SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#484406 - 12/17/19 04:32 PM Re: Playing in a memory card unit [Re: guitpic1]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
I never had any problems in those units although a guy did pull on a aide's pony tail once-no serious damage. I always did a heavy dose of sing-alongs which went over very well. Only had the problem of nobody supervising an activity once (this was not in memory care though). When they called me to come back I told them no and why. The AD guaranteed there would be an aide the next time if I came back and she kept her promise.

Gets your attention the first time you enter a unit and the door locks behind you, but you get used to it. Overall a good experience and some really nice people in these places-both the residents as well as some very committed employees who work with them.

#484413 - 12/17/19 05:28 PM Re: Playing in a memory care unit [Re: guitpic1]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By guitpic1

Iā€™m constantly amazed how responsive so many of the patients are...singing and some even remembering how to dance.
šŸ˜Š

And you will continue to be amazed ...
I've been playing at memory units for many years, and I still get amazed ... and I know what songs are going to be requested at different venues ...
Those of us who play them are blessed by the fact that we can rekindle memories for these people ... they will sing the lyrics to every song you play, but as you are packing up one might ask the same question 10 times in 5 minutes ...
Be thankful for the moments when you take them back to a happy place ...

#484418 - 12/17/19 05:51 PM Re: Playing in a memory card unit [Re: guitpic1]
zuki Offline

A play a lot of "both sides". I enjoy the Alz as much as the rehab side. I've only had a few episodes of the "sundowner" type, who never sit still. Always have to watch closely.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

#484444 - 12/18/19 02:49 AM Re: Playing in a memory card unit [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am not sure what the mental impairments are, but play every month for about fifteen ladies that are impaired enough to have to live in a group home.Some have speech impediments and try to talk to me about anything, but it is difficult to understand them, and quite disruptive at times. However, they so appreciate the music,an dance around like children. They just love me and my wife,and it is a small price to pay to bring a little joy to their lives.

It may be a no no for some entertainers, but,for them,I charge nothing, as they truly do not have any budget for entertainment.We are having a Christmas show Friday.

Edited by Bernie9 (12/18/19 02:51 AM)

#484452 - 12/18/19 07:01 AM Re: Playing in a memory card unit [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

It's all good Bernie you have a good heart.
I have performed many times "pro bono" for some nursing facilities and organizations thru the years also. And you never know who is in the audience that will ask you for a business card for something in the future for Big $$ gigs too. The heck with the nay sayers....
It makes the audiences feel good & Your inner soul also.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online