SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#426787 - 10/07/16 10:57 AM OT: My guitar club was shut down....BUMMER!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
For 5 years, it has been my honor to supply guitars, tuners, cases, recording equipment, PA...anything needed for a unique program in Louisville, Kentucky at Kenwick elementary school.

I visited the day the widow of a former musician I was guardian of and I went to her grandaughter's graduation. In her home room was a stack of "garage find" guitars. The teacher, Angela Hardin (I'd adopt her if I could), assisted by her great husband, was buying used guitars, fixing them up and conducting a guitar club after school.

I don't think she believed me at first, but a week after our meeting, I showed up with a truck full of brand new equipment.

The club became really popular...so popular that another teacher from another school began busing students to the school and using the equipment. I gave the top two students in each class their own guitar every semester. The school seemed to love the program. It was one of the more popular of the clubs the kids joined as part of the overall education experience. This was in a troubled neighborhood, with many challenged kids.

Abruptly, this year, the program was cancelled as a cost-saving effort, as were all other arts related programs.

Thing is, this one cost the school NOTHING! I paid all costs
and the teachers did the instruction on their own time.

What a shame. The guitars were given to the best students and I got a box of GREAT thank-you letters from the recipients.

My expectations were relatively low. If just 1 kid a year developed an appreciation for art of ANY kind...music, acting, sculpture, film, writing...anything involving the arts, I would be a happy old dude.

Eliminating the arts is going on all over the country. Liberal arts professors are being fired left and right all over the country, including at my beloved UK.

HOW SAD!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (10/07/16 11:06 AM)

#426788 - 10/07/16 11:56 AM Re: OT: My guitar club was shut down....BUMMER! [Re: captain Russ]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
How unbelievably shortsighted, especially with your kind donations.

#426791 - 10/07/16 01:09 PM Re: OT: My guitar club was shut down....BUMMER! [Re: Bernie9]
Bachus Offline

Incredible showoff of stupidity by people we should trust to educate our kids?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#426792 - 10/07/16 01:11 PM Re: OT: My guitar club was shut down....BUMMER! [Re: Bernie9]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bernie9
How unbelievably shortsighted, especially with your kind donations.

+1

#426797 - 10/07/16 01:52 PM Re: OT: My guitar club was shut down....BUMMER! [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hey Russ - I retired, but my school would LOVE a chance to write you all those thank you letters ... as they have in the past. Wanna start up a guitar club in PA? They're a True Non-Profit, and the arts are HUGE at that school.
www.newhopeacademy.net
Just a friendly nudge. Love ya, man.

#426799 - 10/07/16 01:55 PM Re: OT: My guitar club was shut down....BUMMER! [Re: captain Russ]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Russ
So sad, so shortsighted.

Really scary to think brain dead nit wits, like these , are in charge of what does and what doesn't get taught to our kids.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#426801 - 10/07/16 02:34 PM Re: OT: My guitar club was shut down....BUMMER! [Re: Uncle Dave]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave, if you were involved, I'd surely do it. This was a special thing for me...the little girl has a 61 IQ and is a really severe diabetic. She has been in a coma 5 times, steals sweets all the time and has been placed in foster care twice, with terrible results. The mom has a 70 IQ and works her tail off taking care of the girl and a little boy with tumors all over his body, no tongue, a feeding tube, a breathing assistance device and severe retardation. I'm all they have, and it's the most perplexing thing I have ever tried to fix.

The music program was wonderful. Kids with severe challenges responded.

The kids in your area are the exact opposite, I know. But, as my license plate on my car says....

MUSIC MATTERS!

I'd certainly be interested in ANY worthwhile program involving kids and music, and you'd be the best person I know to do it with.

Best personal regards,

Russ

#426805 - 10/07/16 03:37 PM Re: OT: My guitar club was shut down....BUMMER! [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Russ, my kids were ALL special needs in one way, or another. Some were on the spectrum, some suffering from depression, anxiety or trauma ... they all had a really tough path before they found "New Hope" (yes, that's how the name started!)
I still advise the music department, but I no longer collect a check.

#426816 - 10/08/16 12:09 AM Re: OT: My guitar club was shut down....BUMMER! [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
This is so very sad and unnecessary.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online