SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#62843 - 02/11/04 08:27 PM Waltz Styles
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Has anyone else had trouble getting good waltz styles? Most are very monotonous Oom-Pa-Pa types.
I've doctored up about fifteen so far but I am looking for more variety.
The ballroom dancers request a lot of waltzes that are in the 90 to 110 tempo range and patterns that sound pretty good at faster tempos just don't cut it at those speeds.
Walt

#62844 - 02/12/04 02:43 AM Re: Waltz Styles
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Walt
I have the same problem on occasion. I can get by with the ones in the 7000 and custom archives but,with ballroom dancers, thats a different story. I certainly do not feel confident in this area and will have to learn to make custom styles if I play to this group.

Bernie

#62845 - 02/12/04 09:00 PM Re: Waltz Styles
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
I agree!! There are so many lovely waltzes (3/4-time songs) that do not need the monotonous omm-pah-pah that seems to be the mainstay of the styles on the 7000. I, too, would love to have several styles that are more appropriate than the "built-in" ones. Anyone who has prepared some, please share! I have, in fact, written several songs that need a 3/4-time arrangement and I am unhappy with all the ones that I have found in the keyboard styles. I am not clever enough to know how to orchestrate and prepare a rhythm background; I usually use either piano or strings and I seldom change what I find works. But I would love some more variety. (For a Christmas song I wrote, several Forum members sent me a Christmas-y arrangement and it worked fine; so there are those who can do this and share.) I'm glad this thread has begun; I look forward to contributions!

Ted

#62846 - 02/12/04 11:54 PM Re: Waltz Styles
greybird Offline

Loc: Granbury, TX, United States
If you're looking for a swingy waltz you might try 'Jazz Waltz' on KN 3000 41-60. One touch's tempo is 176 & very jazzy but slow it down to 90-100 & it's very swingy. May be worth a try...

Greybird

#62847 - 02/13/04 07:12 AM Re: Waltz Styles
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Thanks everyone for your interest. I hope that this thread can continue as it has already helped me discover some new things.

Greybird, thanks for pointing me to the KN3000 styles.
For some reason, I have not really explored the KN3000 styles - don't ask me why. I owned and used the KN2000 for many years and still use many of those styles instead of the KN7000 native styles.
It is my feeling that the KN2000 and the KN3000 styles are more suitable for the ballroom dance crowd. They are more reminiscent of the 20's, 30's, 40's, and 50's bands and their style of playing. The KN7000 styles are more busy and more noisy - you might say "flashy" (IMO). It seems that Technics put far less emphasis into the styles of the "Big Band" era when they designed the Kn7000.
For my purpose, the old styles combined with the wonderful voices of the Kn7000 make a terrific ballroom dance presentation.
Please jump in here and keep the ideas coming.
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 02-13-2004).]

#62848 - 02/13/04 11:33 AM Re: Waltz Styles
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Walt, bernie, Greybird:

I, too, am looking forward to more contributions in this thread. I would love to have some subtle, romantic offerings, (orchestrations and styles in 3/4 time) for such lovely tunes as Berlin's "Always" or "Together" or "What'll I do?", etc. Or more classic orchestral magic setups, like for the "Song from Moulin
Rouge", "Fascination", etc. The several styles on the 7000 don't (IMHO) lend themselves to this kind of music. I wish I could be more specific; I guess I am thinking Boston Pops or David Rose or Mantovani or background geniuses like Nelson Riddle, or all those other cliche oldies! I hope others will respond here; my original creations in 3/4 time await a new muse...

Ted

#62849 - 02/13/04 12:17 PM Re: Waltz Styles
greybird Offline

Loc: Granbury, TX, United States
Walt & Ted,

Several more waltz's on KN3000 61-80.

Greybird

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online