SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 12 13 14
Topic Options
#491658 - 03/15/20 08:19 PM Re: First 3 cancellations in one hour over Corona viru [Re: Crossover]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Crossover
Tagesschau is like NPR in the US. It is the top news broadcast in Germany, broadcast by the largest public-funded TV/radio network in Germany, and the most untypical medium imaginable for fake news. (Only the far-right hate it because this network tends to be politically correct).

(Only the far-right hate it because this network tends to be politically correct).

I have no idea as to the veracity of the story, but as I believe I said in an earlier, regardless of what side of the fence one is on "fake news" is that news that goes against one's leanings or beliefs ...

#491660 - 03/15/20 09:36 PM Re: First 3 cancellations in one hour over Corona viru [Re: tony mads usa]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By Crossover
Tagesschau is like NPR in the US. It is the top news broadcast in Germany, broadcast by the largest public-funded TV/radio network in Germany, and the most untypical medium imaginable for fake news. (Only the far-right hate it because this network tends to be politically correct).

(Only the far-right hate it because this network tends to be politically correct).

I have no idea as to the veracity of the story, but as I believe I said in an earlier, regardless of what side of the fence one is on "fake news" is that news that goes against one's leanings or beliefs ...

I could not disagree more. Fake news has nothing to do with what one's leanings or beliefs are. It's got to do whether it is actually true or not.

I hear fake news on all sides. On CNN as well as FOX.

Also, neither the Democrats nor the Republicans have a monopoly on stupid.

Scott

#491666 - 03/16/20 03:10 AM Re: First 3 cancellations in one hour over Corona viru [Re: Scott Langholff]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hi Scott, your post is right to the point, thanks. I feel that they are all telling the truth, laced with lies; whichever fits their purpose. When I started sending political news to my family, they said that, that kind of news produces hate. They were right. No matter how good, or true it may seem, it has, for the most part, one purpose; and that is to hate the other guy; or frighten us, which means, attacking our learning and beleifs.

Tony says, “Fake news is that news which goes against one’s learnings and beliefs”.
I feel that fake news places us in a position of how are we to handle this fake news ---- without becoming like them.

Tony, would you expand on your statement, I think that it is needed in times like these?
John C.

#491669 - 03/16/20 03:46 AM Re: First 3 cancellations in one hour over Corona viru [Re: Scott Langholff]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Read the news and information from a dozen different sources, (Whether you believe or support them or not) then look for all the common points and lay them out, the odds are you will then have the accurate information that you can rely on. (By law they cannot lie, but can put it in such a way that it appears to mean something different, putting all the commonality’s together gets round this)

Bill

#491680 - 03/16/20 06:43 AM Re: First 3 cancellations in one hour over Corona viru [Re: bruno123]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Scott Langholff

I could not disagree more. Fake news has nothing to do with what one's leanings or beliefs are. It's got to do whether it is actually true or not.
I hear fake news on all sides. On CNN as well as FOX.
Also, neither the Democrats nor the Republicans have a monopoly on stupid.
Scott

Scott, I am basically in agreement with you ... I did not say one station has fake news, the other has not ... In an earlier post I even stated that I don't trust any of them, because they all have their own agenda ...

Originally Posted By bruno123

Tony says, “Fake news is that news which goes against one’s learnings and beliefs”.
I feel that fake news places us in a position of how are we to handle this fake news ---- without becoming like them.
Tony, would you expand on your statement, I think that it is needed in times like these?
John C.

John, first a slight correction - I said "leanings" not "learnings" ...

I think I explained part of it in my response to Scott, but to add, all too often I will hear "I don't watch 'XXX' (fill in any news station) because that's all fake news ... In fact, in a recent post someone said about FOX 'it's 90% fake news' ... So it may be too broad a generalization, but I think people watch certain news stations because the news is going to be presented in a way that tracks their beliefs ...
Too bad we can't go back to when news was news, and not sensationalism ...

#491691 - 03/16/20 08:38 AM Re: First 3 cancellations in one hour over Corona viru [Re: Scott Langholff]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
yeh, let's go back to Walter Cronkite and his totally one sided liberal presentation or the outright lies about Bushes service in the National Guard. I agree with Scott, it comes from both sides. My daddy told me years ago to "not believe everything you read". It's unfortunate that we've gotten to the point that we can't believe anything we read!

#491692 - 03/16/20 09:09 AM Re: First 3 cancellations in one hour over Corona viru [Re: Scott Langholff]
Crossover Offline

Unfortunately, some people don't understand what exponential growth is. The proliferation of bacteria, infections with a virus and many processes in nature happen with exponential growth. In the case of Corona, it is determined by the factor that one infected person usually infects 3 others.

European countries have observed that every three days the number of infected people is doubling. The growth is slow in the beginning, and from a certain point on it explodes.

If one is optimistic and supposes that numbers only double once a week in the US AND forget about the massive dark figure, you'd end up here:

March 16: 4,000
March 23: 8,000
March 30: 16,000
April 07: 32,000
April 14: 64,000
April 21: 128,000
April 28: 256,000
May 05: 512,000
May 12: 1 million
May 19: 2m
May 26: 4m
June 2: 8m
June 9: 16m
June 16: 32m
June 23: 64m
June 30: 128m
July 7: 256m.

That was a very optimistic scenario for the case that no restrictions are put in place.

#491732 - 03/16/20 02:03 PM Re: First 3 cancellations in one hour over Corona viru [Re: tony mads usa]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

I think people watch certain news stations because the news is going to be presented in a way that tracks their beliefs ...
Too bad we can't go back to when news was news, and not sensationalism ...

Spot on Tony, don’t think we’d have anywhere near the hysteria if the news was reported accurately.

Our chief medical officer tells us to do one thing, our left leaning national broadcaster finds a doctor of their own and starts disputing some of the advice.

Know who I’m listening too, and it ain’t the sensationalising news channel, with its armchair presenters giving medical advice as to what we should or shouldn’t be doing.

Edited by rikkisbears (03/16/20 02:07 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#491743 - 03/16/20 04:04 PM Re: First 3 cancellations in one hour over Corona viru [Re: Scott Langholff]
124 Offline

Don't need to listen to any news outlet. Stick with official announcements from Provincial/State/National health authorities.

#491770 - 03/17/20 02:42 AM Re: First 3 cancellations in one hour over Corona viru [Re: Scott Langholff]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 12 13 14

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online