SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#467114 - 03/06/19 07:39 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Bill Lewis]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
[quote=Stephenm52]Not right on Glenn’s topic but seems relevant about line dancing .

What I’ve seen here in the Villages Florida. There are 3 town squares and every evening (unless rainy) from 5 to 9 they have live bands or singers using backing tracks. There are a couple of outstanding bands but I have never seen the dance floors/fields/brick concrete squares more more packed than when Scooter the DJ is performing. He really gets the audience involved, from what I’ve read he is one of the highest paid entertainers here.

https://www.scooterthedj.com

So please enlighten us as to what he does that makes him so special. I'd love to see him in person and learn. From the pictures I see he gets involved with the audience, big Mickey Mouse hands and all but what are some of his other "Bits" that work.

Edited by Jerryghr (03/06/19 07:50 PM)

#467136 - 03/07/19 07:28 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Thanks Jerry
Most DJ's do some "bits" to involve the crowd. This guy is one continuous "bit"and he knows what gets them going and is successful. The big dollar Wedding DJ's use "party motivators" to get people involved.
There's a guy who does a similiar thing here on Hilton Head. Every Wed. at Shelter Cove, a big retail and condo development on the harbor. All the other restaurants had to sign an agreement not to have any outdoor entertainment on Wed. night so as not to interfere with his show. His show is mostly kid oriented and people literally are throwing their kids on the stage to participate.
Far from preforming music as the main focus but it sells. I'll still keep practicing the piano.

#467140 - 03/07/19 08:19 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I admire his energy, and knowing his own strength, but there is no amount of money that would make that type of show appeal to me. (as a performer)
I need a better balance of art and entertainment. If I ever have to resort to being a clown to earn a living ... it's time for plan B ... or C ... or ...
Let me be clear - I'm not dissing his act. I'm just saying that, as a musician, and an artist it's not my cup of tea.
I've said before, it's not the money that motivates me. It's the work. There are lots of jobs that pay more that I'll never do.

There's a great quote from pulp fiction that I LOVE:
(from the breakfast scene)

"VINCENT: Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good.

JULES: A sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'll never know, 'cause even if
it did, I wouldn't eat the filthy ************"

Some things just don't interest me.
smile

#467141 - 03/07/19 08:22 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I still get a thrill from playing music, and from others enjoying it. When that stops, so will I. I do some lame jokes and interact when appropriate, but I won't be a clown.
My job is not to try to please everyone; it is to do what I do and find people who want to hear it. So far, so good.

#467143 - 03/07/19 08:26 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By DonM
I do some lame jokes and interact when appropriate, but I won't be a clown.

YUP. My thoughts exactly. Clown is not in my job description.
(cue Seinfeld: not that there's anything WRONG with that)
smile

#467144 - 03/07/19 08:33 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
It seems that more and more thats what people want. I get calls to DJ and they always ask "do you do line dances" Answer is yes but I don't run around the stage I just play them.
I've had a nice job at a CC every year for the 4th. Just DJ by the pool. They didn't want any keyboard or vocals. Last year they had a new mgr. When I showed up he asked if I could do kids games and give away prizes. Luckily it was about to rain so I had to play inside and got spared from being the kids clown act. Next year I think I'll turn that job down even though its is big money.
I draw the line too but theres less and less call for just music at parties. Still hoping for that elusive restaurant job where I can just play and sing.

#467145 - 03/07/19 08:38 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Bill Lewis]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Thanks Jerry
I'll still keep practicing the piano.

Plus 1. And yes I still get lots of enjoyment out of playing music. I don’t care to be a DJ.

Edited by Stephenm52 (03/07/19 08:40 AM)

#467152 - 03/07/19 09:13 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Stephenm52]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Does he really not know why a peaceful retirement community doesn't want acts to go past 9pm with boom boom boom?
I'm glad I read this so if I move there ill pick a spot furthest from performing areas. Ill walk there if I want to see it.

Edited by sparky589 (03/07/19 09:15 AM)

#467160 - 03/07/19 10:40 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Uncle Dave]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
I admire his energy, and knowing his own strength, but there is no amount of money that would make that type of show appeal to me. (as a performer)

You beat me to it-+1

#467170 - 03/07/19 03:02 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: sparky589]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By sparky589
Does he really not know why a peaceful retirement community doesn't want acts to go past 9pm with boom boom boom?
I'm glad I read this so if I move there ill pick a spot furthest from performing areas. Ill walk there if I want to see it.

The good news is there’s really no homes close by that would be affected by the boom, boom.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online