SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#66440 - 01/31/08 03:06 PM Back In Love
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Ever since I bought the PA800 in August, looking forward, I have been concentrating on it. I now have it performance ready. As a matter of fact, I have been performing with it for a couple of months.

The point of my post is that I have revisited my KN7000, sitting sorrowfully on the other side of my studio. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. Well, it's true, in this case at least. In spite of the fact that it four years old, it has all the necessary functions, and wheras the Korg has some advantages for me, the quality of the KN7000 is readily apparent.

It is the same old story; no keyboard has it all,but, after a brief absence, I now appreciate the mighty KN7000 again. Since I have had it for a while, and put thousands of hours on it, I guess I took it for granted as old hat. Don't do it.
Bernie

#66441 - 01/31/08 05:22 PM Re: Back In Love
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
BERNIE.....

"....Seems to me, I've heard that song before... It's from an old familar score... etc."""

Keep on keepin' on! The 7K is just about unbeatable! I have had mine 5 years....best KB of the 2 Yammies & 5 KN's I have played in the 15 years I have been playing KB.

I think a great deal of preference in KB's has to do with the style of play a person likes and the type of music enjoyed. Most I know who prefer the 7K or any other Technics KB, are pretty senior citizens who grew up around the Big Band era. Correct me Zonies if I am way off base with this observation.

I am hoping if mine is gone before I am that there will be one good enough to compare with the TOTALLY AWESOME 7K!!!!

ELIZABETH

#66442 - 02/01/08 03:20 PM Re: Back In Love
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Elizabeth,

Sorry no offence, but I cannot agree that us oldies don't appreciate the modern styles offered on the KN7. To name but three songs I have in the 'funky stuff' (as my grandchildren say) 1) Teddy Bear's Picnic
2) Crazy For You and 3) My Kinda Gal..

Seriously though, why not try playing your favourite songs to the modern styles. You'd be surprised at how many CAN be played to Disco, Reggae etc., to be honest that's how I came to do those mentioned above, it's great fun and the bonus is, the younger members of my family tell their friends "my Nan's cool" and their parents tell their friends "I think my Mum's losing it" ha! ha!
Who cares, music of any kind is good for the 'soul' if you'll excuse the 'pun'

Audrey

#66443 - 02/02/08 06:39 AM Re: Back In Love
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
AUDREY.....

Yep! It is fun to try the "funky stuff" rhythms to all those old familiar songs we have heard before. I could not agree with you more.

One of my favorite rhythms is the "Siritaki" under the "World" button. Under the "Soul/R&B" button all the "Gospel" rhythms help give a lot of songs some new "bling." Several of the soul rhythms work nicely on many tunes that otherwise get a bit boring also...

The best part of my day is always exploring the 7K!

ELIZABETH

#66444 - 02/02/08 06:08 PM Re: Back In Love
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
There is no disputing that the KN7 has outstanding instruments sounds and great big band styles. But there are some fantastic options on other keyboards.
On my S900 Yamaha
1-I can put all my work on a memory stick.
7 t0 8 hundred styles –
2-Unlimited registrations –
3-A nice vocal harmonizer –
4-I have put in 300 text files which took me 20 minutes –
5-I push one registration button and I have –
A-A selected style
B-Selected instruments
C-Volume balance
D-And a text file –there is much more
6-I do not need my laptop any longer.
7-Audio line dances are on the memory stick and can be played using the keyboard.
8-The keyboard is close to 20 pounds less.
9-Registration button #1 can be made different than #2 – Expanded – Normal – and each button can be set up to save exactly what you want.
One set of eight registrations can have eight different types of data saved.
You can have as many sets of eight registrations as the memory stick will hold. I have a 2GB and a 4GB.

None of this changes the value of the KN7. I only post the above so that those who are interested can get true value information. I have found that I thoroughly enjoy getting into all the stuff that makes me think, it is a type of computer. My personal opinion is that when the Tyros 3 or whatever they will call it comes out will have some of the great sounds of the KN7. The trumpets have changed a great deal from the Tyros 1 to the Tyros 3.

Would I buy another KN7 if the opportunity comes? Yes! All the above make my head work – but the KN7 always reached the center of me.

John C.

#66445 - 02/02/08 06:10 PM Re: Back In Love
bruno123 Offline

There is no disputing that the KN7 has outstanding instruments sounds and great big band styles. But there are some fantastic options on other keyboards.
On my S900 Yamaha
1-I can put all my work on a memory stick.
7 t0 8 hundred styles –
2-Unlimited registrations –
3-A nice vocal harmonizer –
4-I have put in 300 text files which took me 20 minutes –
5-I push one registration button and I have –
A-A selected style
B-Selected instruments
C-Volume balance
D-And a text file –there is much more
6-I do not need my laptop any longer.
7-Audio line dances are on the memory stick and can be played using the keyboard.
8-The keyboard is close to 20 pounds less.
9-Registration button #1 can be made different than #2 – Expanded – Normal – and each button can be set up to save exactly what you want.
One set of eight registrations can have eight different types of data saved.
You can have as many sets of eight registrations as the memory stick will hold. I have a 2GB and a 4GB.

None of this changes the value of the KN7. I only post the above so that those who are interested can get true value information. I have found that I thoroughly enjoy getting into all the stuff that makes me think, it is a type of computer. My personal opinion is that when the Tyros 3 or whatever they will call it comes out will have some of the great sounds of the KN7. The trumpets have changed a great deal from the Tyros 1 to the Tyros 3.

Would I buy another KN7 if the opportunity comes? Yes! All the above make my head work – but the KN7 always reached the center of me.

John C.

#66446 - 02/02/08 06:12 PM Re: Back In Love
bruno123 Offline

Did I really post the same post twice – some people can be annoying, sorry.

John C.

#66447 - 02/03/08 03:13 AM Re: Back In Love
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
John, you are never annoying. The interesting thing to me is that 90% of your list describes the KN7000 6 yrs ago. I remember clearly the days when the SD card caused so much confusion. Some vowed never to use it. I actually like it better than a mem stick. Granted, one can mix and match different formats, like my PA800, and there is a 99 file limitation. By using Panel Mem, you could extend that by a factor of 8.

I started using my SD Jukebox, and the only drawback is that I can't change key like the Korg. A quick fix can be found on my Keyshifter program, where I can change tempo and key.

My only point is that most of our KN7000 members would be reluctant to sell to gain a few conveniences. On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoy my PA800, but not enough to sell my KN7000.
Bernie

#66448 - 02/03/08 05:53 AM Re: Back In Love
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
You will be demonstrating the S900 at the Jam? Not that I am buying, but am always interested in new technology.

Fran in SC

#66449 - 02/03/08 06:24 AM Re: Back In Love
bruno123 Offline

Bernie, Sd verses the memory stick – big difference in how the keyboard operates with them. In the KN7 you have the preset styles and the 23 other styles (User) if want an additional style you must load it from the SD card.

With the S900 the registration memory can select from over 400
+ user styles (Limited by the memory stick) – select a text (Lyrics) from over 265 songs I have put my memory stick and all in less than two seconds after the button is pressed.

1-The use of my computer for lyrics with chords/text is no longer needed.
2-I can take every preset style, rework it in the same way you do the 23 user styles on the KN7 and have the styles perform as I want them. The difference is 23 user styles against an unlimited number of user styles. One of my frustrations with the KN7 is that I did not like some of the OTS instrument settings -- and I had to create a user styles for each preset styles. I now have the freedom of choice to select a styles with my favorite settings, I can have as many user styles that want.

1-Select Registrations
2-Select the bank of eight songs to select from.
3-Select “UP” and you have more banks of eight
Each page in step #2 contains a selection of 80 songs – you have unlimited pages available.

There is more -- but, I need to say if you are not playing live, or if you are creating a sequence much of this has no real value. When playing live I can excess any song, lyrics, style and settings in my repertoire in a few seconds.
The bad part is that there is a learning curve, I can not think the same as I did with my KN7.

My setup
1-Keyboard and stand weight 25 pounds
2-Micrphone and stand
3-One or two powered JBL 10” speakers – about 28 pounds each.
4-The keyboard has my Vocal Harmony and all my lyrics and chords.

The ideal
To have one KN7 at home and one all purpose 25 pound keyboard to travel. This past week I took my set up to a camp meeting, I setup very quickly with little effort.

John C.

Yes Fran I will demonstrate the S900 at the jam if all goes well.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online