SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#48539 - 09/08/02 06:28 AM Lost emails
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Knowing that some forum members have recently experienced computer crashes of one sort or another, I thought that the following information may help reduce the severity of the problem, especially with respect to your email data.

Last week, a friend of mine asked if I would have a look at his PC which was 'acting up' quite a bit. After some investigation, it was decided that the best course of action was to re-install Windows (98SE). Luckily, he had the original discs of all programs, drivers etc so it was only necessary to back up his documents and other personal data. Then we came to Outlook Express with all his email messages, address book and so on. Whilst I know that there is basic provision for backing up and restoring the content of OE, it is a fiddley process and I seemed to remember that on one of the 'Free' discs, that come with my computer magazines, there was a program that took the tedium out of this task.
After 5 minutes searching I found it and it certainly does make things a lot easier. It does more than just back up and allow you to restore your email messages.
It automatically makes copies of all your email folders, Address book, Internet Explorer Favorites, Internet account details, Blocked sender list, Preferances, email rules (for email exclusions) etc. Any existing mail attachments are saved and restored with the folders. You can also select which folders are to be saved and/or restored. The data is saved in compressed format and the degree of compression is configurable by the user.
The program support versions 4, 5 and 6 of Outlook Express and the version is automatically detected.
In this instance, my friend's PC had a second Hard drive, so the backup was written there. However, it could just as easily be done over a home network or other direct connection, to another machine, say a desktop and a laptop machine. The program provides a synchronize function to match the contents of mail folders within Outlook Express with the mail saved in a backup file. It also has a function to allow routine backup of your email etc data, with a facility to automatically remind you to carry out the backup after X days. You can also back up to Floppy disc of course, but if the content of your email folder list is anything like mine, it would take about 70 floppies

I can strongly recommend this program.

It's Name ?? Express Assist 6.0 it is Shareware and can be downloaded from http://ajsystems.com/

Go Get it Boy ! You know it makes sense

Forgot to say - It also provides you with a complete log of all the files it has backed up.

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 09-08-2002).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#48540 - 09/08/02 09:09 AM Re: Lost emails
technicsplayer Offline

even simpler - partition, and change the relevant store locations to the partition. I do this and can bring back a completely fresh version of ghosted windows to C drive in a few minutes, and still have all my emails, favourites, my documents etc unchanged and intact.

#48541 - 09/08/02 10:10 AM Re: Lost emails
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Agreed, That's the way I do it on mine but what about the poor guys who haven't partioned properly - shame on them, but I'll bet there are a lot of them.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#48542 - 09/08/02 12:07 PM Re: Lost emails
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
With Windows ME you automatically get a partitioned hd (D) and just have to make a system restore checkpoint every few days. It's saved me a lot of work, but I also have System Commander to back me up now. After umpteen crashes, I finally learned my lesson.

#48543 - 09/08/02 04:20 PM Re: Lost emails
technicsplayer Offline

but if you've backed up the data, and have to install windows again, surely that is the perfect time to partition (if you don't have partition magic or similar)?

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online