SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#46068 - 03/07/03 03:37 AM Recording from KN7000 to PC (To Burn CD)
tonykn7000 Offline

Loc: Colchester , Essex , UK
Hi all
I have never been able to get a decent recording fron the KN7 to PC.

I have tried the PC tweaks as per Alex's instructions in the new book but still no joy. A couple of things I have noticed while
trying various things.

(1) With usb connected to the PC and I reboot
the KN7000 is not shown in the USB devices and I have to unplug and re insert the lead to get it to show on the PC. Is this normal ??
(2) If I change the multimedia properties to Panansonic the Playback is fine and it highlighted and you have the volume control sliders.
(3) If I change the recording to panasonic the little mic icon goes grey and has no properties or sliders.

I am thinking of upgrading my PC which is a windows 98 with Cyrix 333 processer and 198 mb ram. What is the minimum system spec that
anyone has used to get a good result on Panasonic recording software. I can then use this info to find out if the processor speed or software is my problem and help me to decide on an up grade.

#46069 - 03/07/03 08:32 AM Re: Recording from KN7000 to PC (To Burn CD)
Mike ORegan Offline

You need a minimum of Windows 98 2ND EDITION for your PC to properly recognise USB. If you are using a USB HUB, you might have better luck bypassing it.

#46070 - 03/07/03 09:47 AM Re: Recording from KN7000 to PC (To Burn CD)
tonykn7000 Offline

Loc: Colchester , Essex , UK
Thanks for your reply

Should have said windows 98SE and direct into USB on PC

#46071 - 03/07/03 01:10 PM Re: Recording from KN7000 to PC (To Burn CD)
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Tony, I've done successful recordings to a PC with a similar spec to the one you mention, using Win98SE, so I doubt if that is your problem. Might be worth re-installing your USB drivers and if you have another USB device, testing the port. However, as I have mentioned several times on this forum, I don't use the Panasonic recorder for recording from KN7000. I use a digital audio editor called Goldwave. The main reason for this is that recording from the KN7000 via USB always seems to produce an insufficient level for transferring to CD, so the level really needs to be increased before burning a CD. Since this has to be done, it makes sense to use a single program, which is capable of both recording and optomising the volume level, before saving to disc, either as .WAV (for CD) or MP3 etc. There are several other digital audio editors available but I have found, in common with some other forum members, that it is a relatively easy to use and comprehensive editor. A fully operational evaluation download is available free from Goldwave.com and it interfaces directly with USB.
It may be of iterest to you, to read the following thread. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/001328.html
Hope this helps....

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#46072 - 03/07/03 02:34 PM Re: Recording from KN7000 to PC (To Burn CD)
technicsplayer Offline

1) normal - usb is really designed to be hot pluggable. You should really power the pc and 7k and then plug the 7k into the pc. Just unplug when all activity has ceased.

2) normal

3) normal because Panasonic usb has taken over the recording function. If you want to use a mic plug it into the 7k and use the slider on the panel.

I am biased against cyrix processors because their relative performance is dire but know of a similar system that works ok so cannot be dogmatic about it.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online