SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#54057 - 01/24/02 12:01 AM Upgrade to WinXP-home
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
Has anyone had any problems upgrading from Win98 to WinXP-home with any of the music applications - or any application for that matter.

Thanks,

Larry Gosmeyer

#54058 - 01/24/02 01:09 AM Re: Upgrade to WinXP-home
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Larry: I didn't actually upgrade my computer from Win98 to WinXPhome, but instead, purchased a 'new' computer with XP Home pre-installed, keeping my older computer with Win98 as well.

I'm successfully running XP home, all my regular apps (Photoshop, Easy CD Creator, etc) as well as music programs (Cakewalk Sonar XL, SoundForge, EMC StyleWorks Universal, Band in A Box, Yamaha PSR: StyleEdit, CasMEdit) and experiencing no problems whatsoevever. In fact, everything appears to be running FASTER and ROCK SOLID (no crashes, freeezes, or hangups). The only music programs I can't run on XP is a 3rd party Technics KN5000 hard drive backup program (TechMgr5000) and Yamaha XGWorks, which I hear will be updated soon to run on XP. I highly recommend XP (home or Professional) to everyone for music production. You will need to have at least 128 mg RAM to run it though (unfortunately the XP is a memory HOG). I recommend 256 or MORE - memory's cheap now anyway. I myself went for 512 and glad I did. You will see a marked speed increase especially in audio work, and the the new WDM (windows media drivers) have real LOW latency. Being a longtime Mac devotee using Logic Audio, I was previously rather skeptical of even considering the PC for serious professional music production, but With Windows XP and the latest version of Cakewalk Sonar XL, the PC has finally matched the MAC, even for professional top studio quality music production (and at a much cheaper price to boot).
- Scott http://scottyee

#54059 - 01/24/02 02:21 AM Re: Upgrade to WinXP-home
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by larry gosmeyer:
Has anyone had any problems upgrading from Win98 to WinXP-home with any of the music applications - or any application for that matter.

Thanks,

Larry Gosmeyer

Hi Larry
the problem at the moment as far as I see it is that the updates for drivers in some applications are slow in becoming available
I.E.soft synths & soundcards but otherwise it seems a good improvment over 98/ME
Regards Johnnie

#54060 - 01/24/02 03:28 AM Re: Upgrade to WinXP-home
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
WINXP.....Softsynths Yamaha XG50 & Roland VCS88. Yamaha XG Works Sequencer will not run or for that matter load into Windows XP.
If you are happy with the way your PC is performing and runs all the software you require at the moment. I suggest you leave well alone, unless you are intent on making Bill Gates even richer.

Graham UK

#54061 - 01/24/02 05:31 AM Re: Upgrade to WinXP-home
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Like Graham says, any new operating system requires updates for drivers etc. A colleague has just installed XP and was having great difficulty even getting on the net (problems with the modem)updates were downloaded but not totally successful.
He was so ***** off, he finished up buying a new modem. I'm sure it will become the standard OS, but let them sort the bugs out first.

#54062 - 01/24/02 06:12 AM Re: Upgrade to WinXP-home
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Larry, I wouldn't touch XP with a very long Barge Pole ! We changed all our PCs at work to use XP and had nothing but trouble with them. Eventually, we changed all of them back to Win 98SE and had no trouble since. I might add that all of them were of sufficient spec to accept XP. I've just ordered a new Laptop, which would normally have been delivered with XP but have asked that it be supplied with 98SE.
Unless you have a very good reason to 'Upgrade' to XP - why not stay with 98.

In short - if it 'aint broke - don't fix it !

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#54063 - 01/24/02 06:34 AM Re: Upgrade to WinXP-home
Scottyee Offline

Hi John,

Yes, when I initally purchased my XP OS installed computer (Dec 2001), I too was VERY concerned about potential XP software compatibility issues. I even made sure to have Windows 98 installed as a backup on my older computer.

My initial worries turned out to be unwarranted though (at least for me), because all of my software (which includes the latest drivers) is working even 'better' on XP than Windows 98. Perhaps it's because Windows XP has been out since Fall 2001, so most of the software out there now (finally) has been optimized for Windows XP. Anyway, I'm glad I took the risk of moving to Windows XP. I definitely notice a huge performance difference. Just my opinion.

- Scott

PS: I have'nt once needed to fall back on the Windows 98 OS system.

#54064 - 01/24/02 06:42 AM Re: Upgrade to WinXP-home
Scottyee Offline

Quick Followup:
Maybe I'm not having problems with Windows XP because I didn't actually 'UPGRADE' from Windows 98, but instead started with a new computer which came with XP pre-installed. As Bill, Graham, & John mentioned, if Windows 98 is working well for you now, perhaps it might be better to stay with what you got and save your $ . . . Bill Gates is already rich enough. The ONLY reason I'm running XP is because my new computer CAME with XP. - Scott

#54065 - 01/24/02 09:03 PM Re: Upgrade to WinXP-home
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Upgrading from one OS version to another has ALWAYS been fraught with hazards and has never been recommended. While it is tedious to reinstall all your apps again under a new install it will save many future headaches. Don't upgrade just reinstall or get a new system and transfer your important files from your old system. While upgrading OS sounds attractive it just never works properly.

#54066 - 01/25/02 09:09 AM Re: Upgrade to WinXP-home
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
Thanks all for the savy info. I've decided to buy a new one instead of upgrading.

Has anyone bought a new one and is using it OK with "The Sims"? My wife wants to know.

Thanks again.

Larry

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online