SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#62864 - 02/10/04 11:40 PM Using The Versatility Of The KN7000
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Using The Versatility Of The KN7000

One thing that comes to mind that does not often seem to get aired are the outputs of the 7000 I.E line in/line out/sub out Etc. The permutations must make this area of the 7000 very versatile indeed.
It struck me that having three active speaker/combos I was not using this facility to it's full potential so I wondered if anybody has experimented with it and come up with an ideal setting or some interesting settings

#62865 - 02/11/04 03:35 AM Re: Using The Versatility Of The KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

it all depends whether the monitors have any tone control built in, and if you choose to use the 7000 parametric equaliser to tailor the sound.

For example if the left/right monitors are rather bright and have no tone control they can be connected to normal line output and used full range, and if the 3rd speaker is more suitable for bass duties it can be connected to the sub out. The sub out can then be configured for bass, bass and drums, or any of the other part accompaniment selections available and the hall high/low sound balance achieved with just the volume controls on the 3 active speakers.

#62866 - 02/11/04 05:19 AM Re: Using The Versatility Of The KN7000
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I use my kb as a monitor for me, and as such, I employ a slightly unorthodox method.
First of all - I need to use an outboard vocal harmonizer (Digitech VR) so I have to use a mixer. I route my vocals, a second mic and a stereo feed from my laptop into this mixer ALONG WITH the subouts from the kn ..... BACK INTO the audio inputs on the 7000.

This allows me to mix the volume and tone of the mics and MP3s/Midi files as they are played through the kb speakers. I send the drums and auto acc to the sub outs in stereo and I can now EQ them on the mixer in real time b4 they get sent back into the kb speakers, and then on to the line outs into my Bose PAS.

I play mostly left hand bass lines, so the auto stuff is not a priority for me and having a separate drum channel to boost, EQ and fiddle with is paramount to my happiness during a performance. When I do choose to allow the arranger to do the work, all those parts are routed through the sub jacks so i still have more control of the overall volume and punch as it is mixed with the rest of the KB signal.

I also use the mic input on the kn as a guitar channel. I think it sounds horrid for vocals, but terrific for my guitars.
The versitility of the mixer/kb spkrs is why I use this setup.

Pictues on my site of the setup: www.daveboydmusic.com

#62867 - 02/11/04 09:33 AM Re: Using The Versatility Of The KN7000
MarkW Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I also use the mic input on the kn as a guitar channel. I think it sounds horrid for vocals, but terrific for my guitars.

Aha! So I'm not the only person to have tried connecting a guitar to the KN7000 mic input. I've found it quite interesting to try the different effects that can be applied to the mic input. The only one I found that didn't really work with a guitar was the vocal harmoniser itself.

Mark.

#62868 - 02/11/04 09:56 AM Re: Using The Versatility Of The KN7000
Uncle Dave Offline

I only use chorus, delay or reverb on my guitar. Sometimes, a mixture of all three, but usually I want a pure acoustic sound. The harmonizer that Technics includes is a joke....especially for vocals.

#62869 - 02/11/04 01:41 PM Re: Using The Versatility Of The KN7000
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
[QUOTE]it all depends whether the monitors have any tone control built in,
The sub out can then be configured for bass, bass and drums,

Alec
My left and right monitors are 150 watts each and probably are a bit top endy No tone control as such

my third monitor is a nice gutsy Fender so is it possible to not only direct bass and drums but also part of the accompaniment giving the overall sound a bit more body

all monitors are active

#62870 - 02/11/04 02:09 PM Re: Using The Versatility Of The KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

well I'd certainly try bass/drums/accomp through the fender then, on the mono setting you can have bass, drums or accomp, but I would be inclined to experiment with the stereo output where you can have any combination you like. The main pair are providing the stereo effect so the sub is just raised in level enough to fill in that "body" reinforcement.

#62871 - 02/11/04 02:33 PM Re: Using The Versatility Of The KN7000
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Dave I know I agreed, I’m no good at rhyme but I’m weak, so here goes -

The harmonizer that Technics includes is a joke
They put it there just to get your goat.

Dave, smile just a little bit? Please? Pretty Please??

Douggie

#62872 - 02/11/04 09:50 PM Re: Using The Versatility Of The KN7000
Uncle Dave Offline

I've been smilin' steady for days now that the drummer is history ! I had a wonderful night (alone) tonight. Harmonies were kickin' arse, as was the Bose .... Life was sweet from 7-11 tonight !

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online