SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#46957 - 01/18/03 08:54 PM Burning a CD from the 7000
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hello again all my Forum friends! Way back on January 6th, I posted a question about how to burn a CD from the 7000. (You can check it out below, if you wish.) I got several very constructive responses and wanted to follow up on my success. Here is what I did: I installed the audio CD included in the 7000 package on my laptop computer, attached a USB cable between my keyboard and laptop and, lo and behold, after Easy Recording my songs(s) into the 7000, I was able to transfer them, without problem, into the computer and then quickly burn them onto the CD. Took hardly any time at all and my audio CDs now play in any regular CD player. However, I did encounter one problem that perhaps someone can solve and that is, does anyone know how to raise the recording-level volume while saving the file to the computer? While the CDs I burned are great, I have to turn the volume on my CD player to its highest level to hear the recording(s), and even that highest level isn't very loud. Anyway, I wanted you to know that recording on a CD from the 7000 is an easy task, even for a dumbhead like me! Hope all the 7000 owners are having as wonderful a time as I am with this fabulous new keyboard; my wife is even impressed at how much more professional I have become since it arrived. I dare not tell her I am still the same amateur but the 7000 makes me sound better than ever!! Why disillusion her?!

Cheers to you all!

Ted

#46958 - 01/19/03 12:53 AM Re: Burning a CD from the 7000
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Ted,
the 'problem' could have different causes. I think it's the windows-setting for your soundcard in your computer computer.
The audio-recorder from Technics is the most basic-program they gave us . There are no setting-features in it. I don't know what version of Windows you have, but I advise you to use for instand the windows-recorder. (or another 'free' audio-recorder). With these programs you can easier change the sound-input and output settings.
P.S. even you could 'recover' your original waves with mostly of these programs to a higher lever of sound.
Succes, greetings
Cees

#46959 - 01/19/03 08:29 AM Re: Burning a CD from the 7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Ted, Congratulations on getting the KN to CD operation working. With regard to your lack of volume, I experienced the same problem when I carried out the operation. After trying several approachs to try to increase the recording level, including using the Windows Sound Recorder, I gave up. What I do now is to record the KN via USB using a Sound Editor program called Goldwave. After recording,and while the file is still in the editor memory, I can increase the volume to any level I wish, before saving the file and transferring to CD. The process of increasing the volume, does not add any noise to the recording, since it is in digital format.
The Goldwave editor is a Shareware program which is free to download but has minor restrictions in it's use. It can be registered for a modest fee and you are then supplied with a password to fully enable the program. There are many sound editors available on the web, some of which are free.

examples : http://audacity.sourceforge.net/windows.php?lang=en
http://www.winsoft98.com/programs/sep12.exe

I chose Goldwave because I am in the process of transferring a large collection of vinyl LPs to CD and found it provided all the facilities which I required. http://www.goldwave.com/

You could of course record the file as you are doing at present, save it and then open it in the Sound Editor to increase the volume.
Incidentally, if you are playing a file from the sequencer to the recording program, the Main volume control has no effect on the signal to the recorder - only the Sequencer volume affects the level, so it is best to keep this at maximum and you can adjust the main volume to your liking.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#46960 - 01/19/03 12:14 PM Re: Burning a CD from the 7000
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hendershot:
I plug headsets in the KN7000 (to turn off the speakers) and crank up the volume on the keyboard to almost maximum to do the recording. That seems to be the only way I can get enough volume from the little recorder software that comes with the KN7000.

There is no need to plug headphones into the headphone socket to mute the speakers, and the main volume has no effect on the USB level at all.
Just maximise the levels in the screen.
I don't know where Alec has got to these day's but these are all questions that he has previously addressed. I know because I have saved them both from the 7K and the 65K.
It baffles me how these things keep going round in circles. It is not as though we are all new to the forum

#46961 - 01/19/03 03:39 PM Re: Burning a CD from the 7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Some of us are getting on in years and our memories are not as good as they used to be.
I did mention the volume settings, at the foot of my earlier post.

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 01-19-2003).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#46962 - 01/19/03 06:25 PM Re: Burning a CD from the 7000
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Boy! I sure am having a lot of "Senior Moments" lately. Willum and Johnnie C are absolutely right. It was when I was experimenting with the Phillips digital recorder to compare CD results that I needed higher keyboard volume for the Phillips recorder. Thanks to both of you. I deleted the dumb post so as not to confuse anyone.

#46963 - 01/19/03 09:09 PM Re: Burning a CD from the 7000
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Thanks a million to all of you who responded here and especially to Willum (Bill Norrie) for the useful links provided. I never cease to be amazed at the expertise you all share and how willing you are to share with those of us less knowledgeable! Indeed, as the saying goes: "Music hath charms..." but I have to add that the Forum members have greater charms as they share their sparkling advice and suggestions

Cheers and thanks again to all of you!

Ted

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online