SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#44317 - 10/25/02 07:03 AM 7k downloads
technicsplayer Offline

the KN3000 preset styles will soon be available for free download at www.technicskn7000.com joining the KN2000 and KN5000 preset styles.

Following on will be the styles from KN6500 that are not on the KN7000.

#44318 - 10/25/02 07:21 AM Re: 7k downloads
zuki Offline

Dear TP,
Jumping from the yamaha/tyros venue, I am seeking advice on the 7000 in preparation for a potential purchase. This board gets slammed by the other groups. I have not yet owned a Technics. Some comments I've heard:
1. Cheesy sounds
2. Cheesy buttons
3. 'Organish' styles
4. More home oriented
Anyay, the list goes on and on. The main thing I want for is to compose and use the sd technology for fun. Question: Would you say that this board has the sounds capable of creating a nice polished mixdown/song? I've owned all the yama boards and wanting a basic change without being disappointed.
Your comments are appreciated because I know you know your craft well.
Regards,
ZUK

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

#44319 - 10/25/02 11:03 AM Re: 7k downloads
KN_Fan Offline

Zuki,
I've never played the 7000 before, BUT I've been a Technics user for many years (EVEN prior to the KN era). I've owned the AX series, K series, and ALL KN from 800 up to the 6000.

Autobiography aside, you'll need to find out what you like. Keyboards is just like cars...test drive and see which one fits you better. Don't let my name fool you, yes..I USED to be a devoted Technics fan, but I also used other keyboards too.

The only two reasons why I got technics was:

1. Composer feature-
2. Family used to be the distributor until 5 years ago. (still can get cheaper price than most people though)

My response to your comments:

1. Cheesy sounds-Not necessarily. Play and see for yourself.

2. Cheesy buttons-This is subjective. You have to see for yourself in person. BUT, Technics do try a little bit too hard in making every single sound/feature easily accessible without going into 2nd, 3rd, 4th pages in the monitor. This may result in overcrowding the keyboard with buttons.

3. 'Organish' styles-I can agree with you on up to certain level here. Technics started their musical products with organs first.

4. More home orient-I'd prefer the term "semi-pro". But you'll see lots of accomplished and FULLY pro (is that a word?) like Scott Yee for example, who uses Technics heavily...(scott? where's my marketing fee?

I'm asking you the same question I asked myself..."do I want just different set of sounds? or do I want an "arranger keyboard"...i've never used SD tech so I can't say anything about that. But, since you already have other keyboards (Yamaha)...perhaps what you need is a sound module instead? or a sampler?

I've been considering the Triton Studio by Korg.

Sorry for long response.
KN_Fan (soon may change name to be more objective).

#44320 - 10/25/02 02:18 PM Re: 7k downloads
Pete Dale Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
Another Proud owner of the KN7000
Regards

#44321 - 10/25/02 04:00 PM Re: 7k downloads
KN_Fan Offline

Just to add though....I still like Technics... Pete-congrats for your new toy!
KN_Fan

#44322 - 10/26/02 04:25 AM Re: 7k downloads
technicsplayer Offline

what can I say, Zuki?
I never pay attention to other peoples subjective opinions on forums because their ears and tastes are not the same as mine. I could spend my days telling other people what I don't like about other keyboards but I regard that as a waste of time. I have spent a lot of my time telling people how they can get the best out of their keyboard.

What I will say is that those that claim that their board is the best in the world to the exclusion of all others are invariably the ones whose opinions you can trust the least.

Technics sound is quite different to Yamaha, each board has strengths and weaknesses in different areas. The requirements of a stage performer are quite different to the requirements of home player or a studio multitracker (even if done at home). I have spent many hours on tyros and remain happy with my choice. I just don't feel the need to trash other people's choices that don't suit my particular needs or tastes.

If you've followed the forum I have done a couple of 7k MP3s to show what an amateur can produce, rather than a pro demonstrator. These can speak for themselves. I've tried most of everything on the market, mostly side by side, and sometimes am totally baffled by some of the things I read on forums

#44323 - 10/26/02 09:46 AM Re: 7k downloads
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
what can I say, Zuki?
I never pay attention to other peoples subjective opinions on forums because their ears and tastes are not the same as mine. I could spend my days telling other people what I don't like about other keyboards but I regard that as a waste of time. I have spent a lot of my time telling people how they can get the best out of their keyboard.

What I will say is that those that claim that their board is the best in the world to the exclusion of all others are invariably the ones whose opinions you can trust the least.

Technics sound is quite different to Yamaha, each board has strengths and weaknesses in different areas. The requirements of a stage performer are quite different to the requirements of home player or a studio multitracker (even if done at home). I have spent many hours on tyros and remain happy with my choice. I just don't feel the need to trash other people's choices that don't suit my particular needs or tastes.

If you've followed the forum I have done a couple of 7k MP3s to show what an amateur can produce, rather than a pro demonstrator. These can speak for themselves. I've tried most of everything on the market, mostly side by side, and sometimes am totally baffled by some of the things I read on forums

I tip my hat to Alec for this post. I agree that he has always had EVERYONE'S interest in mind as he makes his posts to apply to our learning curves. I have always found him to be objective. I don't always agree with him but I am thankful that he is here and committed to sharing his knowledge with us. The work he does here is very important. I am sure we learn more from him then we do from the so-called manuals that come with our new machines. Thanks TP

------------------
BEBOP
Moderator SynthZone TECHNICS FORUM
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=25
Bill Forrest in SAN JOSE, CALIF. USA
bforrest@ix.netcom.com ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://www.anycities.com/bebop/

#44324 - 10/26/02 11:56 AM Re: 7k downloads
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Well said, Bebop. I most certainly agree with your comments. There is not likely anyone else who would spend their time and energy to share their knowledge with us. Even though we may disagree at times, we still maintain the respect and thanks.

#44325 - 10/26/02 10:22 PM Re: 7k downloads
zuki Offline

THANKS all for your replies. I have settled strongly in my heart for the 7000 and now have worked myself in to a lather while I await the purchase (I had the opportunity to play one recently). With unselfish and caring contributors like TP and others and the downloads and enormous keyboard features offered; Technics...here I come.
Regards,
ZUK

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online