SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#65004 - 10/30/03 05:18 AM Digital Music Notebook
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
If you have not heard about this, it is a new Program-Web site being done by Yamaha and they are looking for beta testers. It's basically going to be as way to download and purchase Midi Music and Sheet Music for Midi Instruments. They are especially looking to Keyboard Players and they say it will work with all Midi Keyboards. It is being done through a partnership (YMH)between Yamaha Music Interactive, Music Sales Group (of Europe) and Hal Leonard Corporation (USA) .

Here is what the say about it:

"Digital Music Notebook is a major new multimedia platform for music tuition and performance. It offers digital delivery of the world's best selling sheet music and tuition materials, synchronisation of all media within a single application, and the implementation of additional music tools."

There is not a lot there yet but if you are interested you can go to the web site below.
http://www.digitalmusicnotebook.com/beta-test/

#65005 - 10/30/03 03:39 PM Re: Digital Music Notebook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shcox,
Signed up and have the player. Most of us already have players and software that duplicates what they offer. As a sheet music collector I am interested in costs to purchase individual pieces of music. One of my biggest complaints and that of my friends, if you want one tune, you have to purchase a whole book of Hal Leonards Publications to get the tune you want and the rest of the book is repeats of what you already have.
If they offer indivdual sheet music downloads at a reasonable price, as the CD industry are contemplating CD songs at .99 or less, I would be interested. Otherwise it is just another sales gimmic to sell music books.
Time will tell but they will get my input.

Thanks for your alerting us to a possible usefull site,

Fran in Florida

#65006 - 10/31/03 05:41 AM Re: Digital Music Notebook
shcox Offline

Hi Fran,

I agree with your view of sheet music books especially "Hal". It seems they just recycle the songs, sometimes in a different key but usually the same arrangment.

Where in Flordia are you, I'm in Leesburg.

And what kind of sheet music do you collect? I have a big box of music that belonged to my dad from the 30s, 40s, 50, and 60. Some are in great shape and some not so great but I've been looking for a place to sell them. I'd take any offer since I don't really read music. I have no idea if they are even worth anything.

Heather

#65007 - 10/31/03 11:41 AM Re: Digital Music Notebook
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
The method I use for sheet music I want and I have not got. I use midinotate. It has its own browser for midi file search. Download the midi file when found and midinotate will play it and transcribe the chords. I finish up by extracting the melody & chords and send it straight to my printer...brilliant.

Demo can be downloaded from www.midinotate.com

Graham UK

#65008 - 10/31/03 01:18 PM Re: Digital Music Notebook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Heather,

I am located in Palm Bay along side of Melbourne. You should hve no trouble in selling the sheet music. If you do a search with "google" you will find a lot of collectors who buy and sell.

Graham,

I too print music from midis with Power Tracks. However the many sites listing midis are just like Hal. Most are by the same sequencer and repeated on many of the sites. The music I enjoy is the 50s and older and there is not a lot of variation on the midi sites.

Fran in Florida

#65009 - 11/01/03 11:35 AM Re: Digital Music Notebook
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Heather and Fran
Your post picqued my interest and I too registered and installed the Notebook. I must agree that I don't see anything other than a sales gimmick and auto accompaniment that I already have on my KN7000. The rest is very rudimentary. I was hoping to get some real advantage as a beta tester,but don't see any. In case I am missing something,I will leave it on my computer in case one of you find something worthwhile.

For what it is worth,I use MidiNotate and live on the west side of Florida(Port Charlotte)

Thanks for the post
Bernie

#65010 - 11/01/03 06:39 PM Re: Digital Music Notebook
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bernie,
I decided to try it too, and I tend to agree with you, that it basically appears to be a sales gimmick.
I've left mine in the computer also for the time being.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]Hi Heather and Fran
Your post picqued my interest and I too registered and installed the Notebook. I must agree that I don't see anything other than a sales gimmick

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#65011 - 11/05/03 05:58 AM Re: Digital Music Notebook
shcox Offline

Hi Fran,

You're a little ways from me by not that far.

I don't like doing the collector thing to much because they all want you to be an expert (or collector) and be able to tell them every thing about it.

I too play more 30s, 40, 50 and 60s. Although I'm not that old. :-) I was lucky because my dad played a kind of honky-tonk piano so I grew up listen to and enjoying a lot of that music.

You're right about the midi sites. There used to be so much more of it out the and a bigger variety but so many on the ISPs refuse to let them be put up for download any more because of the Copyright thing.

I'm afraid the same would happen here if a site opened that allowed MP3 versions of the songs. ASCAP and BMI would want money for the performance rights. That's why so many of them are charging now.

I use Power Tracks as well. It's a great inexpensive program.

Best Wishes
Heather

#65012 - 11/05/03 10:54 PM Re: Digital Music Notebook
FlutteringBy Offline

Loc: Northern Canada
Hi All,

Very interesting reading about Midinotate, a program that I wasn't aware of...a quick question....is Midinotate able to transpose?....I just quickly scanned the site & saw that the tempo can be adjusted for learning purposes, but I couldn't find any mention of transpose....
So of course, the best people to ask are the ones who already have the proggie.....

Many Thanks,
FlutteringBy

#65013 - 11/06/03 01:13 AM Re: Digital Music Notebook
Mike ORegan Offline

Yep, MIDI Notate does feature transpose among many other useful things. For instance, it can convert a full MIDI arrangement into a fake/busker version. I don't know of another program capable of doing this automatically.
Mike O'R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online