Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#467013 - 03/05/19 03:24 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony, at our age, newer is a relative term. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#467016 - 03/05/19 03:38 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Tony, at our age, newer is a relative term. wink
Gary cool

Newest ? ... Latest ? ... grin

#467017 - 03/05/19 03:45 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By GlennT
After experiencing and witnessing the frustration many of us have had with the senior home circuit, one might consider going after a perhaps limited, but more worthwhile market, in private senior events..... retirement parties, 50th or 40th anniversaries, 80 year old birthday parties, etc. While performing for hundreds of senior residence events, I've had only a few of such special events... and found them to be more profitable and more fun (what else is there?) Only challenge is finding and booking... marketing. Any thoughts?
Glenn

Glenn

Going back to your original post, obviously following a lot of Gary's advice would be worth while ... As for venues, aside from the usual NH/AL venues, I would look into the '55+' communities that seem to be popping up all around us ... Most of these places have nice clubhouses used by the community residents for various functions, and some even have a pretty nice restaurant where they might be able to incorporate some live entertainment ...
Just remember to advertise yourself for the audience you are looking to entertain ...

#467018 - 03/05/19 03:47 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By montunoman

Heck, even the elderly folks are now into line dancing to the recent hit songs with the dirty lyrics and all! Lots of senior centers have line dancing classes that are very popular.
You got to be ready for anything now- We all love the old standards but times are changing!

Paul - and others - what are you noticing the seniors line dancing to these days? ... I know all about the 'old chestnuts', but what about the newer stuff?

Blurred lines, Fireball, Cake by the Ocean,
Uptown Funk, The Wobble, Cupid Shuffle,
Let's Get Loud, etc, etc,

#467019 - 03/05/19 03:54 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Donny ... just to clarify, these are line dances SENIORS are dancing to ?

#467020 - 03/05/19 04:05 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Donny ... just to clarify, these are line dances SENIORS are dancing to ?

Not all..... Cupid shuffle and Wobble are.. Todays seniors start at 55..

Edited by Dnj (03/05/19 04:08 PM)

#467021 - 03/05/19 04:43 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
My wife joined a line dancing group at the local rec center. She says she is the youngest in the class by far. Everyone in the group is in there’s 60s and 70’s she says. I’ll ask her for some song titles.

I’ll add that I play drums with in a Tejano/oldies band. They’ve been playing together since 1960! Anyways, they play a lot of 50+ anniversary parties, 70, 80, 90 and even 100 year birthday parties. During the breaks, the leaders grandson who is ia DJ, plays line dancing songs, And the dance floor fills up even with the elderly folks. He plays all the songs that Donny mentioned among others. I’ll try to get his list. Personally I’m not into that sort of music at all, so durring breaks I just try to get some fresh air.... But yes, it is quite a sight to see!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#467022 - 03/05/19 04:43 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Thank you both ...

#467049 - 03/06/19 04:26 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Not right on Glenn’s topic but seems relevant about line dancing .

What I’ve seen here in the Villages Florida. There are 3 town squares and every evening (unless rainy) from 5 to 9 they have live bands or singers using backing tracks. There are a couple of outstanding bands but I have never seen the dance floors/fields/brick concrete squares more more packed than when Scooter the DJ is performing. He really gets the audience involved, from what I’ve read he is one of the highest paid entertainers here.

https://www.scooterthedj.com

Edited by Stephenm52 (03/06/19 04:31 AM)

#467059 - 03/06/19 06:28 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
"Getting your foot in the door" says it all, at least as far as getting past square one. A very successful college football coach once said, regarding recuiting talented players, "get them to visit our facility/campus, we'll do the rest" His recuiting success rate with those players was excellent because he not only had the "entire package", but knew how to show it and sell it. The analogy... as an entertainer, of course one must have the "entire package", which covers a lot. It includes your music, showmanship, personality, and confidence that you can do it. And only then does it make sense to even go after square one.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online