SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#47220 - 07/05/03 10:43 AM cst and ast files
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
I have a PR804, it can load files from the KN6000, 6500 and 7000. Going to other KN websites there are some files that I downloaded. I came across two extensions that I'm not familiar with and hope someone can explain what *.cst and *.ast files are. Thanks. Anthony

#47221 - 07/05/03 11:09 AM Re: cst and ast files
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI ANTHONY
IN the KN Keyboards the .ast is a custom file that has 20 styles and is loaded in flash memory. This will replace any custom files already in your keyboard so back up the ones already there.
The .cst is a file that has only one Custom file to be loaded in the flash memory.
Bebop

#47222 - 07/05/03 02:49 PM Re: cst and ast files
AnthonyCian Offline

Looks like the KN7000 has a feature to save styles in a user style area. The PR804 doesn't have this feature. The 804 does have built in styles, but it's not able to save them to a user style storage area, stuck with just what Technics gives ya. If I like a style and/or modify it, I have to save it the old fashion way, panel memory.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Anthony

#47223 - 07/05/03 11:13 PM Re: cst and ast files
bassclef Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hi Anthony
First off, let me say how pleased I was to see your earlies postings a few weeks back. I play an 804 and over several months of regular monitoring of this forum, you are the one and only other 804 player that has surfaced.
Regarding the .cst and .ast files for the KN7000, you will not be able to load those direct into the 804.
However, if you have access to a KN7000 or a friendly and helpful KN7000 owner/player (and I am told, that is the only kind there is) there is a way of getting those styles into the 804.
1. Load the .ast files into the KN's Custom Style Memory.
2. Copy styles one by one (maximum of three) from the Custom Style Memory into the Composer Memory.
3. Save the contents of the Composer Memory to a floppy.
4. You can load from the floppy into the 804's Composer Memory.

You will find that most of the KN7000 styles reproduce faithfully in the 804, the exception being those styles which contain sounds native to the KN7000 only.
Hope you find the above helpful.
Regards,
George

#47224 - 07/10/03 06:25 PM Re: cst and ast files
AnthonyCian Offline

Hi George.

Thanks for the tip, sorry I didn't get a chance to reply sooner, just checked the forum today.

How do you like your PR804? I'm not having much luck with mine. My first one had major problems which the dealer replaced it with another 804. However this one has a power problem. Both motherboard and power supply has been changed out with no luck. I'm in the process of getting another 804.

Is the PR804 your first model?

Nothing against owners of PR models but I think they are the shy type. Never see that many posts from them. The posts we see for the KN is due to it being the most popular model, mainly due to affordability compared to the PR models. Did wish more PR owners would come out of there shell and post some posts.

Anthony

#47225 - 07/11/03 09:51 AM Re: cst and ast files
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Anthony and George, good to see you both posting here. I am fortunate in that I have a dealer that lets me play with all the keyboards in his store, new and used, and I go over all new models with him to see what might be different from previous models. One main reason for the abundance of keyboards over the PR's is portability. Try to carry your PR around from room to room and you get my drift. The other reason is the composer and sequencer features found on the keyboards is much better than the PR's. I have recorded with both units and I don't care for the feel of loaded keys, but many piano players prefer the heavy feel when they switch to electronics. Plus, I don't have the space I used to have before retirement and the PR's take up a tad more floor space. See, it's all a matter of personal preference and has nothing to do with status. You might be able to get bothersome problems answered by visiting this forum on a regular basis, and maybe even find other PR players who were just checking this space out. And still, by reading this forum on a daily basis, you may decide to go with a keyboard the next time you get itchy fingers! You won't regret it.

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 07-11-2003).]

#47226 - 07/14/03 12:44 AM Re: cst and ast files
bassclef Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hi Anthony,

Wow, what a horror story! Sorry to hear about your problems, must be terribly disappointing. Hope the dealer will sort it out for you; I think the 804 is great, I'm very happy with it, in spite of a few shortcomings. (The "perfect" instrument hasn't yet been invented). It has great sounds and styles to suit the type of music (light popular) I enjoy.
I had a Technics keyboard a few years back which was replaced by a Roland digital piano which, in turn was followed by the 804 in October last year. It is my first Technics digital ensemble. I also have a Roland VA7 keyboard, to eliminate the 804's portability problems.

Hope that Bebop's initiative will result in a few more PR players becoming active on this forum.

Hi Bud,

Thank you for your kind words, I've certainly found the majority of the posts interesting and most informative.

You are right, trying to fit the 804 into the car is absolute murder!

Regards,
George

#47227 - 07/14/03 08:30 AM Re: cst and ast files
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Bud & George re: Portability,
Just get out the saw. Years ago I hacked a Hammond spinet into pieces so that I could get it into my old VW Beetle. Wasn't easy but I hauled it around and played it for years (it looked horrible)!
Walt

#47228 - 07/16/03 12:47 PM Re: cst and ast files
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Walt, now that's dedication!

#47229 - 07/16/03 01:55 PM Re: cst and ast files
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Bud,
My wife called it "Idiocy". But I had fun.
Walt

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online