SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#498365 - 06/09/20 11:57 AM Been asked back, BUT....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The club re-opened. I've been there for over 8 years, 5 nights a week. They have asked me to come back, outside on a patio, with a cover.

I told them I'm out for the balance of the year, due to age, medical issues and the virus.

I may be done for good. I'll keep my recording schedule (100 hours a month as a "hired gun"; 100 hours on my own video productions), but, while I didn't plan things this way, I always wanted to stop before I embarrassed myself.

I guess 9 weeks off (at least 4 nights a week) in 63 years ain't bad. I just wanted to go until my 65th year.

So glad I got the chance to do what I love for that long.
I've got a lot to think about.

Be well, all.

Russ (one foot out the door) Lay

P.S. haven't figured out about the work I do with the local Philharmonic. That will be a decision for after the fall, to see if there is an uptick in the virus infections.

Edited by captain Russ (06/09/20 12:28 PM)

#498384 - 06/09/20 01:20 PM Re: Been asked back, BUT.... [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Good luck Russ whatever you decide to do.

#498401 - 06/09/20 04:02 PM Re: Been asked back, BUT.... [Re: captain Russ]
hammer Online   content

Loc: Texas
Russ,
I am exactly thinking the same as you. I did not realize how much my self-imposed schedule has messed with my life. It has been absolutely awesome to have nothing to do and all day to do it. All my jobs are in senior venues and I am not anxious to return to them at all. Here in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area the traffic has gotten so bad it absolutely ruins the pleasure of going to and returning from jobs. Somewhere I read the DFW area now has more people than the entire population of 40 other states! The stress of driving in this traffic is just not worth it to me anymore. I don't expect the places to allow entertainers In for another 6 or 8 months anyway.

Deane

#498402 - 06/09/20 06:05 PM Re: Been asked back, BUT.... [Re: hammer]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By hammer
Russ,
I did not realize how much my self-imposed schedule has messed with my life. It has been absolutely awesome to have nothing to do and all day to do it. .....

When someone feels this way about ANY occupation, it is time to get out !!!

And this just adds more reason to do so ...
Originally Posted By hammer
Here in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area the traffic has gotten so bad it absolutely ruins the pleasure of going to and returning from jobs.....

The stress of driving in this traffic is just not worth it to me anymore.
Deane

Russ and Deane,Best of luck with your decisions ...

#498414 - 06/09/20 11:11 PM Re: Been asked back, BUT.... [Re: captain Russ]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Whatever you decide, be careful out there! I heard about a COVID-19 outbreak blowing up in Arizona just in the past 2-3 days. IMO outdoors is a must, with plenty of physical distancing. Fifteen feet is good, 25 is better! I would personally have real concerns with anything indoors / enclosed space.

#498415 - 06/10/20 01:48 AM Re: Been asked back, BUT.... [Re: captain Russ]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I feel the same way. The NH's are out,and the only performances I would do is outside or a very large room with relatively few people. I am not not going to endanger my life,especially when I don't have to to get by.

#498433 - 06/10/20 09:19 AM Re: Been asked back, BUT.... [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
As I have stated many times in the past, there comes a time when you must stop and smell the roses, at least before someone is placing them on your casket. Though I do miss being an onstage entertainer, after nearly 3 years of doing pretty much nothing I'm beginning to enjoy being lazy. I only turn on the keyboard about once a week now, but when I do, I enjoy playing and trying to learn new songs. So I guess music is still a big part of my life.

Good luck, Russ and Deane,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#498437 - 06/10/20 09:43 AM Re: Been asked back, BUT.... [Re: captain Russ]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
IT'S NOT JUST THAT GUYS, it's every facet of simple life..I personally don't want to expose myself...I have 3 gym memberships and well, I am done working out in public gyms..I'm 58 & well you know...

Until they figure this out, I just don't want to go anywhere unnecessarily.

Man life has changed...

#498459 - 06/10/20 01:31 PM Re: Been asked back, BUT.... [Re: captain Russ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Russ
I wish i had yor dilemma. steady gig at a nice club where I'm sure your treated very well and have a lot of friends/customers.. I've played two gigs recently and enjoyed them both. Both outside (with cover) but the setting up, the heat, tearing down, the heat, made it a bit of work. But I still like it and would love to get something like the CC your at.
Nothing steady like that here. One nighters dominated by guitar strummers.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online