SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44111 - 02/12/04 05:29 AM Turn Your Keyboard into a Player Piano
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Hi All,

I don't know how many of you remember the days of the Player Paino also known as the Pianola.

I remember going to my grandmothers who had one of these and sitting for hours just pumping the peddles to make it play. Maybe that and the fact that my dad played honky tonk in bars is what got me started playing.

About a week ago I sent a Midi file to Bebop so he could email some of these song to others who may be interested in this type of music and playing. He informed me that the file was to big to send out (it included 126 songs) so I was going to break it down into smaller files for him.

However, since he has resigned as the moderator it I would not expect him to send these files out to all of you so I'm posting the website where you can go and get this wonderful music should you feel so inclined.

To date there are about 1425 songs that have been converted to midi as part of a "save the music" campain.

This is the music website: http://members.shaw.ca/smythe/library.htm

And this is the main homepage: http://members.shaw.ca/smythe/rebirth.htm

These songs sound really great on the keyboards and there are all styles of music included.

I hope you'll enjoy them.

Heather

#44112 - 02/12/04 10:38 AM Re: Turn Your Keyboard into a Player Piano
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Thank you Heather, I've downloaded all and
listened to a few so far.
Good stuff, I only whish I could play as
well myself
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#44113 - 02/12/04 12:06 PM Re: Turn Your Keyboard into a Player Piano
Sapphire Offline

Loc: Benfleet, Essex. UK
Thanks for the link Heather.

My dad was a pianist and so was his brother and after downloading all the pianola files I can tell you I was in seventh heaven. I only wish I was at least half as good as they were. These song are a part of our history and must not be allowed to be forgotten. In my opinion the melodies of these songs are far better than the
majority of songs written currently (with a few exceptions). Thanks again for some wonderful memories.

Sapphire

#44114 - 02/12/04 03:31 PM Re: Turn Your Keyboard into a Player Piano
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I played a job where they wanted a acoustic piano player. I programed the Sound Arranger so the style played drums, bass, guitar and piano---and my right and left play only piano sounds, no other instruments. They liked what they heard, I was asked to come back.

I used the same type of setup for Rhumba, cha cha, big band--ect.
My Dad was a excelent piano player. Classical, opera, dance music, he palyed it all.

With the help of all the keyboard goodies/effects, I am alomost aproaching some of his work.

John C.

#44115 - 02/12/04 03:41 PM Re: Turn Your Keyboard into a Player Piano
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I am creating an old 20's type of band and styles. You know the one with the shaky Clarinet and sax. Where the drums, bass and guitar played on all four beats. And they all played slightly out of tune.

Just imagine going from that kind of sound to a to a big band or contemporary sound. That would certainly show people what these keyboards can do. We would have their interest.

John C.

#44116 - 02/13/04 12:41 AM Re: Turn Your Keyboard into a Player Piano
Mark And Michelle Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, Essex, U K
Thanks Heather,

I downloaded the *.ZIP files and having played them on the 6K can't but wonder if this wasn't the first version of sequencing or step-recording.

I'm going to do some research as to how this 'vintage' technology started. I'll post any links I find to this topic.

Thanks again,

Mark

#44117 - 02/13/04 12:57 AM Re: Turn Your Keyboard into a Player Piano
Mark And Michelle Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, Essex, U K
A second reply from Mark

Try the Pianola Institute at:
http://www.pianola.org/

#44118 - 02/13/04 06:10 AM Re: Turn Your Keyboard into a Player Piano
shcox Offline

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the website address. I had not found that one and it has some very interesting stuff on it.

I agree that in a sense it was the first type of sequencing.

I didn't realize that many of them were marked up recording. The first Computer Synth I had was on a "TRS-80 Model I" called Orchestra-80. The way you programmed the songs was to enter each note Like C4/Q that C 4th octive 1 quarter beat. That's like a markup. I did a complete version of the pop song "Stairway to Heaven" and I couldn't play a note of it.

I do think the Technics Keyboards do these old "recording" justice because they sound so good. Infact since you can play them using a Grand Piano setting they may sound better now than they ever did.

And while I have the PR54 piano I still call it a keyboard because it really is just a self contained keyboard that sets on top of a set of legs. I actuallly could take the legs off, plug in a KN7000 foot pedal and use it like a KN2400 which it is closest too of the KN keyboards. It's just a little heavier since it has the weighted
keys.

Take Care
Heather

#44119 - 02/13/04 06:26 AM Re: Turn Your Keyboard into a Player Piano
shcox Offline

Hi Gunnar and Sapphire and John,

I'm glad you are enjoying these songs. I think the melodies of these songs are just that melodies. While I do enjoy all kinds of music (even some of the stuff today) I do find that many songs just don't have what I would call a melody. You can't hum it or in many cases even sing it.

What I like most about these old songs is the ability to here one instrument. While I like a well arranged song sometimes you lose the sounds a the individual instruments when they are all mixed together.

John, I hope you'll share some songs with us using those kinds of styles. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds.

Best Wishes,
Heather

#44120 - 02/13/04 03:33 PM Re: Turn Your Keyboard into a Player Piano
Anonymous
Unregistered

Heather,

What a winner. Thanks so much for the direction.

Fran in Florida

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online