SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#482219 - 11/27/19 07:50 PM rhythmic anticipation
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
I have posted a question concerning drum fills and rhythmic anticipation on PSR Tutorial and seems no one the seems to understand what I'm talking about. Maybe some of the real jazzers here can help me. How do you insure you're not destroying the anticipations?

#482220 - 11/27/19 08:04 PM Re: rhythmic anticipation [Re: ekurburski]
Dnj Offline

confused1

#482222 - 11/27/19 08:36 PM Re: rhythmic anticipation [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I think further explanation of what you're asking - how it relates to playing - is necessary.

#482224 - 11/27/19 08:53 PM Re: rhythmic anticipation [Re: ekurburski]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By ekurburski
How do you insure you're not destroying the anticipations?

If I understand you correctly, I think the anticipation of hitting the fill button is different for each brand of keyboard. In general, Korg is a bit more sensitive than others, but can easily be learned. Yamaha seems more forgiving, allowing the user to hit the button close to any of the beats in a measure. Many will trigger a fill on beat 3, or 4 of a 4/4 measure, or beat 2, or 3 of a 3/4 measure. Sometimes, there's a sweet-spot for the hit, but mostly, you can punch the button anywhere in the measure you want the fill to live in.

Is this what you're asking? Did I make any sense?

#482225 - 11/27/19 09:00 PM Re: rhythmic anticipation [Re: ekurburski]
Gerry M Offline

Loc: Sahuarita Arizona
I think Rhythmic anticipation is another word for syncopation. The notes are played before of after a beat, mostly after a beat. A drum fill could do the same thing. You anticipate a note being played right on the beat, but it occurs later. Anyway my interpretation. I may be totally wrong.

Gerry

#482226 - 11/27/19 09:19 PM Re: rhythmic anticipation [Re: Gerry M]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Well, it looks like I got everyone confused including myself! I think Uncle Dave may have come closest to an answer. So let me try again. Big Band arrangement.
Melody line____________|
.................... ..... ......... |Next line______
.. ...... ......... drum fill___|

The line between lines and fills can't be stepped on o it will sound raggedy. UnfortuntALY the next line actually starts before the line due to anticipation so the melody line and the fillk must end b4 the anticipation starts.

Hopefully thats closer to what I'm trying to figure out.

Edited by ekurburski (11/27/19 09:27 PM)

#482228 - 11/27/19 10:53 PM Re: rhythmic anticipation [Re: ekurburski]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
OK, I think I got you. You probably need to have simple fills that start on the last beat of the triggered measure, and if possible - have a cymbal, or other accent sound on the upbeat of the last beat of the fill. That may help guide the anticipation into the measure that starts the new section. Am I still on your wavelength?

#482229 - 11/27/19 10:57 PM Re: rhythmic anticipation [Re: ekurburski]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
One way to accomplish this would be to trigger the accent sound with a one-hit multipad controlled by a foot switch. Back in the day you might have needed two keyboards or an external module for this. But all of today's arrangers have plenty of polyphony. My $.02.

#482231 - 11/28/19 02:01 AM Re: rhythmic anticipation [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
How do you insure you're not destroying the anticipations?

If I understand you correctly, I think the anticipation of hitting the fill button is different for each brand of keyboard. In general, Korg is a bit more sensitive than others, but can easily be learned. Yamaha seems more forgiving, allowing the user to hit the button close to any of the beats in a measure. Many will trigger a fill on beat 3, or 4 of a 4/4 measure, or beat 2, or 3 of a 3/4 measure. Sometimes, there's a sweet-spot for the hit, but mostly, you can punch the button anywhere in the measure you want the fill to live in.

Is this what you're asking? Did I make any sense?

Hi Dave,
haven’t really been paying that much attention to the fills in the sx, but , do they they start on the first beat, irrespective of when you tap the button, or do they start on the next beat? I know with the korgs we could choose and set it, but don’t think it’s an option with Yamaha ?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#482232 - 11/28/19 05:05 AM Re: rhythmic anticipation [Re: ekurburski]
Dnj Offline

Well, it looks like I got everyone confused including myself! I think Uncle Dave may have come closest to an answer. So let me try again. Big Band arrangement.
Melody line____________|
.................... ..... ......... |Next line______
.. ...... ......... drum fill___|

The line between lines and fills can't be stepped on o it will sound raggedy. UnfortuntALY the next line actually starts before the line due to anticipation so the melody line and the fillk must end b4 the anticipation starts.

Hopefully thats closer to what I'm trying to figure out.

Here is another version of listening is worth a million words..
please record us a demo of what your talking about it would help a lot..instead everyone has to guess..??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online