SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#42721 - 07/13/02 09:31 AM KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Just got back from the KN7000 presentation. Verdict? In a word, Wonderful Just can't wait to get my hands on mine!
Great new sounds, styles, lots of new features and super new organ sounds and styles. I don't want to say any more and steal Alec's thunder.
For those of you who don't know, Panasonic have recently appointed their own keyboard technical 'Guru', Chris Whitehead, who should complement the excellent support which we all get form Alec. He demonstrated some of the new digital and networking features on the KN7000 and answered lots of questions from the group of 'fans' around the keyboard. He can be contacted by email chris.whitehead@panasonic.co.uk
I would like to thank the team from Technics who gave us an excellent presentation of the KN7000 as well as the new PR804 and PR604 pianos. I now know that some of the Technics guys DO visit this forum, so our 'voices' will be heard.
Although it was a 400 mile round trip for me, it was well worth it

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 07-13-2002).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#42722 - 07/13/02 12:30 PM Re: KN7000
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
..... I now know that some of the Technics guys DO visit this forum, so our 'voices' will be heard... [QUOTE]

And that is good news in my ears, most of you
already know that this is a question that I've
posted by several occasions.
Good to know
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#42723 - 07/13/02 04:35 PM Re: KN7000
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I am anxious to hear things like specific weight, size, poly, etc. And, what sort of foot controllers are available. Alec will probably cover these things in his review. I note that 128Meg SD memory has dropped more in price recently, so things are looking up for mass memory. We should wait till the last moment to buy memory cards. They will continue to drop in price.

#42724 - 07/14/02 03:04 AM Re: KN7000
Alain Offline

Loc: De Panne , Belgium
No more news about the kn7000....price....sound...pictures.....etc...

Alain

#42725 - 07/14/02 05:59 AM Re: KN7000
Lanny Offline

Loc: Placitas, NM USA
Bill,
Thanks for the info on the KN7000. Can you tell us more about the PR604 and 804 as well?

Lanny

#42726 - 07/14/02 08:27 AM Re: KN7000
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Bill: Great to hear you were able to make the 400 mile trip to checkout the KN7000 in person. What was your impression of Technic's new 'drop down over the keys' tilt cover design which appears to put the arranger buttons & controls at a 'new angle' position (further away?) from the keyboard playing area. I'm curious if this makes accessing arranger controls more difficult or not. Also, were you (or any other audience members) allowed to audition the keyboard ? I'm particularly interested if the keyboard touch (feel/action) has changed or been upgraded over the rather lightweight feel of the KN6500.

Nice to hear that Panasonic's Chris Whitehead has now joined the Technics KN7000 team (along with Alec) to provide KN7000 support. Thanks for posting his email address. Neil, please tell us more about the 'new' digital & networking features Chris demonstrated. Perhaps you can also provide more details on the KN7000's sounds & styles as well. Has the acoustic piano sample changed over the already excellent one on the KN6500? Which styles & sounds were the biggest standouts?Does the KN7000 utilize longer sound samples? I assume you'll be one of the first in line to purchase the KN7000. I look forward to hearing more from you, Alec, and others who attended the KN7000 Warwickshire demonstration. - Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#42727 - 07/14/02 04:08 PM Re: KN7000
Derek Ladkin Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Bill and friends,
Glad to hear you made it back OK. Where were you Pete ? I asked around in the Pm session but no one owned up !
Bill had sent me a pcture so I recognised his handsome face :-) and we had time for a friendly chat before he left for home.Great to meet up Bill.
Perhaps we should have a 'mug shot' gallery for the forum members ? Do I hear a groan !

Like Bill says, I'll leave it to Alec to enlarge on the real detail. In fact there were no information brochures or printed technical details at the show.

I can't keep this to few words though Bill, it's bigger than both of us !
Hope I don't upset anyone with my chatter.

For those who remember my report on the 6500 launch..... Technics did it again ! The show opened with a very talented Blonde singer accompanied on the new Pr804 by an excellent musician whose name I can't remember, it was a guy but well I was concentrating on the blonde! Come to think of it I didn't get her name or 'phone number either, Shame, Sara ?
The Pr804, with external surround sound put us right in the middle of a full big band !

After the interval we were treated to the Kn7000 WOW!!!

Simon Hampshire and a colleague demonstrated several of the new backings ,from a super Glenn Miller, Geirge Shearing, Latin Disco etc and then Phil Leader demonstrated the new 'Tab' organs. His 7000 was equipped with an organ pedal board and boy! could he trip the light fantastic on it. I'm not particularly in to Organs but this made me pay attention. I hadn't been impressed with organ sounds on previous models, especially the theatre organs on the 5000 but as for these new ones as the Wurlitzer this time and the Jazz organ,in my opinion,Technics have done the job and bring these right into your home.
Also, with a double bass progammed into the foot pedals and jazz guitar, piano etc, we could have been live in Ronny Scotts ! Brilliant performance by all the demonstrators.

After this, the various uses of the SD card and slideshow capabilities were explained and the demo brought to a close.
One of the 7000 keyboards was then brought out into the foyer ( the two piano's were already there for hands on ) and Chris demonstrated connecting to a computer,the uses of the SD card and downloading options etc.

I'm afraid you will have to wait for detailed explanations from the experts but what was my impression ?
Well I've been trying to fight off the urge to order instantly, but I'm losing !
It seems to have all the control functions and a few more,as the 6500 except for the Sound Controller (I think ) but in a new layout which I feel makes them easier to access on the raised board, particularly the panel memories,being grouped around a central SET button. We all have our own preferences for keyboard control layouts so you can't expect Technics to have satisfied everyone.
I only stood by and tried to take it all in and wasn't confident enough to put hands on keys with all the experts about, despite the oportunity, although I did use the buttons to check through various facilities.
The Rhythms are much improved although may show the same titles as before. Chris said that in fact all the Rhythms and Sounds had been re-mastered and the onboard speakers were a completely new system. This was noticeable too in handling high volume.
Watching other more confident players from the audience, it was apparent that the 7000 was completely hands on friendly and the new layout, when you know what you want to set up, as in the 6/6500, will quickly be absorbed.
One point.....Those of us who have the EWO 1 & 2 boards, take them out before Pxing your keyboard as they can be re-used in the 7000 which has capacity for 4 expansion boards accessed from a new button.Two new boards will become available for Vintage and super sounds,I understand.
So, there is the basic keyboard, just as friendly to play as the previous one but with newly mastered rhythms ,sounds and speaker system and an SD card acting as a faster cheaper HD, among other things.
Then, if you have a computer, a new world opens up but I can't go into all that but just to say that one aspect I think will be really great is that Technics will be making nearly all the rhythm patterns from previous instruments down-loadable from their new web-site, directly into the 7000 keyboard ( no copying to floppy )and Free of charge ! So you can go back and pick up your old favourites.

As Bill mentioned, the Technics staff mixed amongst us,chatted and did their utmost to help us in all matters and deserve a big 'Thank You' for their efforts. I think it has taken customer/manufacturer relations a further step forward.

Well I hope my impressions have not been entirely useless to you my friends but you will no doubt get the real lowdown in due course from our great "Technicalec "friend.

Oh BTW we were told it will market here in the UK at £2099.99

Derek

#42728 - 07/14/02 06:45 PM Re: KN7000
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Great Report Derek,
Thank you for using your time and money to go to this Technics presentation and then making a great report to our forum. I think your report gives us all some new insights for the KN7000, and something to think about. No doubt there will be more information coming in over time. We will be a LQQKING forward to more impressions and information!
Bebop

#42729 - 07/14/02 07:30 PM Re: KN7000
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Thanks, Bill and Derek, for the encouraging report on the KN7000. I'll now confess that I already have a KN7000 on order!

It is especially good news that there will be a web site - did they supply the URL and an indication of when it will be online?

Mike

#42730 - 07/15/02 02:27 AM Re: KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

The excellent singer was Sara Raybould and she was accompanied by Andy Smith. Simon Hampshire alternated with Paul Thirkettle, and you already mentioned that Phil Leader danced on the pedals faster than his fingers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online