SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#48859 - 10/29/06 07:45 AM What are your 5 Least Appealing Sounds?
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Hi Everyone!

Awhile back I asked to see what are the favorite Technics sounds. This post is the opposite and like to see what are the least sounds. These are all on the Technics Models, and only the default factory sounds.

Try to pick the least appealing sounds that you really wanted to use, but couldn't because it just didn't have the sound you were looking for. Below you will see my list which are popular sounds but I just didn't like them that much. Some because I just didn't use a particular technic that maybe required to get it just right.

Here I go:

PR900:
Bagpipe
Blues Harm
Mandolin
Brt Accordion
Pop Vocal Ah

PR804:
Bagpipe
Blues Harmonica
Mandolin
Ukulele
Choir Aah

I just never did get the hang of using the Bagpipe sound, and if I did then it wouldn't be on the list.

Thanks,

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AnthonyCian (edited 10-29-2006).]

#48860 - 11/04/06 12:18 PM Re: What are your 5 Least Appealing Sounds?
AnthonyCian Offline

What? No Takers!

Doesn't have to be 5, one or two will do.

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AnthonyCian (edited 11-04-2006).]

#48861 - 11/05/06 04:19 AM Re: What are your 5 Least Appealing Sounds?
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
Anthony,

When played correctly the Bag Pipe is very pretty. Bill Norrie has mastered it. Check his songs on CEE's.

Fran in SC

#48862 - 11/05/06 06:58 AM Re: What are your 5 Least Appealing Sounds?
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Anthony,

Apparently, it is sacrilegious to express a negative thought on the keyboards mentioned on this forum and especially, the KN7000. I caught hell for just making a criticism on ONE disk Technote put out. It caused one member's lack of sleep by being so upset. Anyway, Sir, I will speak only of the KN7000. I can't really state that any sounds are outright bad but many, to my use in music are not acceptable.

I will express my wishes for better sounds (or more choices) in the following:

Saxes - Although the Tenor Sax Soloist is a superb sound and my first choice for using it in solo work, I wish there were even a better Tenor Sax for solo work. There was an outstanding one in the KN1000 that was not used in later keyboards. I was disappointed when I had the KN6000, that it wasn't in the keyboard. Of course, the KN7000 is just a slight step-up from the KN6000 and that being mainly the SD card function and it wasn't added or even one better in that keyboard. So, more solo Saxes to choose from would be nice.

Trombones - Again, in the KN1000, they had a superb solo Trombone sound. I have not found a good Trombone solo sound in the KN7000. I have had to really tweak another horn sound to get a decent Trombone solo.

Guitars - I wish there were better guitars in general. I am not fully pleased with the Jazz Guitar sound. Trying to do a good country steel guitar isn't so easy. I prefer to use the Hawaiian guitar sound for country because it just sounds better. Let me just say that the Nashville Steel doesn't sound like a Nashville sound to me.

The aforementioned are just a few comments on what I wish were better in the KN7000. And for those forum members that have a peeve with me, I don't need to hear sarcasm like, "Well, maybe you should sell your KN7000 and buy a KN1000." Let me make it clear, I marvel every time I sit down to the KN7000. I feel very fortunate that I have it. All I am saying is that it would have been nice had the keyboard had more of the sounds mentioned to choose from.

Scott

#48863 - 11/05/06 02:41 PM Re: What are your 5 Least Appealing Sounds?
AnthonyCian Offline

Hi Fran:

Yes I have heard the bagpipe sound played correctly but I have trouble with it, so it does nothing for me.

Anthony

#48864 - 11/05/06 02:58 PM Re: What are your 5 Least Appealing Sounds?
AnthonyCian Offline

Hi Scott:

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes it can be tricky when negative thoughts are expressed here. Dislikes tend to hit certain people the wrong way and take it very very serious.

One very big argument about this topic, is that eventhough some default sounds may not be appealing, Technics does have the Sound Edit feature, so one can tweak the sounds to their liking. The trouble with that is, the Sound Edit feature can get complicated in itself.

The main thing I am trying to accomplish here is to generate more discussions, picking topics that are simple so all can give input if they want to.

It's interesting to see your picks. To me, some quitar sounds are so low in volumn it can be barely heard.

Sometimes I will test family members and close friends and will play a few Sounds and I ask them to guess what it is. It's really interesting what they say, some nailed it, and some were wrong, but is it their fault or the accuracy of the sound? You would be very surprised how many guess Guitar when I was playing the Piano Sound.

Glad you expressed your thoughts.

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AnthonyCian (edited 11-05-2006).]

#48865 - 11/05/06 03:56 PM Re: What are your 5 Least Appealing Sounds?
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Scott, I blend the Country Guitar with Hawaiian Guitar 2 to get the steel guitar effect. It has a little more sustain that way, (with Hawaiian Guitar in RH1 position), and is slightly better than nothing at all. I also seldom use Nashville steel. Too muddy of a sound without a lot of tweaking.

#48866 - 11/05/06 07:23 PM Re: What are your 5 Least Appealing Sounds?
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Anthony and to you, Bud -

You are welcome for my thoughts. I must say that Technics has done a superb job of creating digital sounds generally to their truest form. One in particular, which really isn't that important and has not been updated since the KN1000 is the applause sound. Good grief, it sounds like a loop with a space and then a repeat. It is NOT convincing. It seems they could have done a better job creating this sound.

Yes, sounds that do come across as muffled can be tweaked in SOUND EDIT and don't forget, you can also make a sound more brilliant in PART SETTING, page 4 by changing BRIGHTNESS.

One other section of sounds that I would like to have seen improved would be STRINGS. I get some very impressive sounds with strings through proper reverb. Still, I was hoping when the KN7000 came about, there would be even better strings. I see few, if any improvements over the KN6000.

Bud, it is always a pleasure to hear from you. You have been a very long time member of the forum. So have I but most don't know this. You and I were at the time of the KN6000 first forum. I dropped out for about two years before reregistering under the name I now have. Over the years, you have contributed so much to the old forum as well as this one. Your generosity has been at the highest level. May you continue with your generous efforts.

Scott

#48867 - 11/05/06 09:59 PM Re: What are your 5 Least Appealing Sounds?
AnthonyCian Offline

In the Special Effects sounds, there is a dog sound and even a bird sound, has anyone wondered what happened to the cat sound? Or did the dog... hmmmm maybe that's when the scream sound was heard.

Anthony

#48868 - 11/05/06 10:41 PM Re: What are your 5 Least Appealing Sounds?
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi,
5 least favourite sounds - a big ask. I certainly haven't tried to get the best out of every sound on the KN7000 and I doubt that too many others have either. I don't believe that it is sacrilege to be critical of some aspects of the KN7000. Overall it still does it for me better than any of its competitors, past and present.
The sounds that I found a little disappointing:
1. Soprano Soloist from the EW04 board (along with Female Ah Soloist and to a lesser extent Opera Tricks). On examining this voice using sound edit it appears not to be sampled from an opera singer at all, but is a compilation of 3 quite different sounds with very noticeable transition points.
2. Marcato strings. Despite trying to tweak these, I could not get the really crisp clean attack that I wanted.
3. Bandoneon. Certainly not Joe Ment.
4. Blues Harmonica doesn't quite do it for me either.
5. Zither. Can't get it to sound like Anton Caras.

I also believe that whilst I can generally get close to what I want from the guitar sounds, they are well and truly surpassed by some of those on the Tyros 2, but then it has the advantage of another 3 years development. Although I have heard the Tyros demonstrated by a number of fine musicians, I haven't had a decent go at it myself, and what I have heard certainly hasn't tempted me to exchange my KN7000.

Cheers
Len

[This message has been edited by manorcourt1991 (edited 11-05-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online