel who is in control.
Here have been started new posts/threads when it is other than the
author or Administarator who delete the posts, and that is the real
point of this discussion.

No argue about that there have to be some sort of sencorship, but
as said before, it would be nice if that could be left for Nigel
to do, in that case we would all be treated equal, not depending
of who, why or what..
Remeber, this is the only forum of the SZ BBS who have a additional
Moderator who also have the power to delete whatever tread or post
there is.
GJ

#41918 - 08/07/02 10:56 AM Re: ABOUT DELETING POSTS etc.
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ted Rose:
If one has a complaint about an individual or his/her message(s), why not contact that person via e-mail and not make a public vendetta here on the Forum?!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ted
I have to disagree with you totally on your point of sending a private e-mail to a thread subscriber when you either disagree with their point of view or maybe just don't like what they are saying.Lets be honest about this that's just like spying on your neighbour from behind closed curtains I.E certain members sit back read all that is going on decide what they don't like then send an e-mail that way they become a ghost & never contribute anything constructive to the forum surely it is the opposite that is required, let more members become involved & take part OPENLY.

With respect you had in your thread some 27 posts but for your own reasons to which you stated then pulled the plug & deleted the whole thread. You then started almost immediately a new thread on virtually the same subject which is still running .You have now joined this thread to put your point of view once again . The difference here is that your opinion will remain on view because Gunnar Johnny has stated that he will not delete the thread for any reason & rightly so.

I stand next to Bill Norrie & Gunnar Johnny on the issue of who should be able to delete whole threads & that to have two moderators is not what is required.
Nigel has already stated that certain criteria are automatically filtered so to have a second moderator on the Technics Discussion Forum is surplus to requirements

This has absolutely nothing to do with personalities but is an opinion about good constructive management
Johnnie

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online