SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57733 - 07/17/02 04:18 PM Purpose of This Forum
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
I have always enjoyed having a Forum to talk with others about my Technics keyboard. It's a great place to get help. Alec and others have been a great source of info.

It's nice also that people want to share their songs with others. I don't understand why Bebop doesn't think the song exchanges should be announced herein the future, but only announced in email. I thought that was Forum members sharing with other Forum members?

I guess I don't see the purpose of the 'emails' either. It seems like a post on this Forum for most things is appropriate. What am I missing?

I had to start a new topic since that previous topic had been locked.

Marilyn

#57734 - 07/18/02 04:02 AM Re: Purpose of This Forum
kozykeys Offline

Loc: york england
hey I'm with you there getting a bit bossy on here i think
jan

#57735 - 07/18/02 11:43 AM Re: Purpose of This Forum
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi all forum members.

I have to say that I'm both surprised and very disappointed about
the way posts being deleted and/or locked at this forum.
There are a lot of posts/treads who are not present anymore, and
many of the treads, if not most of them, are those posts who in one
way or another don't agree in the way this forum are being used, or
may I dare to say "moderated".

Those of you who remember what happened when the "Technics Gang" left
Technote forum and started to join and use SZone might remember some
of the topics and posts written, and that the question about if it
is nessesary to have a additional moderator at all, as long as Nigel
runs the SZ forums in the excellent way he does.
The things we see happen now make me ask myself the same question once
again, and when you read my post, I think you have guessed the answer?

This is not any attack against Bebop as a person, and the way I have
learned to know him at the forums, I think he know that it is the way
of "leadership" and the way this forum have turned out to be, who is
the "case of discussion" here.

Here is a quote of a reply I wrote in a tread few days ago, and that
now is deleted along with the tread:

Hi all.
To be honest, I feel a bit like Johnnie regarding to the fact that
this forum is turned more and more like the zillions of other forums
at the web.
The title of this part of Synth Zone is still Technics discussion,
and if we all start treads about travels, motorcycles, cars, or like
my own post about collecting pens or whatever, maybe it make this forum
far less interesting for many Technics user at the end?
Also the policy of "private" fileswapping and newsletters where you have
to subscribe to see the reviews etc. is something that I don't think is
for any good in the long term.
Why not post it at the forum, is'nt it where it should be posted?
Again, this is as always, my very personal thoughts about this and that...

____________End quote deleted post/reply. _____________

As always, Kind Regards
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#57736 - 07/18/02 02:48 PM Re: Purpose of This Forum

Good post Jonny, I can agree with you wholeheartedly.

Marilyn

#57737 - 07/18/02 03:53 PM Re: Purpose of This Forum
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
It seems a real shame that the TECHNICS FORUM has digressed the way it has over recent days, but I guess it was inevitable that it would be heading that way purely due to some of the content that was being offered up & the fact that threads were being lifted.
At the risk of (not for the first time ) repeating myself I had made my feelings only too well known about the chit chat themes (now lifted ) & rightly or wrongly I strongly feel that there are more appropriate forums where such off piste discussions should take place.
This is only my opinion & I would never expect everybody to agree with me.But I reserve the right to get fed up

I was a member of the Bebop mailing list but for some inexplicable reason somewhere down the line I got excluded so I came to the conclusion that it must have been some of the posts that I made that Bebop did not agree with but there again I could be wrong.

I have often thought it wrong that a moderator should get so openly involved, I have always been under the impression a moderator stays in the background ,is impartial, an arbitrator, a mediator, can a person really moderate & run a club within a club? You tell me.

When the new KN7000 hits the streets it would not surprise me one little bit if it's the Technote Forum where it is all going to be happening because it seems that so many people appear to be fed up.
My Regards
Johnnie

#57738 - 07/18/02 04:11 PM Re: Purpose of This Forum
technicsplayer Offline

ok, let's talk mailing list.

We are told you can opt in and opt out.

First I was on the list. Then when I expressed a few home truths about why we ended up here from technote that did not agree with the "moderator" I was suddenly off the list.

Later, maybe because I answered lots of questions I was on the list again. Then at the time of the 'techies' editorial fiasco I was off the list again.

Then some other time, maybe because my Frankfurt report was useful I was on again, then off again for some other reason, who knows now.

This stuff is all in the past, and I cannot remember the exact details now, but the gist is correct.

At no time have I ever communicated a wish one way or the other about inclusion or exclusion from the mailing list.

Interesting eh?

Oh, by the way, I'm still waiting for some answers on http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/000771.html

#57739 - 07/18/02 05:53 PM Re: Purpose of This Forum

I'm sorry things have turned out this way, but these posts tell me I wasn't wrong about what I was seeing going on.

I agree that Technotes will pick up shortly with the coming of the KN7000 and the situation here.

I wonder how long this thread will stay here? I didn't realize that much censorship was going on.

I am no longer on the mailing list, I requested off today.

Marilyn

#57740 - 07/18/02 06:26 PM Re: Purpose of This Forum
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Having been an active member of the Synthzone forums since December 1999, the Synthzone arranger forum (particularly the General Arranger forum) has become a SPECIAL place for me, because this is the only place in the world where arranger keyboard players of all persuasions, makes, and models around the world can meet, exchange ideas & and share a few laughs along the way too. When the Technics Canada forum closed a while back, I moved to the Technote forum, but the first time I posted there, my posting got unknowingly deleted, apparently only because I gave my web address out, inviting people to listen to my KN5000 produced songs (definitely not a sales or marketing related site to arranger players). The OTHER thing I noticed (understandably I guess because it's sponsored by a subsidary of Tehcnics: Technote), is that you can not post anything negative about Technics lest have your posting deleted. As much as I enjoy continueing to read the Technote forum postings, the negative feeling I got from having my initial posting delted, left a bitter taste in my mouth and I still don't feel comfortable there. As can be expected, I was elated to find that Technics arranger enthusiasts found a new home here on Synthzone because we would now have the freedom to post our opinions without the fear of having our posts deleted.

I appreciate the hard work (many hours) and effort Bebop has given in moving so many of us to Synthzone, as well as his willingness to take on the responsibility of moderator . . . but (I think) herein lies the problem. The Synthzone 'Technics' forum is the ONLY Synthzone forum I know of that has an 'actively' participating moderator. All other Synthzone forums (General, General Arranger, Roland, Korg, etc) are moderated by the administrator himself: Nigel Spence. Nigel's style has been to basically sits back & let things go on their own course (and doesn't really participate or post very often either). In fact, I can only think of one or two instances, in the over 2 1/2 years I've been a Synthzone Forum member, of him ever deleting a post or closing a thread.

I think that (in the spirit of Synthzone's history) that the moderator's responsibility should be to take a more back seat observation role and to step in only if people are posting something going againest the official Synthzone rules: obscenities, slander, etc. I had the pleasure of meeting Bebopo (in person) last month and he truly is a good person who has his heart in the RIGHT place, but perhaps he might consider making some adaptions to his role as moderator.

I trust that we can all step back and start fresh again, and give this thing another chance by treating each other as friends and support each other in our passsion for playing arranger keyboards. The world is too small (and fragile) for petty bickering.

Ok everyone, 'MY' keyboard's better than yours! . . . just kidding

- Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#57741 - 07/18/02 07:35 PM Re: Purpose of This Forum
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Very well said Scott.
This is a great place for everyone interested in Technics KB's.
I have not been very active in this forum, but I do check in a
few times a day to see what's new.
I have grown to like everyone here so I hope this can all
be resolved & be 1 happy family again.

Scott my keyboard is better then yours.
Just kidding
Denny

#57742 - 07/18/02 08:27 PM Re: Purpose of This Forum
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
What's happening to this great Forum? The constant bickering is a deadly signal that there will be a great falling away of membership, as discontent is displayed in so many posts. Why are we like this, is it so important,that we rave and rant because our wishes and ideas are not being considered? Should we fire up and bring this Forum to its knees, without any effort at negotiating, or trying to help our moderator,with calm considered suggestions? It's so easy to to criticize, and threaten withdrawal. without giving a thought to what it takes to administrate and keep this Smythzone running, bookkeeping, and e-mailing,zipping and un-zipping, hours and hours and not one cent of renumeration. Either we want to keep this special Technics Forum, healthy and happy, or we will go the route of Tecnote, where the same illness crept in. I'm not a great player, and I'm not a great poster, but I have lived on this planet a long time, and I can assure you now, that the road we are taking, will drive us streight to disaster. Why don't we take the other fork in this musical journey, which will take us to fun, happiness and contentment. Thinking of you at 82.. ARJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online