SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59339 - 11/22/03 04:07 AM Midifile Edit
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi All

This is the first time I have tried to edit a midifile and would appreciate some advice.
I am talking about simple changes like balancing volume e.g.
It was suggested elswhere that editing software like Pro Audio or Sonic is the way to go. I can do that but,I thought if I saved it in NX as a Technics file and edited the volume from KN7000,it would work.
It does but when I save the changes and reload,the original volume is there again.

First of all,can the kb handle midi editing like change in volume and instruments.
If so,what am I doing wrong. It looks like the header perhaps is taking priority over the changes I made. Just a guess.

Thanks
Bernie

#59340 - 11/22/03 04:32 AM Re: Midifile Edit
technicsplayer Offline

your guess is right.
for balance, load the midi, go to mixer, make chnages, go to sequencer menu and panel write. Depending on the midi file you may have to stop a measure of two in, it all depends where the setup controls are situated in all tracks.

#59341 - 11/22/03 04:41 AM Re: Midifile Edit
Bernie9 Offline

Thanks Alec
"stop a measure--? I don't understand. I shall give it a whirl. What about your recommendation on instrument changes. Should I get editing software ?

#59342 - 11/22/03 05:01 AM Re: Midifile Edit
technicsplayer Offline

depending on the midi file, play the midi then stop after 1 or 2 measures, then go to mixer and make changes etc.
No keyboard can compete with ease of use of pc editing programs, but for instrument changes just start with the mixer, select sound at the left and track at the bottom and choose from the sound explorer, gm or nx voices and panel write. You can do a lot on the keyboard before you need to move on to pc programs.

#59343 - 11/22/03 05:16 AM Re: Midifile Edit
Bernie9 Offline

I see what you mean.It works great.
Thanks again.

#59344 - 11/22/03 06:48 AM Re: Midifile Edit
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Oh Alec where are you???

I will have a NX midi. I will go to particular measures and step record instruments and the volume settings for the RT1 and RT2. May not have to do this, but when done, will click on panel write. I will play it back, and the instruments come in as planned. I will save as NX with panel header on. When played back, the RT1 and RT2 instruments that I step record, are not there. Back to square one.

Now doing the above in GM the RT1 and RT2 are now PT1 and PT2, and the sound stays after saving. But the trade off was sound quality and less instruments.

Using Step Record I compared the NX and GM in RT1 and found an iteresting thing. In NX when step recording an instrument it gives it a RT1 label, however the GM version uses the labeling that starts with P. So this could be why when saved in NX midi, it didn't save the instrument because it was labeled RT1 (Sound) Clean Guitar for example compared to P12 (Sound) Clean Guitar.

NX type will identify Tracks 1 2 3 as RT1 RT2 and Left. While GM identifies these as PT1 PT2 PT3. Probably why RT1 and P labeling...

My question then: Is there a way of entering P12 manually on an NX RT1 track, using the technics instrument? Or is there another way of accomplishing this?

Hmmm, I guess I could change RT1 to PT1 using track assign, make the edit using Step Record, then save as NX.

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AnthonyCian (edited 11-22-2003).]

#59345 - 11/22/03 08:38 AM Re: Midifile Edit
technicsplayer Offline

where do I start? panel write is used for the beginning of the song, if you use it at the end you'll overwrite the immediate previous changes you just made, simple as that.
On the 128 polyphonic instruments you have a choice of having channels 1, 2 and 3 as R1, R2 and L to play directly from the Conductor or as parts 1, 2 and 3, it does not affect your editing at all.
Track assign is important for the reasons in a previous answer to Heather, smf is different to technics mode. There are 16 tracks in the sequencer but 24 parts to assign for recording, and 29 for midi output.

#59346 - 11/22/03 11:16 AM Re: Midifile Edit
AnthonyCian Offline

Helooo Alec.
I appreciate the time and effort your spending with me about Technics format vs Midi. I hate to admit it but I'm getting more and more confused.

Here's what's happening when I record using easy record having RT1 set with a piano in measures 1-25. I use panel memory to change the sound to organ starting at measure 26 and ending at 50. Save in technics format so I don't have to repeat this if I need it again.

Then do the APC/SMF convert thing. Save as NX, load the NX file. The organ does not sound when measure 26 comes in. Still a piano, so I step record in measure 26 the organ, which shows RT1 (Sound) Organ. I save as NX. Guess what, when loading as NX to NX the organ is not there again. I need a way to glue that organ on measure 26.

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AnthonyCian (edited 11-22-2003).]

#59347 - 11/22/03 05:34 PM Re: Midifile Edit
technicsplayer Offline

maybe you've left something out of your description, or not mentioned something else that you've done, because I can assure you that if I followed that process the organ would play at measure 26.

#59348 - 11/22/03 10:07 PM Re: Midifile Edit
AnthonyCian Offline

Well I've done some more tests and some worked and some didn't. I think I'm getting it, just a matter of fine tuning and doing more. Maybe using panel write messed things up?

Anthony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online