SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#463657 - 12/22/18 11:13 PM Seven years full circle
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
In 2011, and for a couple years after, I was using a Roland BK7m module with lightweight controller keyboard and T.C. Helicon Harmony M voice processor.
Today in nearly 2019, after going through several Yamahas, Korgs, Ketrons I'm back to about the same thing. In fact I can't really tell any difference in recordings of the same song from then and now.
I said at the time I sold the BK7m that if Roland ever made a keyboard version of it, I would jump on it. That's pretty much what the EA7 is, with some additional enhancements. . . new styles, a few new sounds, and of course 61 keys. It also has a good vocal processor, but no harmony. And it has speakers, pads and sliders.
It has a sound and styles I like. Certainly doesn't have some of the bells and whistles as competing lines, but it also does some things they don't do.
Just thinking, I could have probably saved a lot of time and aggravation by not doing anything until now! smile
I remember getting away from the module because I needed so many add-ons that it was a chore to set up all the time. It played midi files but didn't display the lyrics, except through an external monitor. It even had the makeup function that is missing now!
So a laptop, vocal processor, monitor, controller, mixer all connecting cables and power supplies--it was a difficult configuration.
I think the EA7 may have a little better sound processor, but it still sounds pretty much the same to me. And I like it.
Just food for thought.
I may post two recordings of the same song and see if anyone can tell which is which.

#463668 - 12/23/18 03:11 AM Re: Seven years full circle [Re: DonM]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Don. Interesting article. Myself don't have a problem learning a new keyboard OS but for most players this is the reason they won't change and buy a different brand of board.

If there were available more 3rd party styles conversions to Roland this would increase sales.

Best wishes for 2019 from the UK.

#463671 - 12/23/18 04:21 AM Re: Seven years full circle [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Great news..... I always thought you sounded fantastic playing with a Roland arranger Don...
Merry Christmas

Edited by Dnj (12/23/18 04:21 AM)

#463672 - 12/23/18 05:04 AM Re: Seven years full circle [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Is there any he didn't sound fantastic with ?!? wink grin

#463673 - 12/23/18 05:59 AM Re: Seven years full circle [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I second the motion made by Tony! Don would sound good accompanied by a Kazoo, Scrub-board and Jug Band. When you "have it"... you simply "have it." Thanks for taking time to explain your full circle, Don... but it's your vocal and "keytar" abilities, coupled with your stage presence that propel you to the top of the heap. Merry Christmas!

#463674 - 12/23/18 06:02 AM Re: Seven years full circle [Re: Riceroni9]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Don, you have proven that it is not the keyboard but the man behind the keyboard. I bought every Technics that they made after the Kn1000, Roland, Tyros2, Korg 800,900,Pa4x,Wersi organ and keyboard. and now Yamaha Psr 2000,2100,S970, and S975.

I bought all these keyboards because of boredom, I needed a new keyboard because it got me excited again. I was not a Gary who found the excitement inside himself. I did my best work creating sequences, styles, pads, and performing when I was using Technics. Although I had many Technics different models, their OS was very much the same. That was a touch of Gary.

Don, you have a great gift, and it is not limited to music. May you have a beautiful Christmas and a HEALTHY New Year.

I like he Dons of this world, John C.

#463677 - 12/23/18 08:14 AM Re: Seven years full circle [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thank you so much my friends, for those wonderful comments.
John C., you are exactly right, it's a quest for something different, not so much for something better!
Merry Christmas to all!

#463681 - 12/23/18 08:30 AM Re: Seven years full circle [Re: DonM]
124 Offline

I've said before on here that if it weren't for the lack of an onboard harmoniser, I might have gone for an EA7. For me, the less add-ons, hook-ups, the better. That's why I'm very happy with my Pa3x.

And, as Don says, for all general intents and purposes, there's not much difference between my eleven year old Pa1xPro and this 3x.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all this great bunch on here.

#463682 - 12/23/18 08:34 AM Re: Seven years full circle [Re: 124]
Dnj Offline

Don have you tried editing styles, sounds, Dynamix, etc, yet...?
much more can be done on the EA7 to kick it up a notch.

#463683 - 12/23/18 09:18 AM Re: Seven years full circle [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I talked with an old friend a couple nights ago who had some keyboard problems that I quickly resolved for him. He purchased a PSR 2000 when that model first arrived on the scene and has been using it ever since. A week ago, one of his key pads finally gave up, after all these years. I had some spare ones here, so he came to the house and I installed the strip for him, and everything worked fine. To test it, we plugged into my Bose L1 Compact and he fired up just as he has been doing every week for more than 2 decades. He still sounded fantastic. The irony of it all is that there was very little noticeable difference when he sat down and performed with my PSR-S950.

Congratulations Don,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online