SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#45017 - 04/26/05 03:33 AM Raising Drum Volume of Built - In Style
K1 & K2 Offline

Loc: Rockhampton, Queensland, Austr...
Hello,
I'm wondering if someone could tell me if & how it is possible to increase the drum volume of the "Scottish Reel" style in my KN 7. At present I have it set at 127 & have balanced the rest of the style & R1/R2 accordingly. I need the "Drums" in this particular style to have more Oomph! for dancing. I vaguely remember a posting a fair while back where I thought that the Drum Volume could be edited by transferring the style to the Composer.

I look forward to any suggestions that you may have.

Yours In Music,
Alan

#45018 - 04/26/05 05:41 AM Re: Raising Drum Volume of Built - In Style
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
It's 2 years since I had a 7000, but it can be done, step record comes to mind, but I'm a bit vague!!! (normal state) Walter.

#45019 - 04/26/05 07:27 AM Re: Raising Drum Volume of Built - In Style
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Alan,
Your memory serves you correctly It can be done by using the Composer facility.
Make sure that the 'APC/Sequencer Volume' slider is set to maximum.

First, you need to copy the Scottish Reel style to Composer :
1. Select the style - Latin&World > Scottish Reel
2. Press Program Menus > Composer > Pattern Copy.
3. In the 'FROM' box, check that 'Scottish Reel' is selected and 'Pattern' is set to 'ALL'
4.In the 'TO' box, select Memory A and set 'Pattern' to 'ALL'
5. Press 'OK' - this will copy the style to Composer A
6. Press 'EXIT' once and select 'RECORDING MEMORY' A
7. Select the Variation which you wish to edit, using the lower buttons - the Red Box indicates the selected variation.
8. Press OK and then press 'DR1' - the selected Variation will then start to play. You can stop/start the style playing at any time during editing, by using the 'START/STOP' button ( What Else? )
9. While the style is playing, press 'PART SETTING' - all the individual components of the selected style variation will now be displayed on the screen.
10. In the fifth column, you will see the volume balance figures for each component ; 0 is maximum and -127 is minimum (Off)
11. The current preset value for DR1 in this style is -11. You can try increasing this value to 0 and see if that suits your purpose. However, this may not be sufficient since this is only a relatively small increase. There are other alternatives...
12. Try decreasing the volume balance of the other parts in the style variation - for example : Bass -35, Accomp1 -50, Accomp2 -50, Accomp3 -50, Accomp4 -50 and set DR1 to 0. This will effectively make the DR1 component louder, relative to the other parts. You can then increase the overall style volume of the KN7000, using the Main Volume control, to compensate for the reduced Bass and Accompaniment parts. You may have to adjust your Left, RT1 and RT2 balance, when you return to the normal play set-up. If you use more than one variation, then you will have to edit the Volume balance levels in all the variations used in your performance.
13. You could also experiment with different drum kits to try to obtain the effect you require. When the 'PART SETTING' screen is visible, place the Red cursor rectangle over DRUM1 and start the style playing.
14. Press the 'DRUM KITS' button in the 'SOUND GROUP' and then press 'DISPLAY HOLD'. You can then work your way through the available kits. Some will be completely inappropriate !!
15. If all else fails, there is another method by which you can increase the sounds made by the selected drum kit, but it is a bit laborious. It involves increasing the velocity value of each drum event, throughout each of the the style variations. I won't post this option here at present, unless you request me to do so.
16. When you have edited all the necessary variations, don't forget to save the new set-up.
17. Press PROGRAM MENUS > SD LOAD > SAVE > TECHNICS FORMAT > Page 2 and make sure that as a minimum, 'COMPOSER' is selected.
18. Page 1 > SONG NAMING > (Appropriate name) > SAVE.
You can now use the edited style, more or less, as if it was a built-in style and select and save the variations within Panel Memory as normal. If you find during playing, that the balance within the components of the edited style, is not quite as you would like, then you can carry out adjustments just using the balance sliders, for the Accompaniment parts, in the 'Home' Screen.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#45020 - 04/26/05 08:42 AM Re: Raising Drum Volume of Built - In Style
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
WILLUM/BILL.....Many thanks for your wonderful instructional responses.

Thanks also to the original poster for the question.

So many times I want to ask questions but don't because I am not sure what the question really is?

#45021 - 04/26/05 02:01 PM Re: Raising Drum Volume of Built - In Style
Retired Offline

Loc: England
Hi Willum,
I’m more of a hands on person, and not very good at
explaining the procedures that I carry out on the
KN7000, but when I get to paragraph 9 in your
great explanation,
I also go to page 2of 2, then column EQ-HI, I tweak to about 5oo
then the second column EQ-HI gain, I tweak up to about 12, which also
increases the volume, then I do the same to EQ-Low in the
third and fourth column, which also seems to increase the base.

If I have got it wrong, I would be grateful if you would say so,
as I don’t want to miss lead any one.
Best wishes
Fred Wren U.K.

#45022 - 04/26/05 05:32 PM Re: Raising Drum Volume of Built - In Style
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi,
Bill gives as usual a right and detailed advise. Maybe you allow me to add another dimension. In general the drums (and bass) in the KN7 are tmo to weak (or my ears are getting older ) ). Connecting a audio-mixer to your KN7 and using the subout feature makes a lot of difference.
I you wish more information about this, please visit the Tips&Tricks page on KESO, and have a look under HI ..
Greetings,
Cees

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 04-26-2005).]

#45023 - 04/26/05 07:38 PM Re: Raising Drum Volume of Built - In Style
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bill and cees, are giving great idea. Bill takes it step-by-step, he covers completly. Cee's idea has to do with a method of amplification, also a great idea.

I am using both methods plus a third --- the user drum kit. I create a user drim kit and add it when needed with the arranger. It does not work with all stlyes, but it does gives me another dimention when playing live.

Saving the style to the composer works well when sequencing a song. For live playing you will have to store it as a new creation.

Using the out-puts (Subs) to bring out the drums and bass is also a great idea ------------but, on the last job I played, I set the keyboard to send the drums and bass out the sub output. Worked great until I loaded a midi file and it changed my settings. I must admitt I lost it, all those faces looking up at me. They were listneing to a style without bass and drums.

My imput, John C.

#45024 - 04/27/05 01:57 AM Re: Raising Drum Volume of Built - In Style
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bruno123:
I am using both methods plus a third --- the user drum kit.

Hi All
I use the fourth method Being naturally lazy I take the easy way out. When I'm playing for dancing I set up 8 panel memories with drums and bass at 127 but reduce all the other settings so that drums and bass are strong. With touch sensitivity set at 9 I can vary the strength of the melody to suit. Then I save settings to SD as Scottish Reel, Barn Dance, Mayfair Quickstep etc.

John

#45025 - 04/27/05 03:24 AM Re: Raising Drum Volume of Built - In Style
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi guys,
I knew it, I knew it .... this forum is the lone and only knowledge base for KN-lovers
Cees

#45026 - 04/27/05 05:34 AM Re: Raising Drum Volume of Built - In Style
K1 & K2 Offline

Loc: Rockhampton, Queensland, Austr...
Hi & many thanks to everyone who responded.

Bill - I'll work through your excellent detailed instructions at this stage & wait & see what outcome I achieve.

Fred - I'll also be trying your suggestion.

Cees - My present set up is :-
1. KN7 - Main L & R outputs > P/Mixer Stereo Ch. 1
2. KN7 - Sub outputs 1 & 2 > P/Mixer Mono Ch. 3 & 4
Sub outputs carry Drums 1 & 2 in stereo
& panned accordingly.
3. Powered Mixer - Mono out from mixer > input of a separate power amp. for sub bass.

4. Powered Mixer > Speakers A & B - Main Mix (Keyboards & Vocals)

5. Power Amp > Speakers C & D - KN7 Sub Bass.

6. Drums can be EQd.separately with mixer when needed, depending on style being used within reason.

John C - Have noted your suggestion. another option.

John - Banks of Panel Memories are "so" important for dance musicians.

Many thanks to you all for your helpful advice with which I will work through & hopefully achieve a positive outcome.

Yours in Music,
Alan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online