SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#56243 - 10/10/02 03:27 AM Re: Some Thoughts On The KN7000 SD Card
technicsplayer Offline

Bob, sorry, you did misunderstand, I'm not using the floppy drive.
quote "the easiest way to convert to 7k format is to drag to and from song manager, taking out non-used file types options."

drag 5k format to 7k and back in song manager and you have 7k format on the computer without having loaded or saved anything with the floppy, and you have automatically cut down the unused sub-files too. Then you can easily arrange 20 files to a floppy in the folder order you want completely avoiding the need for any copy and delete operations on the 7k itself. All far easier than going through load and save physically on the 7k.

because I edited the file names the only operation I needed with the floppy is the entire disk copy, which goes surprisingly quickly in 7k format anyway.

I did hundereds of disks on the 8 MB card, backing up, formatting, then starting again with new files. Then I compound merged all the 8 MB backups into the folder order I wanted on a large card using song manager. Thus I knew what size of card was needed to accomodate my entire technics archive before I bought it.

#56244 - 10/10/02 03:44 AM Re: Some Thoughts On The KN7000 SD Card
technicsplayer Offline

Bill, in the card reader follow Private\Technics\KN7000.

if you copy entire floppies you can see the 6 character names, and the space for the 16 character names, thus you can rename everything very easily on the computer providing you do not shift an extra space which will put ALL the following names out of the display.

I do not want to encourage people to fiddle here if they are going to have all their folders disappear from view in the 7k display with one false click. Therefore *** B A C K U P *** before you fiddle. A hex editor is safest.

If I had time I would dig out Visual Basic (groan!) and have a go at a windows interface to make it easy for people, but am commissioned on other projects at the moment so will not have time before Xmas.

I have dragged folders to the card which the 7k can read as long as the correct data blocks in the inf file are filled in. However there are space calculation factors which depend on SD spec, so I just sent the info and suggestions to technics to see what turns up.

Again, don't blame me if anyone fiddles and then can no longer see the folder contents they spent hours creating...

#56245 - 10/10/02 03:57 AM Re: Some Thoughts On The KN7000 SD Card
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Thanks Alec

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#56246 - 10/10/02 07:58 AM Re: Some Thoughts On The KN7000 SD Card
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Alec, I think I finally figured out our disconnect. Your comments assume that I am working with KN6000+ files and I started this thread assuming the KN5000. I am quite certain that the Song Manager cannot be used to drag and drop a KN5000 file from the computer to the KN7000. At least I have never been able to make it work. It works fine for KN6000 files. I believe that KN5000 owners must move the file to the KN7000 via floppy disk copy or load. Then after the file is in KN7000 format they can use the Song Manager. If you have some KN5000 stuff handy give it a try and let us know. Let me know if you need me to send some KN5000 stuff to you.

#56247 - 10/10/02 10:59 AM Re: Some Thoughts On The KN7000 SD Card
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Bob, no I've dragged both 5000 and 3000 original files to the 7k in song manager, and naturally they come back as 7k format once they've been loaded into the panel.

#56248 - 10/10/02 01:10 PM Re: Some Thoughts On The KN7000 SD Card
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
If I live long enough I may figure this all out. I went back into my old original floppy disks and tried to drag and drop a KN5000 format file with the Song Manager. It worked! Then I went to the KN5000, loaded a file from the hard disk and then saved it to a floppy disk. Tried it with the Song Manager and it also worked! But, the files that I want to transfer are the backup files from my hard disk that are now on CD. There is something unique about those files that prevent them from working with the Song Manager although they work fine when copied to a floppy and then loaded into the KN7000. If I try to use the Song Manager with any of my hard disk back up files, I get an error report that says “Error – Use transmission from the HOME PAGE”. Once I get that error I have to turn off the KN7000 and restart before any Song Manager functions work again. I don’t know if it’s worth more study or not. I’m about a third of the way through the transfer to the KN7000 using floppies for the transfer. It would have been so much easier if the USB interface worked like my cameras.

[This message has been edited by Bob Hendershot (edited 10-10-2002).]

#56249 - 10/10/02 02:23 PM Re: Some Thoughts On The KN7000 SD Card
technicsplayer Offline

Can't say I've had any problems with my backup files from sx hard drive apart from the obvious one that those starting with directory 00 prefix needed mass re-naming to be seen in song manager. Once in the song manager window all types transfer fine, even those from cd.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online