SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#44327 - 01/11/03 01:08 PM Song Search
Anonymous
Unregistered

Listening to the car radio last week I heard a neat song, I believe by Chas and Dave and I think the title is "Flying".

Found a style that sounds like the intro and ending. Cannot find the music in our stores. If anyone has it I sure would like a copy.

My normal listening and playing does not go past the 60's. Who is Chas and Dave?

cheers

Fran in Florida

#44328 - 01/11/03 03:23 PM Re: Song Search
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Fran,
Chas and Dave are a couple of Cockney (Londoners) musicians who have been around the British music scene, for a long time. Chas plays piano, Dave plays electric Bass and Mickey Burt plays drums. They mostly play typical London Pub songs and as far as I am aware, still tour around the pubs, although I believe they run a pub of their own.
Chas Hodges is actually a very accomplished musician who plays piano, Fiddle, Bass and Guitar. He used to play with a country rock band called Heads, Hands and Feet, in the Sixties. That band also included a guitarist called Albert Lee, who is probably one of the best country rock guitarists and is in great demand as a session musician.
They have got a web site, so have a look here: http://www.chasndave.freeserve.co.uk/
I've got a couple of their recordings so I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can find the song you mentioned.
Cheers

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#44329 - 01/11/03 04:01 PM Re: Song Search
Brian Barton Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran in Florida:
Listening to the car radio last week I heard a neat song, I believe by Chas and Dave and I think the title is "Flying".

Found a style that sounds like the intro and ending. Cannot find the music in our stores. If anyone has it I sure would like a copy.

My normal listening and playing does not go past the 60's. Who is Chas and Dave?

cheers

Fran in Florida

Chas and Dave were a couple of London cockney entertainers, Chas would thump the ivories and Dave would harmonise and strum guitar. they would play mainly uptempo knees up cockney songs and old music hall numbers.
Like, Knees up mother brown, Any old Iron,
Aby my boy, and many others. I had the pleasure of being in the supporting Band
on one of their gigs, playing sax in a semi-pro quartet many years ago. I think they started playing as pub entertainers. I have
a tape of them that really gets a party going, I cant say that I know the song that you are looking for. Try the UK music sites
on the Web.
Brian.

#44330 - 01/12/03 03:29 AM Re: Song Search
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi again Fran,
I've had a look through my CD collection and found the tune to which you refer - 'Flying' performed by Chas and Dave. It is not their usual style at all - no vocals and quite 'reserved' compared to their normal renderings. As to obtaining the sheet music, I think you may have a problem, but as Brian says, you could try some of the UK music sites. I'll be in touch via email.....

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#44331 - 01/13/03 11:28 AM Re: Song Search
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Fran, I thought the names Chas and Dave sounded familiar, so I checked my notes and found I had used a Chas and Dave "Saloon Rock" for one of the songs I did for Christmas that went on the forum two years back - "Up On The Housetop". I actually have two of their styles, the other being "Saloon Boogie", but I can't begin to tell you where they came from. Anyway, they are winging their way to Florida, so enjoy!

#44332 - 01/13/03 02:25 PM Re: Song Search
Catsailor Offline

Hi Fran,

I know the song you're talking about. It's been around a while. I have it on a CD. I really like it, too! I've been trying to find the music for a long time, but without success. If you come across anything, please post your results. Maybe one of the more accomplished musicians on the synthzone forums can put together a midi file of the song. That sure would be great!

Peter

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online