SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#422300 - 06/16/16 09:24 AM Liability Insurance?
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Any of ou performers carry liability insurance when you're out on a gig...in case someone would trip on a cable or something like that?

#422301 - 06/16/16 09:28 AM Re: Liability Insurance? [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

always have it,.....many establishments require it or you don't play..

http://www.rvnuccio.com/specialty-insurance-products/dj-mobile-entertainer-insurance/

Edited by Dnj (06/16/16 02:48 PM)

#422303 - 06/16/16 10:38 AM Re: Liability Insurance? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I carried $1-million when I was performing. It was required by 90 percent of the locations where I performed. Never had a single problem, or claim, though, and until recent years, the premium was fairly low. How things have changed.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#422310 - 06/16/16 02:35 PM Re: Liability Insurance? [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I never have, and no one ever asked for it.

#422311 - 06/16/16 02:41 PM Re: Liability Insurance? [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
A very good friend who ws pretty high up in Prudential Insurance told me its good to have but not really necessary. I have a million Dollar coverage extra on my homeowners which would cover me in any instance and its not that expensive since its part of the package.
Now the other thing he told me is no matter what, if somethng happens on the establishments property , they are ultimatly respnsible. They may of course try to push it off on you and have the insurance companies fight it out but its still on them.
As far as places requiring it, again they're trying to get you to assume responsibility, or its a way to use only their entertainers who kick back $$$ to them. Used to be a big ploy in the NJ Wedding factories. A Bride hires you privately and then is told she must use one of the "House Bands" because they are covered. Just more music business BS.

#422313 - 06/16/16 04:58 PM Re: Liability Insurance? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill, it's no different than when I worked in the medical field. When something went wrong in the operating room and the patient died, the lawyers for the patient's family filed suit against everyone from the surgeon down to the person that mopped the floor. I was only involved in one of those in the 15 years I spent working in that field, but I can assure you that I was damned glad I had malpractice insurance and I was represented by the insurance company lawyers. The call is yours, but I would recommend insurance if you are dealing with the public, especially in a NH setting where bad things can easily happen.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#422314 - 06/16/16 05:46 PM Re: Liability Insurance? [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Gary You said it The lawyers will go after whomever they can get the most from . Defiantly think it's good to have the,coverage and it doesn't"t cost that much. As I said they Insurance companies will go back and forth and then settle.
I'm very aware of how I set thing up on a gig for that reason.

#422327 - 06/17/16 08:46 AM Re: Liability Insurance? [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Umbrella policies are great. I have one, but I'm not sure if I'm covered when playing, because I'm not driving or in my home.

I know the umbrella policy does not cover equipment when playing. It's covered when transporting in the vehicle that's insured.

I had a drunk once pull Pa speakers over on himself and a beautiful 335. I paid for his trip to the ER to get checked out. He was ok; the 335 wasn't.

OH, the drunk was a friend.

Russ

#422328 - 06/17/16 09:02 AM Re: Liability Insurance? [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Still,don't forget that claim has to be based on the "proximate cause of the loss", which is simply what premises defect or personal action set the the damage or injury in motion. Businesses have the equivalent coverage of a homeowners. They have premises med pay, which covers injuries regardless of fault up to $5000. Then there is liability for their negligence,both bodily injury and property damage to others.

An entertainer,however,might have exposure to personal acts,and claims arising from a faulty set up or chords etc. With a paid entertainer, his homeowners wouldn't respond unless he had an umbrella policy like Bill has.

Bernie
Forty five years in the insurance business.

#422329 - 06/17/16 09:38 AM Re: Liability Insurance? [Re: Bernie9]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
An entertainer,however,might have exposure to personal acts,and claims arising from a faulty set up or chords etc.

Really? Faulty chords are that dangerous? I have to train the mixolydic jazz scale...
Or did you mean "cords" ? wink

But honestly, maybe I should also check whether my general liability insurance would cover accidents that happen while being commercially active.
Presently I'm about to take out a music instrument insurance covering theft/burglary and damage, as I got to know that my home contents insurance doesn't cover items used for commercial purposes.

Edited by rosetree (06/17/16 10:37 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online