SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#59246 - 11/12/06 11:57 AM Just A Thought
casarosa Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
Having read the topic One-sided KN7000 Just wondered how we all treat and look after our now rare prized possession the KN7000 with respect hopefully
The replacement of 5 transistors Hmm! Quite a job

Does everyone have some sort of voltage surge protection and make sure his or her instrument is turned off and unplugged during electrical storms, etc

Just curious
Regards

#59247 - 11/12/06 02:24 PM Re: Just A Thought
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I would have thought it would be everyone's top priority to use a surge protector with any electrical equipment, particularly our precious musical instruments. I know of someone who didn't and when the hall he was playing in had a fuse blow, it took out all his gear and did quite a bit of damage too. Luckily for me, I have a brother and a son who are electricians and both check everything regularly for me, but of course you never know whether other people's circuits are good condition so it's always wise to at least carry a surge plug with you when playing out. Also, because of stringent Health & Safety rules here in England, you could be breaking the law if you are not protected.

Audrey

#59248 - 11/13/06 02:35 AM Re: Just A Thought
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Great point Audrey - but what do you do at the club you run when I guess there may be half a dozen people plugged in and playing rather like our club...any ideas?
Rog

#59249 - 11/13/06 04:04 AM Re: Just A Thought
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
Casarosa,

Good subject.

All of my electronics, Telephone, TV, HiFi, Computer and 7000 are each protected by a strip surge protector available at many stores. I thought I was fully protected, but doing some research I find some saying the only real protection is unplugging the device.

I know we have some engineers as members. What is your advice? How many joules?

Fran in SC

#59250 - 11/13/06 05:08 AM Re: Just A Thought
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
My KN7000 is always unplugged unless I am using it.

#59251 - 11/13/06 05:13 AM Re: Just A Thought
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello All
Electrical regulations vary between countries so there is not a global answer.
In the UK, all Public places that have live entertainment should have there electrical systems checked to comply with all regulations; and all the sockets should also be protected by an RCD. In addition to this all performers must have the equipment checked yearly (PAT Test) and be able to provide the required paperwork.
In Private clubs it is the responsibility of the owner to make sure everything is as it should be. (Heavy fines can be incurred if an accident occurs and health and safety measures have not been taken)
When purchasing a surge protector look for one that has a warrantee that covers the cost of replacement or repair of damaged equipment. (I know of one big manufacture that advertises this and has very good customer support, and the cover also includes a lightning strike on the electrical system)
Finally, if you have more then one piece of equipment do not be tempted to use an ordinary power strip connected into a single surge protection unit, as due to the way portable surge protectors work, full cover will not be provided. (There are plenty of surge protection power strips available)
Hope this helps

Bill

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online