SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62912 - 03/02/02 04:17 AM about buying a kb
Artaher Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi, friends
I'm novice in this forum. I will buy a kb next month, and I would know your opinion as technics fans.
I have seen PSR2000 (1000$) and KN6500 (2000$). I hope KN is better, because is double price, but... is it two times better? In what exactly Technics is better tha Yamaha? I like specially acoustic sounds (piano...), and warm styles. I have seen a lot of yamaha styles on the net... are something similar for Technics?
Thanks

#62913 - 03/02/02 07:02 AM Re: about buying a kb
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Hi, go to, http://www.ca-software.de/ , for Tech. files.they are supberb, and, free!!! regards. Walter.

#62914 - 03/02/02 08:03 AM Re: about buying a kb
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The biggest advantage the psr2000 has over the kn6500 is the mic input and harmonizer.
The kn has the advantage in hard drive option, and superb sound system. For the price - I think the 2000 is the run-a-way leader for value. If singing is not important to you, and the price doesn't matter, then the 6500 is a better keyboard. Only YOU can determine if it's $1000 better for you, though. I bought the 2000 because of the "all in one" advantage. I sing alot and the mic input is invaluable.

#62915 - 03/02/02 08:03 AM Re: about buying a kb
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi Artaher.

The discussion about what keyboard to choose is frequently repeated at
the forums around, and it is most always each users personal taste who
will mirror in the replies.
You know, every parent think best about it's own baby

The two you have mentioned here, is two different keyboards related to
both price level and quality. The KN6500 is a "top of the line", as the
Yamaha PSR9000 or Pro is, and if you should compare the PSR2000, then
I think you have to look at the KN1600 in the Technics line.

What is best or not, depends of the ears who listening, and I usually
suggest that those who want to buy a keyboard, should write down a list
of what they want to give priority to, if it is sounds or other things
such as sequenser, styles, userfriendlyness etc., and then just visit
the dealers to try out the different models.
To me he feel of the keyboard is also important, if it is quality keys
and materials, or simple "click-clack" toy feeling.

If you're going for a top model, it might be smart to wait and see what
the Frankfurth Musik Messe will show, just a couple of weeks now, and
that might help to lower the prices to a good used one too.

Kind regards
GJ

Btw, there are several websites providing styles, free or comercial for
most brands, but I guess this is not what is the most important to look
at when choosing a keyboard, or?
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#62916 - 03/02/02 12:22 PM Re: about buying a kb
Sparky Offline

Loc: lewiston maine usa
Quote:
Originally posted by Artaher:
Hi, friends
I'm novice in this forum. I will buy a kb next month, and I would know your opinion as technics fans.
I have seen PSR2000 (1000$) and KN6500 (2000$). I hope KN is better, because is double price, but... is it two times better? In what exactly Technics is better tha Yamaha? I like specially acoustic sounds (piano...), and warm styles. I have seen a lot of yamaha styles on the net... are something similar for Technics?
Thanks
Well Artaher, I just bought the kn6500 2 weeks ago and have used it a lot so far! It is very user friendly, most so than any yamaha, or any other keyboard out there for that matter. There are 156 buttons and controls on the thing! That means no flipping through menus! One thing I dont like about the yamaha is flipping thru menus! and I hate to correct mike but there is a mic input and harmonizer on the kn6500. you can convert styles to it from yamaha and other styles. So I wouldn't worry about that. One great thing I look for is sound. And a real important thing to me is how long will it take me to sequence a tune. the 6500 is quick and easy and the yamaha are slow and tedius, with all sorts of backspacing and searching thru menus! I can write a style in minutes on the 6500. I used to own a psr 730 and it was a pain in the ass. the newer and pro models are no better. yamaha really screwed up on that. The sounds on the 6500 are great. and so easy to edit and save.the best thing i like about the 6500 is the set up of the buttons. Not only are the over 150 of them but they are placed in the best arrangement I ever seen.The 6500 is also upgradable. You can copy from place to place and cut and paste on the 6500 also. One thing the 6500 also has I never saw is a tracking ball to control the souns as you play.Thats really cool. You can assign different parameters to the ball too! The 6500 also has drawbar organs! Awesome! With drawbar sliders on the huge display window! I paid 2900.00 for it and am not sorry. The thing is, it is easy to navigate and change as you play and in between songs. That is worth the extra cost to me. Think of all the time and frustration I will save over the years! I alsmost bought the yamaha 9000pro before I seen the 6500. Im glad I didnt. Sounds are better too! One cool thing about the 6500 too is that the display window is programable. Meaning you can have it change back to the last or narmal window after you select a different sound or parameter in how many seconds you want it too or hit the hold button for it to stay there. Or have it not change. It has a homepage and you can choose a picture to load into it and change the arrangement of the order of things displayed in it. Great machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So many things and menus are customizable. How will it act when commands are given? It all up to you!
Tony

#62917 - 03/02/02 01:15 PM Re: about buying a kb
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Hi Artaher
I have to agree with Gunnar Jonny here in that what really matters is what is in the eyes & ears of the beholder. At the end of the day it comes down to a personal choice.
You are likely to be met with a lot of Technics preferences here which is quite right seeing that it is a Technics discussion page of Synthzone.
You will be hard pushed to find a better top of the range keyboard than the KN6000/6500 but please bear in mind that it is very likely that after Frankfurt we Technics owners may well be drooling over a new KN7000 with whatever new delights that may bring.
Although the KN 6000/6500 vocal harmoniser was never rated as being much good & personally I think the same. The PSR2000 does not come anywhere near to the all round quality of the KN6/65 & at half the price you would not expect it too so Gunnar Jonny is correct in saying that the KN1600 would be a comparable alternative to the PSR2000
Regards Johnnie

#62918 - 03/02/02 01:37 PM Re: about buying a kb
Sparky Offline

Loc: lewiston maine usa
True, that the vocal harmonizer on the kn series truly stinks, but they all do that come on keyboards dont they.I think of that as just a toy. A bonus for your kid to play with. Oh thats right, I forgot, My kid aint gonna be messing with my keys! LOL

#62919 - 03/03/02 09:54 PM Re: about buying a kb
RicRob Offline

Loc: Bethlehem, PA, USA
Hello Artaher
Currently have a Technics KN5000 and Yamaha PSR2000 and over the years have had three Yamahas and three Technics. I liked each one for different reasons (voices, styles, operational functions, features).
Didn't get the KN6500 because there didn't seem to be enough differences between the 5 and 65 for the extra dollars, although I heard one and was impressed with it's sound. Both brands have their good and bad qualities and that is based on each individual's likes and dislikes and how the keyboard is going to be used (home use, on the road, training, etc). My personal opinion - I think the Technics is a better built board (assume the extra cost confirms that)- current one I have nearly four years and never had one problem with it. Technics' musical sytles to me are more dynamic although the PSR2000 seems to be a bit improved over previous models. On the other hand the 2000 has a lot of punch for the dollars and has many great features, some of which I wish the Technics had and probably will plus some new ones with next release. As so many others have said, it's an ever changing format and it would be to your advantage to see and try out each brand to see what fits your criteria.
Most of us (I know I do)who are into this arranger keyboard world feel apprehensive about buying a new board because tomorrow something new comes along.
Good Luck and hopefully the one you choose will give you many hours, months, years of musical enjoyment.

#62920 - 03/04/02 02:29 PM Re: about buying a kb
Artaher Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Thanks, friends. From your comments, I have only two questions finally:

1. Is piano sound a lot better on KN65000? I have played PSR2000, and I don't like a lot its piano sound. Really, I think my old and cheap Roland kb(E-36)had a better piano sound. Piano sound is very important for me, to make possible use the kb as a piano.

2. I know that a great advantage of Yamaha is that you may have a lot free styles on the net (I think it is not the same for Technics styles). I know also you may have styles from other manufacturers converted for technics format. But... do Roland or Yamaha converted styles sound as well on KN6500 as on its original kbs?

Cheers

Artaher

#62921 - 03/05/02 02:26 AM Re: about buying a kb
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Again, the answer is pretty much the same. It's only your ears who can
tell you about who sound best, and what you prefer.
Yamaha pianos is good in my ears, and so are Technics, Roland etc.

Regarding the styles, remember, about all of the Yamaha styles you'll
find around the web, are as most of such stuff, internal sets from older
or other keyboard models.
Also quite a lot are converted from other brands, and some are made by
the users around.
For all brands you usually have to buy genuine addon styles, either by
the webshops or the dealers, this is not freeware.

The converted styles have to be tweaked a bit, or a lot, depending of
what brand you convert to and from, and again, it's the ears who listen
who is the judge, because styles converted and tweaked by you and me,
will never sound alike, simply because of the taste, and the ears who
listen are different.
GJ

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 03-05-2002).]
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online