SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#58403 - 06/01/06 07:29 AM GOING FROM SEQUENCER PLAYED SONG TO LIVE PERFORMING
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
After playing a sequenced song and going to a different set PANEL MEMORY, I find it so frustrating to have to remember to push off the SEQUENCER PLAY button and the on INTRO before I can play live. I manage to continually forget to do this. It seems that when you have set a PANEL MEMORY, this should automatically release the SEQUENCER PLAY because it wasn't set with it on. The other evening, I played a song for my neighbor that I had done in the SEQUENCER. After it finished, I started to follow up with live playing by pressing a set PANEL MEMORY and it started playing the INTRO and the sequenced song in the PANEL MEMORY I was set to play in - MOST EMBARASSING!!! I immediately stopped playing and apologized for the error.

Soooooooooooo, my friends, is there away around this other than trying to keep from having a 'senior moment' and remember to release these two buttons manually?

Scott

#58404 - 06/01/06 10:18 AM Re: GOING FROM SEQUENCER PLAYED SONG TO LIVE PERFORMING
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Scott
I asked the same question some time back. This might help you. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/003441.html

Bernie

#58405 - 06/01/06 04:46 PM Re: GOING FROM SEQUENCER PLAYED SONG TO LIVE PERFORMING
nsr007 Offline

Thanks, Bernie.

I did read the link you posted and some things are still unclear. Let me give you an example: I did a bass and drums backing in COMPOSER, filed it as a CUSTOM STYLE. I then put it in a PANEL MEMORY with Right 1. in Pianist Mode. When I did this, there was nothing in SEQUENCER. After setting my PANEL MEMORY and nothing in the SEQUENCER, shouldn't this negate the Sequencer song that I had loaded and played by pressing the Panel Memory of my setting? Also, I have noticed that if you have pressed an Intro button, regardless of what Panel Memory you select, the Intro stays initiated. One would think this would automatically switch off when changing Panel Memories if you haven't selected an Intro. I don't understand Alec's mentioning a "blank sequencer" - isn't this what I have done by not having anything in the SEQUENCER when I set the PANEL MEMORY?

Scott

#58406 - 06/01/06 05:30 PM Re: GOING FROM SEQUENCER PLAYED SONG TO LIVE PERFORMING
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Scott

Sorry to report but once the sequencer is active (Play button lighted). It will have to be turned off manually. Panel memories will not control that. Ditto on the Intro setting as well. All by design.

After the sequencer is played and you know you are going to play live. Then I suggest, Initialize just the Sequencer. This turns the Sequencer Play button off and also clears it without effecting the other settings. I've learned over time to turn it off manually. Just one of those things.

The above is if you didn't load another file and just changed some settings around.

If on the other hand lets say you have two files. You load the first one that has a sequencer but the second file has settings to play live with no sequencer. This part was explained going to the link mentioned by Bernie. Eventhough there is no sequencer for the second file. It's still good practice to save a blank sequencer at the time the file was created. So when you load that file, it will clear the previous file sequencer and the Play button will be OFF.

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AnthonyCian (edited 06-01-2006).]

#58407 - 06/01/06 06:46 PM Re: GOING FROM SEQUENCER PLAYED SONG TO LIVE PERFORMING
nsr007 Offline

Thanks, Anthony - What a bummer! One could get very paranoid playing in public having to continually be aware of pushing the Sequencer button off and the Intro off each time you play live. I was wondering if this is controlled by my keyboard set to PANEL MEMORY MODE - EXPAND. Even when I had the KN6000, I always set it to EXPAND. I just assumed that more control is better.

Loading a file to play live seems like a waste of time to me. It would take more time than remembering to turn off the Sequencer button and Intro, if that be the case.

Scott

#58408 - 06/01/06 08:39 PM Re: GOING FROM SEQUENCER PLAYED SONG TO LIVE PERFORMING
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Hi Scott:

Loading a file to clear the sequencer so you can play live is a waste of time as you say. Remembering to turn off the Sequencer Play Button (Priceless).

But beware:

Lets say you have a sequencer file loaded and played and everything went as planned. Your next song was a request, and you know you have just the file you can load to play live. Well if that file doesn't load a blank sequencer to clear the previous sequencer. Guess what, your previous sequencer will play once you start it. Unless you remember to turn off the Play button.

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AnthonyCian (edited 06-01-2006).]

#58409 - 06/02/06 01:11 AM Re: GOING FROM SEQUENCER PLAYED SONG TO LIVE PERFORMING
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Eventhough it is foolproof Alec's way, I deal with too many files that do not have not a blank loaded. After a couple of times of reactivating the sequencer, my mind always goes to the light when playing styles.

I guess you are right. It is just one of those things.

#58410 - 06/02/06 01:24 AM Re: GOING FROM SEQUENCER PLAYED SONG TO LIVE PERFORMING
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi fellas
I thought I might throw in my tuppence ha'penny worth here...
Whilst I rarely use sequenced material and practically always play everything live I was wondering why on those rare occasions that I do use a sequenced file and then move on to live registrations I don't have the problem you've been talking about with my KN7000.
And I've come to the conclusion that it is this...every registraion for every song/melody/whatever that I play is a seperate file on the SD Card primarily because the SD Card loads so quickly that even with folk up dancing there is only a second or so gap between each number.
Now that loading process offers the opportunity to determine what is loaded and what isn't as Alec must have described; and because I always have those 'load' settings set to 'all' even though it wastes space on an SD Card, that process wipes out everything that was inherant in the previous loading.
I remember with the old KN920 I used to have the problem you describe because laoding from a floppy disk was around 15 seconds and therefore avoided if at all possible...
Hope this doesn't confuse.
Rog

#58411 - 06/02/06 02:36 AM Re: GOING FROM SEQUENCER PLAYED SONG TO LIVE PERFORMING
technicsplayer Offline

as soon as the panel memory controlled sequencer status the complaints would start "I pressed a panel memory during my sequence and it stopped dead leaving the dancers glaring and me most embarrassed!"

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online