SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#49333 - 02/20/06 04:15 PM Is it possible to?
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Is there a way to extract a percussion sound from a drum kit and saving it in the sound memory as an individual sound?

For example, I like to have the percussion sound "Finger Snap" saved as an individual sound in the sound memory. Is it possible? If so, how?

KN6000to7000

Anthony

#49334 - 02/21/06 07:05 AM Re: Is it possible to?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Anthony,

Sure it's possible ! The following procedure should do the job and this method will work with any of the percussion sounds.
There may be other ways of achieving your desired result.

1. Select Piano in RT1 as a basic sound to edit and turn off RT2 and Left.
2. Press Program Menus > Sound Edit >Tone.
3. In the Tone Select screen, press the button to the left of 2nd and turn off the 2nd sample component of the sound.
4. Select the 1st sample component - second from top button to the left of the screen.
5. Using the upper of the two arrow buttons below the Group column, scroll through the letters to change 'A' to 'S'
6. Use the upper of the two arrow buttons below the Tone Name column to change Tambourine to Finger Snap (17 steps).
7. Press the keys on the keyboard and you should now hear the Finger Snap sound. Note that the pitch of the sound is related to the key position. This may not be the desired effect. You can also adjust the Volume level of the sound if you wish - use the Arrow buttons below the Level column.
8. Press EXIT once to view the Sound Edit Menu screen and then press the Pitch button.
9. In the Key Shift & Detune table, press the Upper of the two arrow buttons, below the Tone Scale column, to change 'NORM' to 'FIX' (7 steps)
10. The Finger Snap sound pitch should now remain constant, irrespective of which key is pressed.
11. Press EXIT once to view the Sound Edit Menu screen and then press the Write button.
12. Press the Sound Naming button, give the 'new' sound a suitable name then press OK.
13. Use the arrow buttons to select a suitable Sound Memory location then press OK.
14. The Finger Snap sound should now be available in Sound Memory.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#49335 - 02/21/06 04:37 PM Re: Is it possible to?
AnthonyCian Offline

WOW Willum:
Thank You!

I tried everything I could think of. But I was misleading myself trying to extract the finger snap from the drum kit. Didn't think of just going to the sound source as explained your steps.

I will let you know how I did. And thanks for the step by step.

Anthony

#49336 - 02/22/06 10:10 AM Re: Is it possible to?
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Anthony, the Tone List is in the back of the KN7000 Reference Book somewhere around page 30. If you look in the "S" column, you'll see what Bill is talking about. The built in editors will let you accomplish quite a few things on your keyboard and your imagination is the only barrier. Experiment with the built in sounds.....you can't hurt anything but your ears.

#49337 - 02/22/06 10:37 AM Re: Is it possible to?
technicsplayer Offline

I really don't see the point in using the whole keyboard for the same finger snap sound. I would map it to the top couple of notes allowing a normal voice for the rest of right hand play and easy triggering during live play. Or do as I do and map it just above the top note of the specific tune you are playing so you can trigger anytime with the little finger of the right hand while playing another instrument at the same time. The alternative would be to just put it in a pad.

#49338 - 02/22/06 03:23 PM Re: Is it possible to?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Anthony asked if it was possible to create the sound in Sound Memory and I posted a method of doing this. How he uses the edited sound is up to him.
However, since the sound he wanted was a finger snap, it seemed probable that he wished to use this sound within a style, adding it for instance as a sound on beats 2 and 4 - a common addition to a 'swinger' type style. If this is the case, then whether or not it is mapped to the entire keyboard is irrelevant.
The reason I suggested mapping it to the entire keyboard is that the finger snap only sounds realistic over a very limited number of keys and if it is to be used in an edited style, it would not matter which key was assigned to the finger snap event in the style.
Of course, as suggested, the sound could equally be assigned to a Performance Pad to provide either a single event or a looped sound.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#49339 - 02/22/06 03:43 PM Re: Is it possible to?
technicsplayer Offline

I still don't see the point. You don't need it across the keyboard if you want to program a style either, why use up an entire accompaniment track just for a finger snap? Put it in a single unused drum note and alter the style by playing in live or by step record normally.

#49340 - 02/22/06 03:46 PM Re: Is it possible to?
AnthonyCian Offline

Hi Bud:
Thanks for the info. Long time no hear, how's everything going?

Willum:
I really appreciate the step by step instructions, before I didn't know if this was possible, and now I know it is. Also, I'm sure this information was helpful to others who monitor this forum. Thanks again!

Technicsplayer:
Some percussion sounds may not be practical to edit and finger snap maybe one of those. But I did like to know if it was possible, and it was driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

Anthony

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online