SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#59093 - 03/23/02 01:20 PM Re: Design and Retail Cost of New Keyboards
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the U.K if there is not a high gross margin on these products? How is it that the major dealers sold the KN6000 for £1999 (theprice I paid for mine 2 years ago) and the sell it and forget brigade advertised them at £1599 (brand new). They also have to make a profit to stay in business. Of course if we want the K/B and we feel we are getting a good deal then all this is totally irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally posted by JvG:
I happen to have a Technics dealer price list from some years ago (KN2000 era), and the margins are VERY slim. Probably around no more than 350 pounds at best. Still have that price list somewhere, which is in Dutch guilders. Even if a dealer got bulk discount, it's all poor profit IMO. Surprises me they can make a living off of selling Technics. I know other brands such as Yamaha are quite cheaper to buy for a dealer.

[This message has been edited by JvG (edited 03-23-2002).]

#59094 - 03/23/02 02:04 PM Re: Design and Retail Cost of New Keyboards
JvG Offline

Loc: Holland
I can only tell you what I know from my perspective, but dealers selling brandnew keyboards below MRSP is not that uncommon here in Holland though one usually has to ask for it.

The music business is so competitive here that small profits are prefered over no sale at all.

#59095 - 03/24/02 09:37 AM Re: Design and Retail Cost of New Keyboards
Anonymous
Unregistered

YOU'RE RIGHT. 30% OF SOMETHING IS MUCH BETTER THAN 100% OF NOTHING. I WAS LOOKING BACK AT SOME OLD K/B MAGAZINES WHEN THE KN3000 CAME OUT AND THEY WERE ADVERTISED AT £2499 STERLING, SO THE PRICES OF TODAYS K/B'S ARE GOOD VALUE BY COMPARISON, TAKING ACCOUNT OF INFLATION. IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT PRICE THEY PUT ON THE KN7000.
Quote:
Originally posted by JvG:
I can only tell you what I know from my perspective, but dealers selling brandnew keyboards below MRSP is not that uncommon here in Holland though one usually has to ask for it.

The music business is so competitive here that small profits are prefered over no sale at all.

#59096 - 03/24/02 11:55 AM Re: Design and Retail Cost of New Keyboards
technicsplayer Offline

The KN3000 was £2500 mainly because of the unfavourable exchange rate at that time (1995).
Since then the KN5000, 6000 and 6500 have all been £2000.
The relative value has appreciably increased over the years taking into account inflation and the increase in specification, but that holds for many other areas of technology too.
We've never had it so good!

#59097 - 03/25/02 02:59 AM Re: Design and Retail Cost of New Keyboards
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
As mentioned in a earlier message at this forum In holland the asking price for the KN6000 was € 3131,00 most retailers sold them for about €2.300,00. I got mine for € 2.268,00 and some softeware.

So don't tell me that i had a bargain. Only the full who don't know the system (demanding and asking) paid for the asking price and the retailer and his wife have a nice party at the evening.

And by the way i haven't read about many music shops which get bankrupsy.
The also know the system and increasing to the asking price.

rgds.
Wim

#59098 - 03/25/02 03:17 AM Re: Design and Retail Cost of New Keyboards
technicsplayer Offline

these were of course the recommended retail prices, not necessarily the actual prices you could negotiate. It also depends on whether you have another keyboard to trade in. It's all pretty obvious really.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online