SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#60034 - 07/02/05 02:51 PM Recording Perfomance Pads
Mike Aviv Offline

Hi all, I have a question regarding recording the performance pads. Using easy record i have selected one of the performance pads as intro. When i started the playback the intro was not rcorded.
Is there a way to record them, do I miss something?

Thanks Mike

#60035 - 07/03/05 05:24 AM Re: Recording Perfomance Pads
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Re: Performance Pads.

I do a lot of recording using the Easy Record and a stand-alone recording system and have not experienced your problem, so I have just checked my setup and I see that my Performance Pad Bank is set to "OFF"

To do this press and hold down the blue SET button in centre of the 8 Panel Memory. This will take you to MEMORY MODE. Make sure the "EXPAND" is highlighted. (You may have to press the "Display Hold" button to hold the page(s) you are looking at here.)

Go to Page 2 and in the right hand column named 'Filter Type', you will see the last item is named "PAD BANK" - switch this to "OFF" and Exit.

Should the Pad Bank already be switched Off, try switching it On and see if that works.

A word of caution, with the Pad Bank 'ON' if you are using 'Music Stylist' or 'One Touch Play', your pads will change according to Technics setups - which is why I always work with my Pad Bank switched 'off' as it gives me complete control over the Pads I am using. The only time I would switch to 'On' is if the music is varied on separate PMs, i.e. quickstep, waltz etc., as these would obviously need different pads.

Hope this helps.

Aud (U.K.)

#60036 - 07/03/05 05:49 PM Re: Recording Perfomance Pads
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
The reason that the Performance Pad was not recorded in your sequence is that the Pads do not initiate the Sequencer Start. You can observe this by watching the Measure count in the sequencer Recording display.
The sequencer will only start recording when you press the Start/Stop button or, if Synchro Start is selected, when you play the first chord below the split point.
One way of achieving a Performance Pad 'Intro', whilst making a Easy Record Sequence, is as follows :
1. Select the appropriate Performance Pad BANK and note which Pad has the desired pattern.
2.Set up the KN7000 for Easy Record as normal.
3. Press the START/STOP button and the appropriate Performance Pad at the same time, but don't play a chord with the left hand. The Style Drum part only will start to play, together with the chosen Performance Pad pattern.
4. As soon as the Performance Pad pattern has finished, play the first left hand chord and at the same time, hit the Performance Pad 'STOP' button.
It may take a bit of practice but it works... However, this method does superimpose the Drum pattern of the style on top of the Performance Pad but this may not be a problem ??

An alternative method which can be used after making a recording :
This may seem a long and involved procedure, but once you become familiar with it, it should be easy to remember.

Assuming the Easy Record sequence is loaded in the KN7000 - presumably without an Intro:
First, determine the length (number of bars) of the particular Performance pad pattern, which you wish to use. In this example, lets assume 4 Bars. Then, we need to create a blank 4 bars at the start of the existing sequence, which will eventually allow insertion of the Performance Pad pattern.

1. Press 'Program Menus' > 'Sequencer' > 'Copy & Paste' > 'Measure Insert'
2. In the Measure Insert display, in the 'FROM' table, set TRACK to 'ALL' : FIRST MEASURE to '1' : LAST MEASURE to '4'
3. In the 'TO' table, set TRACK to 'ALL' : START MEASURE to '1' : REPEAT to '0'
4. Press 'OK' followed by 'YES' and then press 'EXIT' once. This will create a duplicate of the first 4 bars of the sequence and place them in front of the original first 4 Bars. We now need to clear all the data in these new first 4 bars, to allow 'pasting' in of the 4 Bar Performance pad.
5. In the COPY & PASTE display, press MEASURE ERASE.
6. Set TRACK to 'ALL' : FIRST MEASURE to '1' : LAST MEASURE to '4' : ERASE DATA to ALL then press 'OK' and 'EXIT' twice, to display the 'SEQ MENU' screen.
7. Press RECORD & EDIT > STEP RECORD > 6/CTL. You should now see the STEP RECORD display with the white square cursor at position 1 of measure 1.
8. Press the BANK button in the Performance Pad and select the desired Bank and note the Performance Pad number associated with the desired pattern. If the PADS BANK SELECT screen has not auto timed out, just press 'EXIT' to return to the STEP RECORD screen.
9. Press the appropriate Performance Pad button - an asterisk will appear in position 1 of measure 1 and the Performance Pad will start to play.
10. Allow the pattern to play once through and then press the Performance Pad 'STOP' button.
11. Use the 'MEAS' buttons at the bottom of the screen to step forward until the white square cursor is positioned at the start of the first measure, following the length of the Performance Pad pattern - in this case - measure 5.
12. Press the Performance Pad 'STOP' button.
Note : There may already be a 'PAD STOP' event in this position, inserted when you originally pressed the 'STOP' button in Step 10. However, for some reason which I don't understand, this does not actually stop the Performance Pad from playing, beyond the first 4 bars. Adding the extra 'STOP' event manually, in Step 12, does the trick.
13. Press 'EXIT' 3 times, to change to the SEQ MENU display, then press PANEL WRITE followed by 'OK'
14.Press SEQUENCER PLAY and confirm that your sequence now starts with the Performance Pad 'Intro'.

Finally, save your sequence to SD Card / Floppy disk.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#60037 - 07/04/05 06:23 AM Re: Recording Perfomance Pads
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
However, this method does superimpose the Drum pattern of the style on top of the Performance Pad

just mute drums in the 1st panel memory and unmute in the second, it couldn't be simpler!

#60038 - 07/04/05 07:21 AM Re: Recording Perfomance Pads
Mike Aviv Offline

Hi All,
Thank you for all the suggestions and information, I will give it a tray.
Thanks
Mike

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online